Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ordering a 2018 23 LSV - Help me choose my options

SCMike

13 hours ago, IXFE said:

@SCMike...  I’m not sure who’s quoting you $4k for clamp racks.  The lower set is MSRP $1,267/each. So that’s $2,534/pair. Now take off 20% conservatively and you’re talking about $2k upgrade.  Still sounds like a lot for something as utilitarian as board racks, but these puppies are sorta like your DVR... you never knew how much you loved it until you had it!  Same with the PTM’s. Don’t cut this corner, I beg you. I’d sooner give up my 18’s or wakeview bench than pass on the racks. Plus my wife would revolt!   

33 minutes ago, NWBU said:

I’m looking at a Malibu price sheet with the same #s as IXFE quoted, so $2200/rack isn’t right.

Beyond the convenience, I think the importance to each person also depends on what boards you’re using, and whether they’re compression molded or not. The lighter Soulcrafts and similar boards don’t like bungees over time.

For what is worth, the PTM clamping spinner slide off racks on the Axis side are $1833 MSRP each.

43 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Ok, I’ll have to ask my dealer about it.  For $2k I’d add them for sure.

i mainly wakeboard, but my wife is really starting to get into surfing.  She’s using our LF boat board at the moment, but I’m sure SANTA will bring her something nice this year.  

I just noticed that an upper tower rack PTM does show a $2,200 MSRP, vs. the lower tower rack PTM's MSRP of $1,267. Not sure why there's a difference between the upper and lower sets but that could be what's causing your dealer's confusion.

18 minutes ago, NWBU said:

I just noticed that an upper tower rack PTM does show a $2,200 MSRP, vs. the lower tower rack PTM's MSRP of $1,267. Not sure why there's a difference between the upper and lower sets but that could be what's causing your dealer's confusion.

Good stuff and nice find.  I think the upper racks are more expensive because the you are only paying the upgrade cost for the lower racks (That’s the only thing I can figure) 

3 hours ago, SCMike said:

Good stuff and nice find.  I think the upper racks are more expensive because the you are only paying the upgrade cost for the lower racks (That’s the only thing I can figure) 

You got it. This is exactly the reason. First set is cheaper cuz you get credit for the standard bungee racks that they’re taking off. Your dealer is confused. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, SCMike said:

Sounds like a very nice 23, congrats!  Would love to see some pics!

im with you on most options, but since we mostly wakeboard, im opting out of the surfpipe.  I’ve been told it creates too much spray at wakeboard speeds. 

Granted I'm on an axis not a malibu, but my factory surfpipe creates zero spray at wakeboard speed.  Or at any speed for that matter.

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Granted I'm on an axis not a malibu, but my factory surfpipe creates zero spray at wakeboard speed.  Or at any speed for that matter.

None of the boats my dealer orders has the surfpipe because of this, so I can’t demo with the surfpipe.  If I had the opportunity to demo a 23lsv with it, I might change my mind, but that doesn’t seem like it will happen. 

6 hours ago, IXFE said:

You got it. This is exactly the reason. First set is cheaper cuz you get credit for the standard bungee racks that they’re taking off. Your dealer is confused. 

This is correct.  I almost added these yesterday when I ordered my boat.  The PTM racks are $1800/each but if you order when you order your boat Malibu gives you $800 credit each for the standard ones so it ends up being a $2K upgrade.  I couldn't justify that additional amount.  I played with them and they are definitely chunkier and nice but not worth $2K IMO.  I would rather put that towards the stereo.

1 hour ago, SCMike said:

None of the boats my dealer orders has the surfpipe because of this, so I can’t demo with the surfpipe.  If I had the opportunity to demo a 23lsv with it, I might change my mind, but that doesn’t seem like it will happen. 

haha or one could posit that because they don't order any surfpipe boats they don't know whether the pipe creates spray or not (it doesn't; aftermarket FAE can/will)

I'm sure the clamping racks are nice but the people buying them are in a completely different world than me. I just bought a second pair of racks for $112 shipped to my door. I guess it's easier for some people to make a few grand than to pull a bungee around their board. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, SCMike said:

Sounds like a very nice 23, congrats!  Would love to see some pics!

im with you on most options, but since we mostly wakeboard, im opting out of the surfpipe.  I’ve been told it creates too much spray at wakeboard speeds. 

