Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ordering a 2018 23 LSV - Help me choose my options

SCMike

8 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Rob on a 1.5:1 tranny boat the 2773 is a good "less aggressive" compromise to the 2315 (and 2313).  But on a 1.7x:1 boat it's too much.  the 2249 acts basically like a 2315 does with your powertrain.

I have a 1.72 geared 350 and the 2249 doesn't cut it. Not far from sea level either. I do like to run heavy in the back for a steeper wake so that takes even more power. That's with about 3300 pounds and no wedge or the 850's in the rear half full and wedge. 

ah sorry was looking at the boat in your profile, not your sig @robbennett.

1.72 / 350 / 23.5' boat = yeah you gotta flog it.  But I have to ask, what you mean by "doesn't cut it"?  Are you hitting a wall where the boat just won't go faster?  

I would guess from your description that your issue is a weighting problem (too heavy in the back).  I found that going with a more aggressive prop didn't really help in my case other than increasing my RPMs.  The boat still wouldn't go faster but it would spin higher rpms and burn more fuel.  But adding bow weight (or dropping transom weight) does help.  

I’d have to echo the original comment about looking at the 25, especially if you are looking at the 450’. Do yourself a favor and just price out the difference.

the additional prop size , and weight distribution over the additional 2ft will fair well in the performance concerns you may have about altitude.

with that being said, my 2014 23 with 350 did fine at Donner lake (same altitude as Tahoe) the few times we go per year. Granted I jumped to the 2419 from 2315 after my first trip . And I can’t run as heavy in the rear up there.  

Edited by Stevo
9 minutes ago, Stevo said:

I’d have to echo the original comment about looking at the 25, especially if you are looking at the 450’. Do yourself a favor and just price out the difference.

the additional prop size , and weight distribution over the additional 2ft will fair well in the performance concerns you may have about altitude.

with that being said, my 2014 23 with 350 did fine at Donner lake (same altitude as Tahoe) the few times we go per year. Granted I jumped to the 2419 from 2315 after my first trip . And I can’t run as heavy in the rear up there.  

The price difference will be about $10K if i option to a 450 on the 23LSV.  although i really like the 25LSV, its just too much boat for my needs.  The 23 is exactly where i want to be.  I just have to decide if the 450 is worth the upgrade.  

Im not looking to fully sac out the boat either.  I'll likely just be running Factory + Plug n Play.  Possibly 200# of lead in the bow and call it a day.

2 minutes ago, SCMike said:

The price difference will be about $10K if i option to a 450 on the 23LSV.  although i really like the 25LSV, its just too much boat for my needs.  The 23 is exactly where i want to be.  I just have to decide if the 450 is worth the upgrade.  

Im not looking to fully sac out the boat either.  I'll likely just be running Factory + Plug n Play.  Possibly 200# of lead in the bow and call it a day.

450 should do you fine then, order the torque prop from factory and test it out with the handshake deal with your dealer you may need to swap it, after water test. The torque prop is more $ after the fact IIRC and an easy trade with the dealer. Just don’t Snarf your prop on the water test 

Ahem..... Ahem....

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

ah sorry was looking at the boat in your profile, not your sig @robbennett.

1.72 / 350 / 23.5' boat = yeah you gotta flog it.  But I have to ask, what you mean by "doesn't cut it"?  Are you hitting a wall where the boat just won't go faster?  

I would guess from your description that your issue is a weighting problem (too heavy in the back).  I found that going with a more aggressive prop didn't really help in my case other than increasing my RPMs.  The boat still wouldn't go faster but it would spin higher rpms and burn more fuel.  But adding bow weight (or dropping transom weight) does help.  

It doesn't really hit a wall and not go faster but it takes way way longer to plane. The 2313 did it in 1/4 the time where the 2249 just took forever. I'll probably go out this weekend and do a comparison of all 3 back to back and see which one I like better. I'll make a post with all the rpm and speed numbers when I do it. Only done about 50 hours on the new boat so it may just be user error still but i know when I put too much front weight it just doesn't pop like my old vlx did. 

