Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

If you could choose between a 2016 25 LSV and a 2018 Axis A24


NorNevRider

Recommended Posts

I am very new to boat ownership and being offered these two boats at the same price. I have owned a number of smaller watercraft and that is the real extent of my boat ownership history. The 25 LSV has a 450 motor while the A24 has a 409. They are similarly geared at 1.72:1 and 1.79:1. The LSV is obviously a little prettier but the A24 has the new wake plus hull design. The LSV originally retails for 147,000 in 2016 and yes it is brand new with a 1 hour demo. I would appreciate all the feedback I can get, but I really want opinions from people who have surfed and or driven the 25 LSV as I suspect it may handle a little sluggishly vs the wake plus hull with gorilla finned A24. Both have the full ballast systems. Neither has a heater. The A24 has a slightly higher end stereo system or Wetsounds 3 package.

Link to comment

That is what I thought about the gearing but the dealer says it's a 1.79:1 and I am sure that it is a 17 inch prop. Is the 25 LSV prop a 15"? I cannot recall. It's a pretty interesting decision based on all the good I hear about the 18 A24. But finish on the 25 is decent. Are you positive about the closed loop cooling? And your point is that the salty Pyramid water would be corrosive?  I am glad you replied and was actually going to message you directly. Have you seen this 25 at the dealership?

Link to comment
51 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

all things being equal, resale will be better on the 25 all day every day.... but things are never equal and the interior on that one is a little "red" if it's the one I'm thinking of?  

 

Nothing wrong with red IMHO.  ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, NorNevRider said:

That is what I thought about the gearing but the dealer says it's a 1.79:1 and I am sure that it is a 17 inch prop. Is the 25 LSV prop a 15"? I cannot recall. It's a pretty interesting decision based on all the good I hear about the 18 A24. But finish on the 25 is decent. Are you positive about the closed loop cooling? And your point is that the salty Pyramid water would be corrosive?  I am glad you replied and was actually going to message you directly. Have you seen this 25 at the dealership?

I've seen it and seen the pics on the website, but have not been in it.  

Yes, closed cooling is better for pyramid because of the alkalinity.  You still have to flush and the water is still corrosive, but only to the exhaust manifolds and heat exchanger, not the heads/block.

If price is equal, you have way more creature comforts on the 25 than the A24.  Dash, upholstery, tower, etc etc.  If those things don't cost you anything, and you like the colors, I'm not sure why this would be a tough decision at all. 

Haha if anything you've now kinda announced to the world that they're ready to deal so better call back ASAP before somebody reads this thread and steals it from you! Kidding. Kinda.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The 25 is the boat I really want.  I haven't been in the new A24, but I do know that neither my wife or I like the overall design of the Axis (especially the windshield). 

I know that looks are subjective, so my opinion might be different than yours.  But I would also do the 25 all day long.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, NorNevRider said:

Is the 25 LSV prop a 15"?

Yes it is.  I don't have any experience with a 25LSV with a 17" prop but I have been happy with the performance of my 2016 with the 15" prop.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, NorNevRider said:

I am very new to boat ownership and being offered these two boats at the same price. I have owned a number of smaller watercraft and that is the real extent of my boat ownership history. The 25 LSV has a 450 motor while the A24 has a 409. They are similarly geared at 1.72:1 and 1.79:1. The LSV is obviously a little prettier but the A24 has the new wake plus hull design. The LSV originally retails for 147,000 in 2016 and yes it is brand new with a 1 hour demo. I would appreciate all the feedback I can get, but I really want opinions from people who have surfed and or driven the 25 LSV as I suspect it may handle a little sluggishly vs the wake plus hull with gorilla finned A24. Both have the full ballast systems. Neither has a heater. The A24 has a slightly higher end stereo system or Wetsounds 3 package.

Careful u may be banned from TMC for asking such a question! 

Could u seriously drive around the lake and live with yourself and say but I coulda been in a Malibu 25 lsv? 

25 with 450 hands down .. resale . Comforts, closed cooling , wave length. And frankly still drives like a sports car for the size. Tower!! List goes on and on.

Sluggish.. NO not with 450 so long as you not crazy elevation.. no problems surfing with 19 ppl aboard and full ballast

Just giving ya a hard time.. good luck

Edited by The Hulk
Link to comment

The 25 handles damn good for a huge boat. Better then all of the pickle fork boats I've driven. Including the 2017 mxz I just drove. Not that the mxz was bad I just fell traditional bow boats handle better. 

Although being at elevation, I can't comment on which will perform better. I want to say the A24 because of the 17" prop but that's just a gut feeling. 

After now driving and surfing all boats in the Axis/Malibu line up, minus the new A24 but that will happen soon. I still love the 25 over all. If that makes any difference. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
Link to comment
1 minute ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

The 25 handles damn good for a huge boat. Better then all of the pickle fork boats I've driven. Including the 2017 mxz I just drove. Not that the mxz was bad I just fell traditional bow boats handle better. 

Although being at elevation, I can't comment on which will perform better. I want to say the A24 because of the 17" prop but that's just a gut feeling. 

450 will be better and longer running surface should help..  if concerned get torque prop and no issues.. I think it comes stock with torque prop instead of the 2277.. 

2:1 is nice but not a must as your getting a deal on a 25lsv and getting hosed on the new A24.. when u resale u will minimize an even bigger gap.. the 25 has already taken the hit .. the A 24 hit is forthcoming on you.. 

Link to comment

My money wouldn't think twice about the 25 LSV in this competition. You should just head to malibuboatsgear.com and buy yourself a t shirt. Looks like you may be a new 'bu owner. 

Link to comment
15 hours ago, RyanB said:

The 25 is the boat I really want.  I haven't been in the new A24, but I do know that neither my wife or I like the overall design of the Axis (especially the windshield). 

I know that looks are subjective, so my opinion might be different than yours.  But I would also do the 25 all day long.

my beef with the windshield is on windy days when we would surf my buddies axis, water would splash and blow in where the windshield stops. Thats pretty annoying when ppl want to stay dry.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thanks for the help. I was pretty convinced before. My concern was just burning more fuel for the same power and is that solvable by adding a 17 inch prop to the LSV? I've never posted but figured I'd get good help. This is pretty cool.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...