Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Factory Tower Options

mrnate450r

Sorry if this has been covered already. I am ordering a 2018 23 LSV, but I don't want 2 pair of Rev 10s. Can I order just the tower amp and add my own Rev 10s? How hard is it to add to the new DSP system and Viper? Could I add my own amp and Rev 10s and still have zone control?

Its not very difficult to add your own amp. But it will take some skill. There are no RCA outputs on the new Viper radio outputs, so you'll need to cut/solder some onto the factory wiring. Not hard if you know what to do. There was another thread here where a member bought the matching plugs and plugged into the factory harness as well. 

38 minutes ago, mrnate450r said:

Can I order just the tower amp

Your dealer can confirm this, but Malibu stopped doing 1-off/partial options a number of years ago. You either get the full option as is or dont order it. With that said, your dealer should be able to order the OEM DSP tower amp and any needed factory cabling for you post build. However, for Rev-10's, id op for a different amp, like the Syn-DX4 or SD-2 for a single pair. 

On my 2018 22VLX build I was able to order the tower amp with no tower speakers. It was not an option in the dealer system, my dealer had to call the factory and then pencil it in on my purchase agreement to account for it. MSRP was $1,100 if I remember right. I did not want four Rev 10's, and Malibu would not offer just a single pair. I also did not want to break my back trying to wire an amp in the clamshell, so I got the factory installed tower speaker amp so it's all wired and ready to just bolt on my Exile XM9's when it all arrives.  

Edited by Brett B
  • Like 2

If I can order only the tower amp, can I buy a Syn-DX4 and have it be a plug and play replacement for the Syn-DX2? Then add my own pair of Rev 10s? 1 pair of Rev 10s powered at 400 watts each should have similar output to two pair powered at 185 watts each, am I correct? 

Heres the possible scenario I see with that. Wet Sounds not retail the malibu DSP amps, so there is no compatible Syn-DX4 that would be plug-n-play. 2nd, Although malibu offers a Syn-DX4DSP as the bass interior amp option, it is set up and tuned for that in-boat application., There is no plug and tune that exists for your rev-10 configuration. 

Why not just have your local Wet Sounds dealer do the install for you. Should be less expensive then shelving brand new OEM take-out gear.  

• 4 weeks later...

On 12/6/2017 at 7:55 AM, MLA said:

200W rms to ea speaker with a single pair and 185W rms to each speaker with 2 pair. https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/SYN-DX2

Is the same amp used regardless of speakers ordered or do they offer higher powered amps for the rev-10s?

Does that factory use one amp if you do two sets of icon 8s or rev 8s?  If I do one set of icon 8s or rev 8s from the factory do I need to add another amp to run a second pair?

@SouthsideBoarder

If 2018 offerings are the same as the 2017, then Malibu offers a single amp option for the tower, whether its one pair, 2 pair, icon-8, rev-8, rev-10. its the Wet Sounds Malibu Syn-DX2-DSP. Im not a Bu dealer or associated with Bu, so double check with your dealer just to be sure. 

1 minute ago, MLA said:

@SouthsideBoarder

If 2018 offerings are the same as the 2017, then Malibu offers a single amp option for the tower, whether its one pair, 2 pair, icon-8, rev-8, rev-10. its the Wet Sounds Malibu Syn-DX2-DSP. Im not a Bu dealer or associated with Bu, so double check with your dealer just to be sure. 

Thanks. 

I was able to get one pair of factory rev 10s on my LSV order.  Here is how I did it.

1. Order without tower speakers from the factory

2. Have your dealer order one pair of rev 10s, rev 10 factory mounts, and tower amp from their parts department.

3. Dealer installs when the boat arrives.  

Note: the factory amp for 2 pair of rev8s is a 500w amp.  The rev 10s get a 1000w amp.  Even though I ordered only one pair of rev 10s, I got the upgraded amp.

with dealer install, it cost me $300 more for the rev 10s then ordering 1 pair of rev8s from the factory.  

31 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Note: the factory amp for 2 pair of rev8s is a 500w amp.  The rev 10s get a 1000w amp.

Interesting, as these specs do not line up with anything offered by Malibu or even Wet Sounds. 

2 hours ago, MLA said:

Interesting, as these specs do not line up with anything offered by Malibu or even Wet Sounds. 

Yeah, I was a little confused too.  I asked my dealer for more details, but he didn’t have any.  I’m gonna just roll with it and hope everything sounds good. 

On 12/6/2017 at 12:16 PM, MLA said:

Find one that is. 

I wish it were this easy.   Shops in the midwest that know boat audio are basically non-existent from my searches.    Sure, I can find them, but most are only adept at putting a few marine grade components in a pontoon.    

@mrnate450r   I would still go stereo delete if ordering new.    From my experience in a 2017, the WS system and integration still left some things to be desired given the price tag on the build sheet.   Of course, I'm still bitter over how poor the systems were in 2016.   lol

I know. I just don't want to hassle with doing it myself or towing it to who knows where to have it done. Ty, P5 rep, knows the guys at Scream Marine in Dallas and I would feel comfortable with them doing it. However, getting it there and back would be a chore. 

H&H Audio in Olathe seem to be legit and are a WS dealer I think.   Not sure they really know how to tune for a boat environment, but if you are selecting all componenets based on feedback from the Crew, I would think H&H could do a quality installation and then you could tune with them to your preferences.   Just a thought.   I know, not as easy as just ordering from the factory, but you may get more bang for your buck.  You could at least call them and have them quote the system and install to get a feel for it vs. the factory price you are paying. 

On 12/28/2017 at 7:00 PM, MLA said:

@SouthsideBoarder

So do you know if I buy a new boat and do the factory amp with one set of icon 8 speakers. If I add a second later do I just plug them into the same amp as the first set and don’t use a second amp?

If I use the same amp would I need to have it retuned for the second set or since it’s  the same speaker do I just plug and play and adjust the level since there’s now two sets versus one?

2 hours ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

If I add a second later do I just plug them into the same amp as the first set and don’t use a second amp

Basically, yes, you will just wire the 2nd pair in parallel with the 1st pair. No additional amp needed.

2 hours ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

If I use the same amp would I need to have it retuned for the second set

In theory, yes. The 2 ohm x 2 gain level will be different then the original 4 ohm x 2 setting. Since 2 pair is a factory option, your dealer should be able to obtain a tune dongle from Malibu, for 2 pair.