Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing Video (Question about a hose)

I watched this video on winterizing and thought this seems like a good idea.. at around 6:45 in the video he unhooked the hose that brings in the water and looks like he has hooked up a temporary hose about 3 feet long he is using to pour the antifreeze in... where can I pick one of those up and does this look like a fairly simple solution to getting all the pink stuff through??  

You can buy a hose like he put on from a auto parts store (auto zone) they will cut whatever length you want. Did something similar but modified the top of the hose to attach a garden hose to it thru a 5 gallon jug that holds the antifreeze. You can find the jug with the fittings on Overtons web site for $45 search winterizing storage. Made it simple to do.

Edited by Idaorr
Spelling

One of my first mods - I cut the supply hose that comes from the through hull fitting and put a PVC T-fitting in there. (The grey stuff from Lowes.)

LASCO-Lasco-Pvc-Barbed-Reducing-Tee-1-1,

In the threaded section I put a ball valve with a garden hose adapter.

Flushing my system is now super easy - close the ball valve on the through hull fitting, open the ball valve on the t-fitting and hook up garden hose...

When I still had to winterize, I used a piece of garden hose hooked up to my “flush port” after the engine had warmed up, stuck the hose in an antifreeze canister (or two) until empty.

Edited by Chaabo
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 3:08 PM, atolman said:

Looks like he just unhooked the hose from the intake side of the v-drive and pulled it so it's sticking straight up. 

Any issues with doing this?? Seems too easy... 

That's right. It is not. 

Unless you drain first (filling an air-filled system with antifreeze) or drain after running antifreeze through a water filled system, there's no way to know that you've diluted the water in the block sufficiently to provide freeze protection, which is the whole point of winterizing.  If you just drain and don't bother with adding antifreeze, you are sure to be safe.  Air won't crack your block, water will.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 3
11 hours ago, DylanR said:

If you’re pouring the Anti-Freeze and running it through that way it is winterizing is it not? 

This is where the confusion comes.  The antifreeze going through the system, and coming out the exhaust, may have not gone through the block at all.  The thermostat acts as a gate that controls which path the incoming water (or antifreeze) takes.  If the engine temp is below the opening point of the thermostat (likely while winterizing), it will simply divert the incoming coolant straight out the exhaust, bypassing the engine block.

9 minutes ago, MadMan said:

This is where the confusion comes.  The antifreeze going through the system, and coming out the exhaust, may have not gone through the block at all.  The thermostat acts as a gate that controls which path the incoming water (or antifreeze) takes.  If the engine temp is below the opening point of the thermostat (likely while winterizing), it will simply divert the incoming coolant straight out the exhaust, bypassing the engine block.

Correct.  This is why the factory service manuals always recommends pulling drain plugs.  It is also only 2 bolts on most inboards to pull the t-stat.  I put about a half gallon of antifreeze in through that housing with the thermostat pulled and then close it all up.  It's completely unnecessary but when it's -10 like last night it gives me a placebo effect and I feel a little better.  

i drained the block and garden hose fitting about a month ago.... 

going to drain the other hoses today for peace of mind. As shown in this video 

Which flush pro do you all recommend for a 2010 LCR 320?