Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Silent Tip Exhaust (STE) questions

Nevada

I checked with the dealer and they can get them for me for about $300. The dealer states they are straight tips with baffles in them. The pics I've seen show the tips with a downward turn to them; not to be confused with the discontinued turn-down exhaust tips. Can someone confirm these STE's do infact have a downward turn to them. I want to put them on my '06 VLX. Thanks-

I checked with the dealer and they can get them for me for about $300. The dealer states they are straight tips with baffles in them. The pics I've seen show the tips with a downward turn to them; not to be confused with the discontinued turn-down exhaust tips. Can someone confirm these STE's do infact have a downward turn to them. I want to put them on my '06 VLX. Thanks-

They do have slight turn down. Maybe like a 22 to 32 degree angle down.

I'll second that.

It was the turn down that interfered with inserting and removing the pin of my wedge. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until after I had drilled holes in the boat and mounted the tips! The dealer, Smooth Water Sports [Peter is great BTW] exchanged them for the HydroPower in-line silencers for my '99 Sporty. It made a significant difference.

Brian

I'll second that.

It was the turn down that interfered with inserting and removing the pin of my wedge. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until after I had drilled holes in the boat and mounted the tips! The dealer, Smooth Water Sports [Peter is great BTW] exchanged them for the HydroPower in-line silencers for my '99 Sporty. It made a significant difference.

Brian

Did you lose any RPMs or performance?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks guys- I appreciate the clarity. I just installed the STE's and notice a significant difference in music, talking in the boat, etc. 8-10 dbs drop- not sure, but worth the 300 bucks and couple hours to install. Looks great with the power wedge too. Highly recommend.
  • 1 year later...

I would like to find some of the old style tips to put on my 'Craft. My goal is to get the exhaust below the waterline to eliminate fumes as well as sound. Any idea where I can get some of those?

Pisces, did they have to do a ton of work to get the turn downs off? Or was it pretty much an unbolt the old and reattach the new kind of operation?

• 1 month later...

I know that there has been some discussion previously on whether or not the STE makes any noticeable "noise" difference on the Malibus. Well on our 2006 23LSV w/ 340 monsoon we had a the "flaps". on our 2008 23LSV w/ 340 monsoon, we have the turned down STE tips..

WHAT A FREAKIN DIFFERENCE. At 8-10 mph (surf speeds, not quite up on plane) the throaty rumble is gone. It seems to be quieter at all speeds Especially at 8-10mph. SOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!!!! Clap.gifClap.gifClap.gif

Right now the factory (TN at least) is installing Straight tips, no turndown, 45 degree cut off (approx) The STE Turndowns are MIA at the factory. I think it might be a supplier issue... See my attachment pic.. This is what you want, but I think that they are OUT of them right now...

post-3854-1195616354_thumb.jpg

The vendor for the tips changed hands, and the new supplier's initial tips were straight. Interestingly still had the same noise cancelling effect. To ensure the same look the new vendor is bending the current ones to match the original. (the slight 15-20 degrees)

Peter

• 1 month later...
Any idea of current pricing and availability?

www.corsaperformance.com makes a super short tip with muffler. I changed out a set on my Baja no big deal just 3 nuts and a little RTV on each side. It made a world of difference on sound but I was running straight through. I got them second hand but never installed on eBay for $75 2 seasons ago.

Edited by awilco
  • 1 month later...

So, the HPI silencers website is gone, anyone know who is supplying these now? Anyone know where to buy them? I'm really looking for the old style so I can get the exhaust below the waterline when underway.