I would definitely get clamping racks. They are pricey but so worth it. You will not regret them one bit. I would also recommend the power lift seat. The new 23 has greatly reduced the bow rise, but it is still super nice to have. Have you thought about the wakeview bench seat? I would love to have this on my boat and would order that over wakeview seating. The bench seat is super nice and seems to be a popular spot on a lot of boats. Sounds like you've counted out the command wheel, but IMO it sucks. I hate it. I've driven a few Malibu's with it and just hit my hand on it when turning the wheel. I never used it and just used the sport dash. Everything is right there and I don't have to look at the sport dash to know what I want to do/push. Strongly advise against the command wheel. Unless you go out at night often, the docking & underwater lights are not worth it. However, they are fairly cheap options and pretty cool if you do go out at night. I would go with both or none. I would strongly consider adding surf side tow points. They are two small tow points on the side of the tower and work tremendously well. Anytime someone struggles getting up and staying on the correct side, we throw them on these. They are lower and don't pull the rider "up" as much, however nearly impossible for the rider to go to the wrong side. They are also a cheap option. I would also add the back up camera. I don't use it when actually backing up, but is super helpful when pulling a surfer up. Since the surf rope is so short, you can barely see them if you look back or in your mirror. I watch the rider in the camera to see if their feet are up, they're ready, etc. I don't have to turn around to watch them, yell, or anything and I can keep my eyes forward looking out for other boats. Don't really use it as a "backup" camera, but definitely use it and think it's a great option and for not very much. Sorry for the long post, but just my $.02 on everything.

38 minutes ago, Suggy said:

I would definitely get clamping racks. They are pricey but so worth it. You will not regret them one bit. I would also recommend the power lift seat. The new 23 has greatly reduced the bow rise, but it is still super nice to have. Have you thought about the wakeview bench seat? I would love to have this on my boat and would order that over wakeview seating. The bench seat is super nice and seems to be a popular spot on a lot of boats. Sounds like you've counted out the command wheel, but IMO it sucks. I hate it. I've driven a few Malibu's with it and just hit my hand on it when turning the wheel. I never used it and just used the sport dash. Everything is right there and I don't have to look at the sport dash to know what I want to do/push. Strongly advise against the command wheel. Unless you go out at night often, the docking & underwater lights are not worth it. However, they are fairly cheap options and pretty cool if you do go out at night. I would go with both or none. I would strongly consider adding surf side tow points. They are two small tow points on the side of the tower and work tremendously well. Anytime someone struggles getting up and staying on the correct side, we throw them on these. They are lower and don't pull the rider "up" as much, however nearly impossible for the rider to go to the wrong side. They are also a cheap option. I would also add the back up camera. I don't use it when actually backing up, but is super helpful when pulling a surfer up. Since the surf rope is so short, you can barely see them if you look back or in your mirror. I watch the rider in the camera to see if their feet are up, they're ready, etc. I don't have to turn around to watch them, yell, or anything and I can keep my eyes forward looking out for other boats. Don't really use it as a "backup" camera, but definitely use it and think it's a great option and for not very much. Sorry for the long post, but just my $.02 on everything.

$4K for clamping racks just seems crazy expensive to me.  Are they really worth $4K more?  

I think i've ruled out the power seat, as i've been told that the lowest position puts your eyes right at the top of your window frame.  Do you notice this?

Side tow points seem to be a good add, do you know what the MSRP on those are?

I gonna skip the back up camera, i don't mind turning around, plus i like to have a solid visual on the rider before putting the boat in gear. 

Thanks for the response! 

Here's my $.02

1. Clamping racks are truly awesome. I was really on the fence. 3 wise men on this site told me to go for them. I now understand. I also think you could talk to your dealer about getting that $4k price down. That seems high.

2. I don't give 2 sh!ts about the power seat but my wife absolutely loves it and it was a big part of me getting to pull the trigger on my new boat. Just sayin'. Happy wife, happy...

