Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

FAE Muffler Bypass - review + many pictures

Nitrousbird

I did the FAE muffler bypass at the beginning of this season.
Product:
- Price was high for what you get - $190.25 shipped
- Lack of mandrel bends is unfortunate, as is being totally unfinished
- Fit was decent.  One side fit better than the other (I think it was the starboard side that had the better fit).  Regardless, no issues with 60+ hours on them so not a problem and I never fiddled with them once post initial install.  Paint held up well; just did a ton of thin rattle can coats of high temp paint.

Performance Review
- Performance gain for sure.  I lost about 5MPH when I installed the FAE originally.  I gained a little back going to a 15" prop.  The bypass gained me an additional 1MPH - all measured by two different GPS units on the same water/conditions/loads and is consistently repeatable.  100% factual that the bypass increases power way around it.
- It is noticeable how much more water comes out of the FAE pipe vs the weep holes when on the hose at idle - obviously less back pressure in the exhaust system
- Sound wise, I think it sound the same except at WOT, where the boat got a bit more of the aggressive sound back.  My buddy who is with us most times out thought it was a little quieter.  For certain it isn't any louder
- Space increase is significant.  Far easier to work on that part of the motor now with the additional space.

Pics below.  It is a worthwhile mod but for the price should come either painted or polished SS and be mandrel bends...heck, I'd pay a little more for a mandrel bent SS product.

Edit: Image Tagged Links:

Before:

20170512_180119_resized_zpsjslnelim.jpg

20170509_195933_resized_zpsfm3cep5k.jpg
20170509_195918_resized_zpsvjukyl7c.jpg
20170509_195911_resized_zps9owxd0te.jpg

After:
20170512_173331_resized_zpsd3d4dn1j.jpg
20170512_194507_resized_zpspwffzbys.jpg
20170512_194511_resized_zpstoc4t3ox.jpg
20170512_194501_resized_zpshahbqpdb.jpg

Edited by Nitrousbird
Added hosted images
59 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

- Sound wise, I think it sound the same except at WOT, where the boat got a bit more of the aggressive sound back.  My buddy who is with us most times out thought it was a little quieter.  For certain it isn't any louder

- Space increase is significant.  Far easier to work on that part of the motor now with the additional space.

Same for me, except I did my own homegrown fix.  Myself and others thought it was just slightly quieter.  But for sure the best part is a lot of free space reclaimed.  If nothing else, it makes impeller and belt changes much easier.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2017 at 7:32 PM, nlouthan said:

I just ran exhaust hose straight from the exhaust manifold to the through hull ports.  Had to use the wire reinforced hose.  Works great.

so no worry about water getting into the engine when you go from speed to neutral..ie; having the water backflow up the fae and directly into the engine as opposed to having to get thru the bafffled silent rider first?

Not worried at all.  The opening of the FAE is pointed down, not back and the water would have a long way to go to make into the engine.  On top of that, the exhaust is pushing against the water coming in.

3 hours ago, Chia said:

so no worry about water getting into the engine when you go from speed to neutral..ie; having the water backflow up the fae and directly into the engine as opposed to having to get thru the bafffled silent rider first?

I would think this would be more of a concern when you sink the rear of the boat with ballast.

2 hours ago, formulaben said:

@Chia, FWIW I ran this setup all last season and at 80 hours on the boat with surfing, foiling, a handful of wakeboard pulls, cove dwelling, and general cruising.  Not a single issue.

2 hours ago, formulaben said:

@Chia, FWIW I ran this setup all last season and at 80 hours on the boat with surfing, foiling, a handful of wakeboard pulls, cove dwelling, and general cruising.  Not a single issue.

Thanks

On 12/13/2017 at 3:42 PM, samcole88 said:

Where did you purchase the bypass system? I'm having a hard time finding it.

From Fresh Air Exhaust directly. I can't recall if it was on their site or if I just had to contact Larry directly. 

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:40 PM, MadMan said:

I would think this would be more of a concern when you sink the rear of the boat with ballast.

Think about the number of boats that don't have a muffler.

I sink ours about as far as I safely can with zero issues.