Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Batteries.

onewake09

Im sure this has been asked but i couldnt find anything in the search function. My 17' axis came with two batteries and a selector switch. I was told by a member on another forum they should be identical batteries. Well they are not. Both Deka brand, but one is clearly a deep cycle and one is a "starting" type battery. So should they match, and if so is it better to use two deep cycles or or standard battery. Im also upgrading my stereo and thinking about adding a 3rd battery. Would I have one battery hooked up to position 1 for starting and the other two hooked up in parallel to position 2 on the switch? Sounds right to me but I figured Id ask. Also thinking Optimas, any reason why thats overkill?

Jason

3 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

they should be identical batteries.

No need for them to be, since they are separated by a dual battery switch. You have the ability the use them in different ways, like one for cranking and one for house while on the hook. In this manor, I would not want them to be the same. 

5 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

one is clearly a deep cycle and one is a "starting" type battery.

Nothing wrong with this setup, if it meets your use, as described above. All though a deep-cycle can start most any engine, they are better suited to NOT pull this duty on a regular basis. A designated cranking battery or dual-purpose is best. 

8 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

Im also upgrading my stereo and thinking about adding a 3rd battery. Would I have one battery hooked up to position 1 for starting and the other two hooked up in parallel to position 2 on the switch?

2 part question here. 1) increasing the house bank AH is a good idea. Two ways to do it, upgrade to a single larger battery are wire 2 small batteries in parallel. Since you have a dual bank and a deep-cycle already and want to add a 2nd to the house bank, you will be better served by going with 2 brand new like batteries, rather than wire a new battery in parallel to an existing used battery. They will not charge and discharge at the same rate, due to the age difference. 

12 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

Also thinking Optimas, any reason why thats overkill?

Kind of under-kill for the money in all honesty. Besides the fact that you would not want to wire one in parallel to your existing deep-cycle for the same reason above and more, Optimas are quite pricey compared to their performance, especially in the case of amp hours. Their largest 31 series has the Ah of a typical group-24 wet cell. A comparable 29 or 31 wet cell will have about 60% AH for half the price. If you want to go with 2 new AGM on the house side, there are brands that offer a better price to Ah value. 

MLA hit the nail on the head.  I am biased towards always keeping all batteries the same but if they are mostly isolated from each other, it is probably no big deal.  

MLA - in his case with 2 different batteries and no onboard charger, it would seem the batteries are going to be charged only when combined, and might that result in some decreased lifespan?  (I am assuming no onboard charger to keep the batteries fully charged separately).  

@trr

good observation. Lets presume he has a traditional 1/2/BOTH switch, so there is no ACR to send some alternator charge directly to the house bank, and it would have to be done manually through the switch position. Depending on use, he has two options, A run the switch combined and both banks get some charger or B, run the switch on which ever bank he feels needs some charge. 

Combined through the switch with the batteries in use both receiving a charge and being drawn upon, will not have the same effect on them as wiring 2 in parallel as a permanent. Also, alternators dont charge batteries in the same way as an on-board charger evaluates, conditions, charges and maintains. Alternators are simple and just respond to load/demand. 

In short, I have no issue with having a wet cell cranking and AGM house batteries divided by a dual bank switch. 

9 hours ago, MLA said:

@trr

good observation. Lets presume he has a traditional 1/2/BOTH switch, so there is no ACR to send some alternator charge directly to the house bank, and it would have to be done manually through the switch position. Depending on use, he has two options, A run the switch combined and both banks get some charger or B, run the switch on which ever bank he feels needs some charge. 

Combined through the switch with the batteries in use both receiving a charge and being drawn upon, will not have the same effect on them as wiring 2 in parallel as a permanent. Also, alternators dont charge batteries in the same way as an on-board charger evaluates, conditions, charges and maintains. Alternators are simple and just respond to load/demand. 

In short, I have no issue with having a wet cell cranking and AGM house batteries divided by a dual bank switch. 

So what is the desired operation procedure? Start boat on position 1, then turn to position 2? or both? Im assuming while boat is running that whatever position the switch is in is what batteries are being charged by alternator, right? If I were to pull up at a dock or beach and want to play some tunes I would most certainly leave switch on "2" and so I always had the other battery to start boat right? Thats my thinking anyway. 

if everything is wired in the most ideal manor, then you can crank and run on 1 when all batteries are charged, anchor on 2. Refire on one 1 or 2 depending on state of 2, then run on 2 to recharge some.  

Ok good. Thats what I thought. Now I have to stare at all this new Wetsounds stuff I ordered for the boat until I get it back from the dealer. New MC 1 head unit, Rev10's, and SD 2 going in. So pumped!!

30 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Side question: Can you turn the switch from battery 1, 2, or both while the boat is on, or should the boat be turned off while switching?

No, do NOT do that. Damage could result.

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Side question: Can you turn the switch from battery 1, 2, or both while the boat is on, or should the boat be turned off while switching?

Yes, absolutely, just dont go through OFF while engine is running. The switch is a make-before-break, so it makes the next connection before letting go of the previous connection. Except for OFF as noted. 

An ACR is a great setup, but IMO, the 1/2/BOTH switch is not the most ideal switch for it. Best used with the Dual Circuit Plus OFF/ON/COMBINE switch. 

Edited by MLA

What size batteries did others receive with their boats?    I was a little surprised that both of mine where rated 550 cca when even the manual suggests 750 cca for at least the house battery.  Are the batteries and boxes provided by the dealer?   I would think they would try to align with what is in the manual.

batteries.png.89fc7cc97fd3e3c1435d9f27114733d6.png

@store934

I believe the dealer supplies and installs the batteries. As to size, the intended size is a group-24. With that said, CCA and Ah numbers can very between battery manufactures. 

Malibu's use the term "house" doesnt quite align with the rest of the marine world. House typically refers to the non-engine relate loads, loads that you would want to run while on the hook. For a house bank, we would want to use the Ah or reserve rating, rather then CCA. However, for the main cranking bank, to which that sentence describes, we would want to go by the battery's CCA. Higher is always better.