3. I really like the Wetsounds stock system in my 2017 23 LSV. I think it sounds great. I've got the cabin speakers and sub. I will be adding tower speakers and I'm leaning towards Exile's XM9 Wake package(a broken washing machine has pushed this dream out a little). However, I will definitely consult the advice of the same wise men who recommended the clamping racks before I pull the trigger. I should also qualify this by saying I'm not a stereo sound expert at all. I think the stock Alpine System in my 2016 Laramie Ram sounds awesome so take this advice for what it's worth.

4. G3.5 Tower is amazing. There certainly are use cases for the G4 but I think the G3.5 is an outstanding tower. Easy to raise/lower, looks great, super solid.

5. If you're looking to save a little think about not getting the surf pipe. I had an FAE on my 2014 23 LSV and don't have one on my 2017. The noise level in the new boat is almost more enjoyable (I love the sound of an american made V8) and with the catalytic converters on these boats I don't think you'll have any issues with unwanted vapors while surfing. I haven't tested my surfing theory yet but one wise man in particular talked to me about this before I bought my 2017. I would pass on his advice: "Try it without. If you don't like it, it's easily added down the road."

6. GatorStep flooring - This is also on my list of soon-to-be-done upgrades (again, a 6 year old whirlpoop is ruining my dreams). I think the soft touch style flooring is a really nice upgrade to any boat. I can't wait to do mine.

I hope that helps. Have fun. Post pics when you have them.

15 hours ago, SCMike said:

$4K for clamping racks just seems crazy expensive to me.  Are they really worth $4K more?  

I think i've ruled out the power seat, as i've been told that the lowest position puts your eyes right at the top of your window frame.  Do you notice this?

Side tow points seem to be a good add, do you know what the MSRP on those are?

I gonna skip the back up camera, i don't mind turning around, plus i like to have a solid visual on the rider before putting the boat in gear. 

Thanks for the response! 

Keep in mind, the dealer is probably showing/giving you options pricing in MSRP. You aren't paying MSRP for the boat, and depending what your dealer has worked out for you, probably getting 20% off MSRP. Just keep that in mind when these MSRP prices are given to you.

But yes, clamping racks are truly worth it. Don't look at the price of them. I PROMISE you, you will not regret them.

Side Tow Point MSRP is $285, so not much at all when comparing to other options and definitely a nice add if you are pulling a lot of beginners and trying to teach new people how to surf.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Suggy said:

Keep in mind, the dealer is probably showing/giving you options pricing in MSRP. You aren't paying MSRP for the boat, and depending what your dealer has worked out for you, probably getting 20% off MSRP. Just keep that in mind when these MSRP prices are given to you.

But yes, clamping racks are truly worth it. Don't look at the price of them. I PROMISE you, you will not regret them.

Side Tow Point MSRP is $285, so not much at all when comparing to other options and definitely a nice add if you are pulling a lot of beginners and trying to teach new people how to surf.

Thanks.  Yeah, I’m definitely not paying MSRP, but I still have to wrap my head around the cost. I’ll keep that as a game time decision. 

I think I’ll add the tow points though, thanks for the heads up on those. 

Edited by SCMike

@SCMike...  I’m not sure who’s quoting you $4k for clamp racks.  The lower set is MSRP $1,267/each. So that’s $2,534/pair. Now take off 20% conservatively and you’re talking about $2k upgrade.  Still sounds like a lot for something as utilitarian as board racks, but these puppies are sorta like your DVR... you never knew how much you loved it until you had it!  Same with the PTM’s. Don’t cut this corner, I beg you. I’d sooner give up my 18’s or wakeview bench than pass on the racks. Plus my wife would revolt!   

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV

Just because not every member of this forum has said something yet... :)

I promise you that you will not regret to price of the clamping racks once you put your board in it for the first time, clamp it down, spin it out and sit down. Then just press a button to release. They are soooo worth it. 

Another vote for clamping racks...once you go with them there is no going back.   As others mentioned work with your dealer on getting the price down.  We can only hope someday PTMs will be standard on all Malibu models and leave the bunji' s standard for Axis.  If you take out larger groups quad racks are so nice and have become a must for us.  I am not a fan of putting boards on the floor or in a locker.

Power seat is also a nice feature that we use all the time.  The heater has always been a hit for us especially in spring, fall and late evenings on the water.

