Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Wraps - Restorations

MN_LSV

Thinking of doing some restorations on my 2003 Wakesetter 23LSV.  Boat is all black with "Tribal" logo on each side.  Original owner kept in on a lift for 4 years, and we've been dealing with oxidation above the rub rail for 10 years.  Tried having it professionally sanded and buffed, but didn't last long.  Has anyone had their Bu's wrapped? How has it held up? I received an estimate for $3200 for a full wrap, any design I choose.  Waiting for interior upholstery estimates to come in to see how of my restoration budget is left...  Any input on restorations, upholstery and or wraps would be appreciated.

I got my last boat wrapped, looked awesome and held up great. however, you need to be aware that is is not paint and is more likely to get small nicks/scratches from minor bumps. If I was to do it again I would ask to have an additional clear wrap over top to help protect it.

16 hours ago, MN_LSV said:

Thinking of doing some restorations on my 2003 Wakesetter 23LSV.  Boat is all black with "Tribal" logo on each side.  Original owner kept in on a lift for 4 years, and we've been dealing with oxidation above the rub rail for 10 years.  Tried having it professionally sanded and buffed, but didn't last long.  Has anyone had their Bu's wrapped? How has it held up? I received an estimate for $3200 for a full wrap, any design I choose.  Waiting for interior upholstery estimates to come in to see how of my restoration budget is left...  Any input on restorations, upholstery and or wraps would be appreciated.

After it was sanded and buffed, what were you using for wax and how often were you re-applying it?  Seems odd that oxidation would re-appear after a sanding unless the finish was not being maintained.

• Like 1

Spent 2000k several year back to have it sanded and buffed at "the other brands" dealership in town (Midwest Watersports).  They recommended using McGuiar's Marine 56 Caranuba Blend pure wax.  Looked pretty good after 2-3 coats, but had to re-wax every few weeks after weekend day use (stored covered and/or in garage when not in us).  Took it on week long camping vacation to VNP.  Applied two-2 coats of wax before hand and finish was getting dull by the end of the vacation.  The last few years I have tried several different waxes, polishes and products but it just won't hold the shine.  It doesn't look too bad from a distance, but up close it is definitely looks faded. 

Sounds like what you were using should have been good enough as long as you were not doing wipe downs with one of the water spot removing products (vinegar strips wax).  A good past wax like collinite will hold up better than liquid, but you shouldn't have to be re-waxing every few weeks.  Side note - there was actually someone at Midwest paying attention long enough for you to get work done?  I live a few blocks away and I'm not sure what the kids in there do all day but they never seem to be at the counter.

Edited by oldjeep

You need to have it wetsanded again, and they need to go a little further than they probably did. Wetsand, hard cut polish, finish polish, then do a couple layers of synthetic sealant. 

It's quite a process, and there are no real shortcuts. Just be sure to use the proper equipment and that will make it go faster. But, if you take the time to do it right, you can usually get that oxidation to stay away. The problem is, it's probably pretty deep, which is why you have to cut it more than you think you should.

Just don't go all the way through the color. 

• Like 1