Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

50k budget which boat?

Dmax3311

Hey guys I’ve been looking for about 6 months now and the more I look and read the more confused I become. I have a 50k budget and started looking at the axis and Malibu lsv but I’m not sure what to go with. We mostly wake surf and pull a couple tubes. What’s going to be a good boat for us? I love the Malibu and Supra boats but like the idea of the axis surf gate. Any help is appreciated. 

Yeah I’ve noticed a few on there and talked to a few guys that are willing to take 50k for a 14 axis. Just not sure about the axis. I know the Malibu boats hold value very well. Would be just as good buying a 2011 or 12 lsv 23 or mxz 22?

I think you’re closer to $60k for an 11’ or 12’ 23 LSV in good condition but you might find someone motivated to move below that if they’re upgrading, or if you can live with extra wear and tear.

If you mostly surf, that era of 22 MXZ isn’t a great fit. 

A lot of it will depend on your location and how far your willing to travel. My 2010 VLX is just under your max budget.  You will notice while looking, every $5-7k you add puts you in another caliber of boat, before you know it, $85-90k starts looking appealing!

I started with a $50k budget when I was looking.  Budget creep got me bad, and I ended up buying new.

To answer your question, I would choose an Axis with Surfgate over an '11 or '12 Malibu without.

I really don't think you would regret increasing your budget enough to get something with a surf system.

10 hours ago, Dmax3311 said:

. Just not sure about the axis. I know the Malibu boats hold value very well. Would be just as good buying a 2011 or 12 lsv 23 or mxz 22?

I think all v-drives are holding their value right now. I can tell you that most of the Axis 2014's out there for sale that don't have options like flake and SP3 are being sold for numbers very close to the original purchase price. Boats with more options like flake, lighting, SP3 take a slightly larger hit, but still hold value very well.

Surfgate is a #gamechanger. If your budget allows it, I wouldn't pass it up...if you plan to surf even 50% of the time.

If you're trying hard to stick to a strict budget, best advice I can offer is to buy in fall right before they have to winterize and store. 

Probably not an easy option for you wanting to hit the water this coming season.

Don't pass up checking places like ski it again weekly as well.  Some great deals coming and going on there lately.

Edited by Pra4sno

Thanks guys! The budget creep has already started lol but I have found a 2014 a22 with surf gate with 230hrs guys is willing to do 50k on it. You think it’s something’s to jump or should I look a little more? I’d do closer to 60k if I could find a Malibu with surf gate 

• 3 weeks later...

Alright guys local marina has me a 2017 demo axis a22 with 10 hrs for 64k and a 2014 21vlx woth 108 hrs for 60k. Need some help deciding. Both boats are loaded upgraded audio and nice trailers. 

What kind of warranty would you get on the 2014, you would be the 2nd owner? There is always value in a warranty, especially with boats like these that are custom made. Demo them both for sure, my guess is after driving them both, you will know what you want.

2 hours ago, Dmax3311 said:

Alright guys local marina has me a 2017 demo axis a22 with 10 hrs for 64k and a 2014 21vlx woth 108 hrs for 60k. Need some help deciding. Both boats are loaded upgraded audio and nice trailers. 

That budget creep got ya didn't it!

2 hours ago, Infinitysurf said:

What kind of warranty would you get on the 2014, you would be the 2nd owner? There is always value in a warranty, especially with boats like these that are custom made. Demo them both for sure, my guess is after driving them both, you will know what you want.

A 2014 would have a 3 year warranty so there is most likely nothing left. If it’s me, I’d offer 60k on the a22 and use things like pw2 on 18s to justify my pricing to the dealer. 

1 hour ago, jwl019 said:

That budget creep got ya didn't it!

That’s nothing compared to what I’m working on... 🤦‍♂️

yes Lol budget creep hit hard. No warranty on the 14 one owner though nice boat. I’m leaning towards the axis for the simple reason of being a new boat with warranty for 4 more thousand. But I love the perks of the Malibu. Power wedge and all the electronics. Just wanted some other opinions. 

17 a22 all day.  Might want to check with my local dealer they are sitting on some left over 17's Marine Outfitters north of Chattanooga not that far from North Georgia. 

I would probably go with the newer Axis for the warranty between those boats.  

Now, if budget creep is really sinking in , new 21VLX would be like $80.  Maybe better financing rate on a new boat vs used boat rates too.  

Don’t feel too pressured to increase even your 50K budget though - keep money in your pocket for gear, gas, etc   It all adds up FAST!

• Like 1

jb 156 that’s who I’m dealing with! I actually work there in Charleston. If you are familiar I’m looking at the purple and white A22. Joyce has been great and seem like good people!

• 2 weeks later...

I went through this a couple years ago and ended up with a 12 Axis a22. My creep went from 30 to 44. I wish I had creeped up to 60. Don't get me wrong, I love our boat and 60k was way out of our budget, but now I'm creeping again. After having the boat for a couple years; this is what I would want; Surf Gate is an absolute deal breaker, high-flo pumps, better quality interior, I would go larger than 22 and upgrade the motor.

Here's something; two years after we bought our boat, it's worth about the same as it was then. If you spend an extra 20, you'll get it back if and when you trade or sell it.

Also, we're very happy we bought from a local dealer.