Edited by Fman

I wasn't blown away by the clamping racks when I tried them out, and I've never had a problem with the bungee racks, so I stayed with the bungee's on my new order and put the money into gel upgrades instead. We have 4 racks so it would have been a $4k upgrade which I didn't think was worth it. I'm sure if I got used to them it would be hard to go back!

I also thought the power seat was way too high at it lowest point so I skipped it, but I'm well above average height. My vertically challenged wife just flips up the seat bolster and it works fine for her. We typically run extra bow ballast so bow rise is controlled. The power seat I checked out was also very very slow but that was a couple years ago, maybe the new version is faster. With as often as we are swapping out drivers just flipping the seat bolster up/down has worked fine on my old boat.

I did include the docking lights, but we are often out after dark and will actually use them to help get the boat back on the trailer.

I did get the rear camera. Even when I turn around I still have trouble seeing what's going on at the swim platform without standing up so this seems like it will be a useful safety feature. I figured it will also help save my neck that always get tweaked after trying something stupid on a wakeboard.

I didn't have the transom remote on my old boat and didn't ever really miss it so we left it off the new order as well. I did get the sport dash so that a passenger can help adjust volume when needed.

Edited by Brett B

New guy here.  I just ordered a 23lsv and know where your coming from.  I am at low elevation so luckily I didn't have to ponder engine choices.  My kid likes green/charcoal so that's what we went with.  After surfing with a friend with the clamping racks it was a no brainer.  Keep in mind if you surf the standard racks wont hold but 1 board each.  We primarily surf and nothing else.

After a lot of agonizing and calculating we settled on the following options. I passed on the wakeview bench because the wakeview sides are now standard and using both simultaneously is just impossible.

Surf pipe(because even with a cat its still poison your breathing, just not as poisonous as without cat)

Dock lights (I think hull shape makes it look like something is missing in the spot where they are supposed to go without them)

Underwater lights (just cool)

Wake 23 lsv pack, subwoofer with amp, 500 w tower amp and a set of icon 8's.  (again we mostly surf)

2 ptm clamp racks and surf bimini (6 boards worth of storage)

Ballast hi flow (bow launch and rear pnp plumbing with auto vents)

Wakeview camera( because boat is so tall you cant see people at the platform and this covers the blind spot the mirror misses)

power lift seat (wife and kid)

Soft grip seat covering(on seat bases, softens it up a bit and was only a couple hundred bucks)

Sport dash (again a couple hundred bucks so why not)

Soft grip flooring

Battery option 2

3 sets pull up cleats(cause something is obviously missing with two sets)

spare tire carrier and transom step on trailer.

There are other things that are cool as well but this one is pretty maximized for the price point I was shooting for.  By not using flake paint or bling wheels I was able to get where I wanted price wise and think it will be a fun boat for the family.  Good luck with your decisions!

Favorite options, Finally after 5 boats I got the Clamping racks! After getting a chance to use them on all my buddy's boats I could not wait to check that box, Twice that is! I really grew to hate the bungee's. And the Power seat! I use to install the 4" seat risers in the last two BU's and now this works perfect, Being a bit short in stature, when its all the way up I cant touch the floor LOL  and finally they moved the heater outlet for the driver closer to the floor when my feet are.... Before I had to hold my toes up to keep warm, and the 2 other outlets for the passengers works so much better then in the walk way! I cant believe I did not realize that the front indention were for another set of cleats, I hinted enough hoping to get them for Christmas, And your right about the docking lights it just looks naked with out them, Lastly the Promainer On board Charger, The are so easy to install yourself but is well worth it, 

Edited by Wakesetter67
12 hours ago, IXFE said:

@SCMike...  I’m not sure who’s quoting you $4k for clamp racks.  The lower set is MSRP $1,267/each. So that’s $2,534/pair. Now take off 20% conservatively and you’re talking about $2k upgrade.  Still sounds like a lot for something as utilitarian as board racks, but these puppies are sorta like your DVR... you never knew how much you loved it until you had it!  Same with the PTM’s. Don’t cut this corner, I beg you. I’d sooner give up my 18’s or wakeview bench than pass on the racks. Plus my wife would revolt!   