For what it's worth, I have also heard the same thing about the surfpipe disrupting the wakeboard wake from my dealer and a few other wakeboarders. I'm sure it is dependent on how much bow vs. stern ballast and how much wedge you use. I also skipped it because I'm trying to shoehorn my boat into a garage and didn't want the extra length in case I have to remove the swim platform for fitment.

11 minutes ago, Brett B said:

For what it's worth, I have also heard the same thing about the surfpipe disrupting the wakeboard wake from my dealer and a few other wakeboarders. I'm sure it is dependent on how much bow vs. stern ballast and how much wedge you use. I also skipped it because I'm trying to shoehorn my boat into a garage and didn't want the extra length in case I have to remove the swim platform for fitment.

I don't have the surf pipe on my 21VLX at the moment, and don't feel i need it.  With that, and the feedback i'm getting from the dearer, i decided to skip it.  We surf about 20% of the time (less on some days), so I don't see the real value here.  If we surfed 80% of the time, i'd most likely check that box.  Same kind of goes for the power drivers seat.  

11 minutes ago, SCMike said:

I don't have the surf pipe on my 21VLX at the moment, and don't feel i need it.  With that, and the feedback i'm getting from the dearer, i decided to skip it.  We surf about 20% of the time (less on some days), so I don't see the real value here.  If we surfed 80% of the time, i'd most likely check that box.  Same kind of goes for the power drivers seat.  

I have a 2017 23 lsv and would really like the surf pipe to cut down on the noise factor as well as the toxic smell. I was on a centurion and it was so quiet I was afraid my son could hear me talk about him to a passenger while he was surfing. It would be nice to have this on my 23 lsv, but I am not sure I want the spray.

1 hour ago, robbennett said:

I'm sure the clamping racks are nice but the people buying them are in a completely different world than me. I just bought a second pair of racks for $112 shipped to my door. I guess it's easier for some people to make a few grand than to pull a bungee around their board. 

swivel for that price? Im just looking for a pair of swivels to put on my 17 a20. The chrome fixed ones are butt ugly.

2 hours ago, robbennett said:

I'm figuring this is a financing thing... it doesn't cost $2K, it costs another 4.12 a month, or $1 a day on the water, or $0.10 per board removal, and who wouldn't pay ten cents to clamp their board vs. snapping themselves in the eye with that dern bungie.

Different analysis for cash buyers (and I know there are a few cash buyers here who swear by them too).

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I'm figuring this is a financing thing... it doesn't cost $2K, it costs another 4.12 a month, or $1 a day on the water, or $0.10 per board removal, and who wouldn't pay ten cents to clamp their board vs. snapping themselves in the eye with that dern bungie.

Different analysis for cash buyers (and I know there are a few cash buyers here who swear by them too).

Im gonna guess most ppl finance. I mean that is a lot of money to save up in cash. Why not lay down and roll over for the bank and pay out interest if you can get that new expensive all inclusive bells and whistles flashy boat..?!

35 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

Im gonna guess most ppl finance. I mean that is a lot of money to save up in cash. Why not lay down and roll over for the bank and pay out interest if you can get that new expensive all inclusive bells and whistles flashy boat..?!

You would be surprised how many don't but let's not start that war again haha. Some people have strong opinions on that around here. 

I guess the actual cost of the clamping racks in the end isn't as much if they will add to the resale value of the boat.  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, onewake09 said:

swivel for that price? Im just looking for a pair of swivels to put on my 17 a20. The chrome fixed ones are butt ugly.

They won't swivel. I will have to put a spacer in also but for a 2nd pair of racks to go up top I am ok with it. We usually only use the lower racks unless we have  a big group that all has their own boards. 

7 hours ago, robbennett said:

Like I mentioned, It took me five boats to finally add them, Oh I wanted them but spending somewhere around 3000.00 a pair really was not a priority with so many other options, Thankfully it worked out on this boat! 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Wakesetter67 said:

Like I mentioned, It took me five boats to finally add them, Oh I wanted them but spending somewhere around 3000.00 a pair really was not a priority with so many other options, Thankfully it worked out on this boat! 

Oh yeah it did!  

As a good friend once told me... "Quads is quads!" 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

re spray:

Thanks @shawndoggy, I remember reading that thread.  Still not totally sold on the surf pipe.  I’m at the point where I have to remove options if I’m gonna add any more.  Haha!  The crew really loves spending other people’s money 💰 😂

• Like 2