@IXFE, I was quoted $2200msrp each rack, $4400 total.  That’s a lot of coin for racks.  Done get me wrong, everyone is making a great argument for them,  it it’s hard for me to get over the cost. 

1 hour ago, Wakesetter67 said:

Favorite options, Finally after 5 boats I got the Clamping racks! After getting a chance to use them on all my buddy's boats I could not wait to check that box, Twice that is! I really grew to hate the bungee's. And the Power seat! I use to install the 4" seat risers in the last two BU's and now this works perfect, Being a bit short in stature, when its all the way up I cant touch the floor LOL  and finally they moved the heater outlet for the driver closer to the floor when my feet are.... Before I had to hold my toes up to keep warm, and the 2 other outlets for the passengers works so much better then in the walk way! I cant believe I did not realize that the front indention were for another set of cleats, I hinted enough hoping to get them for Christmas, And your right about the docking lights it just looks naked with out them, Lastly the Promainer On board Charger, The are so easy to install yourself but is well worth it, 

@Wakesetter67, do you have a copy of your build sheet with MSRP?  I’d like to see what they charged you for the PTM racks.  If I can show my dealer, maybe he can call Malibu or fix his quote to me.  

I’ll keep the power seat in mind too.  Lots of votes for the Lowe seat. 

I’m looking at a Malibu price sheet with the same #s as IXFE quoted, so $2200/rack isn’t right.

Beyond the convenience, I think the importance to each person also depends on what boards you’re using, and whether they’re compression molded or not. The lighter Soulcrafts and similar boards don’t like bungees over time.

3 minutes ago, NWBU said:

I’m looking at a Malibu price sheet with the same #s as IXFE quoted, so $2200/rack isn’t right.

Beyond the convenience, I think the importance to each person also depends on what boards you’re using, and whether they’re compression molded or not. The lighter Soulcrafts and similar boards don’t like bungees over time.

Ok, I’ll have to ask my dealer about it.  For $2k I’d add them for sure.

i mainly wakeboard, but my wife is really starting to get into surfing.  She’s using our LF boat board at the moment, but I’m sure SANTA will bring her something nice this year.  

2 hours ago, Jmann said:

New guy here.  I just ordered a 23lsv and know where your coming from.  I am at low elevation so luckily I didn't have to ponder engine choices.  My kid likes green/charcoal so that's what we went with.  After surfing with a friend with the clamping racks it was a no brainer.  Keep in mind if you surf the standard racks wont hold but 1 board each.  We primarily surf and nothing else.

After a lot of agonizing and calculating we settled on the following options. I passed on the wakeview bench because the wakeview sides are now standard and using both simultaneously is just impossible.

Surf pipe(because even with a cat its still poison your breathing, just not as poisonous as without cat)

Dock lights (I think hull shape makes it look like something is missing in the spot where they are supposed to go without them)

Underwater lights (just cool)

Wake 23 lsv pack, subwoofer with amp, 500 w tower amp and a set of icon 8's.  (again we mostly surf)

2 ptm clamp racks and surf bimini (6 boards worth of storage)

Ballast hi flow (bow launch and rear pnp plumbing with auto vents)

Wakeview camera( because boat is so tall you cant see people at the platform and this covers the blind spot the mirror misses)

power lift seat (wife and kid)

Soft grip seat covering(on seat bases, softens it up a bit and was only a couple hundred bucks)

Sport dash (again a couple hundred bucks so why not)

Soft grip flooring

Battery option 2

3 sets pull up cleats(cause something is obviously missing with two sets)

spare tire carrier and transom step on trailer.

There are other things that are cool as well but this one is pretty maximized for the price point I was shooting for.  By not using flake paint or bling wheels I was able to get where I wanted price wise and think it will be a fun boat for the family.  Good luck with your decisions!

Sounds like a very nice 23, congrats!  Would love to see some pics!

im with you on most options, but since we mostly wakeboard, im opting out of the surfpipe.  I’ve been told it creates too much spray at wakeboard speeds.