Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ordering a 2018 23 LSV - Help me choose my options

SCMike

Hey Crew!

I need to get my order in before the 18th of December, and want to get my options list figured out ASAP.  Im trying to keep costs down, at the same time get all the core features i need.  Here is what im thinking so far.  Would love feedback on what i should consider adding or removing.

Boat:

• Wake Hull - nobody in my crew ski's 
  • 450 - Im leaning heavily towards this option as i will be boating at elevation (Lake Tahoe) a few times a year.  My 21VLX with 410 and high altitude prop struggled in Tahoe this past summer.  Based on the RPM data my dealer gave me on the 410 with aggressive prop (Acme 2773) the 450 might be the best option (Data Below)
    • 22.5 MPH, Full Ballast and PNP, Wedge position 2 ... 4,300 RPM

• 10.6 MPH, Full Ballast and PNP, Wedge 4, Surf Left ... 4,100 RPM

• 10.6 MPH, Full Ballast and PNP, Wedge 2, Surf Right ... 3,900 RPM

• Wake view seating - I originally thought i'd skip this, but its a pretty cool feature and may be good for resale. 
  • CS Surf Bimini 
  • GL Cover - Not sure if i should pass on the factory cover and order a Evo?
  • Heater 
  • 23LSV Stereo Pack with Sub 
  • 1 Pair of rev 8's - My dealer may be able to swap out the rev 8s for 1 pair rev 10's with minimal to not cost difference.  The downside is, they would not be factory, so no factory warranty. 
  • G3.5 Tower
  • Standard bungee racks - Im open to clamping racks, but dot know how much they will cost.  This might be a game time decision. 
  • Ballast, Surfgate, wedge - All goes without saying
  • Cockpit Table - CFO says this one is mandatory
  • Soft grip flooring
  • Sport dash - Should i skip the sport dash and go with the steering wheel controls?  Anyone done this?
  • Dual Battery
  • Phender Pro
  • 3 pair of pull up cleats

Trailer:

• Standard 14 in aluminum wheels
  • Bow step
  • SS Ratchet Tie Downs
  • Transom Steps

I have a few color designs picked out, and will share once I finalize the color with my family.

Thanks all for your help! 

-Mike

Edited by SCMike

Don’t forget a rear transom remote.  

I have the command wheel and sport dash.  I would probably keep the sport dash as a core upgrade and put command wheel money to PTM racks.  I like the wheel, but question why within a foot of each other I have 3 different ways to control everything.  

Sport dash knob can be used by a passenger unlike the command wheel.  My wife routinely will turn volume down to communicate with a rider if my eyes are forward or even switch the surf gates if I bring up a rider on the “wrong side”.  She will see the wave forming on the opposite side the rider is before I do when starting out (usually after a transfer in the previous run and o forget to put gates back to the other side). 

I may still lean stereo delete if I was buying new, especially if you already plan to swap speakers.

Dont forget the bow pop up light.   It should be standard anyways  it at last check, isn’t. 

Second battery and onboard charger I would do

I also like the undermount swim ladder.  

I actually really like the backup camera.  Good to see when backing out of my slip and useful to check the rear is clear before starting up. 

I agree with skipping the docking lights.  Transom lights are debatable.  I am not out at night much but they are super cool when I do get to use them.  

• Like 3

I will be placing my order soon as well. I am not getting the wakeview seating. We didn't use the flip up ones on the side much on my last boat, and I couldn't see us stepping over the seat once it was flipped. I'm using that money for PTM clamping racks. I am going to go with the CS cover. It comes with a swim platform cover as well. I had an Evolution cover last time. If we covered the boat more often, I would buy an Evo again. We only use the cover on vacation(at the lake) and if it is at the dealer. What colors are you going with? We are thinking Stratosphere Blue and Charcoal. 

4 minutes ago, Soon2BV said:

My only suggestion is to go with 15" wheels.  I have 14" and it is hard to find the higher load range tires in that size. 

I wasn't aware they had a 15 inch wheel option on the new Malibu Trailers.  I'll ask my dealer about that.  Thanks @Soon2BV!

28 minutes ago, mrnate450r said:

I will be placing my order soon as well. I am not getting the wakeview seating. We didn't use the flip up ones on the side much on my last boat, and I couldn't see us stepping over the seat once it was flipped. I'm using that money for PTM clamping racks. I am going to go with the CS cover. It comes with a swim platform cover as well. I had an Evolution cover last time. If we covered the boat more often, I would buy an Evo again. We only use the cover on vacation(at the lake) and if it is at the dealer. What colors are you going with? We are thinking Stratosphere Blue and Charcoal. 

Im debating the wakeview seating as well, and may go your route and use that money for the PTM racks.  Good to know about the CS cover, i'll looking to that as well.  Any reason you like that cover over the GL one?  Any cost difference?  

As for colors, im leaning towards the Black, Charcoal and While colors.  Here are some of my top prospects at the moment.  Im sure the wife will shoot most of them down, hahaha! 

Screen_Shot_2017-11-08_at_6_54.52_PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 4.39.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 2.47.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 2.46.16 PM.png

• Like 2
1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

Don’t forget a rear transom remote.  

I have the command wheel and sport dash.  I would probably keep the sport dash as a core upgrade and put command wheel money to PTM racks.  I like the wheel, but question why within a foot of each other I have 3 different ways to control everything.  

Sport dash knob can be used by a passenger unlike the command wheel.  My wife routinely will turn volume down to communicate with a rider if my eyes are forward or even switch the surf gates if I bring up a rider on the “wrong side”.  She will see the wave forming on the opposite side the rider is before I do when starting out (usually after a transfer in the previous run and o forget to put gates back to the other side). 

I may still lean stereo delete if I was buying new, especially if you already plan to swap speakers.

Dont forget the bow pop up light.   It should be standard anyways  it at last check, isn’t. 

Second battery and onboard charger I would do

I also like the undermount swim ladder.  

I actually really like the backup camera.  Good to see when backing out of my slip and useful to check the rear is clear before starting up. 

I agree with skipping the docking lights.  Transom lights are debatable.  I am not out at night much but they are super cool when I do get to use them.  

• I think i'm gonna skip the transom remote.  I don't really see a need for it.  I use Spottify and just change the music with my apple watch.  
  • I totally see your point on the sport knob and command wheel.  My wife uses the sport know all the time to control the volume of the stereo.  I don't see the point in having both, so i'll skip the commend wheel option.   
  • I've thought about stereo delete, but i'd much rather have the factory warranty.  
  • Bow pop up light - I'll make sure to add that (thanks!)
  • 2nd Battery - Already have that on the order sheet, but not the battery charger.  I think i'll add that too.
  • Ladder - I dont really see a need for this.  i doubt it will ever get used with my crew.  I'll skip this one.
  • Back up camera seems like a novelty to me and more of a cool factor item then a need.  I think i'll skip this one.
  • Docking light - Confirmed, skipping those.  
  • Transom light - Im on the fence on these.  They are certinaly not a "NEED", but they are really cool.  I know the wife and kids would love them.  I thought about adding them after market instead of factory.  Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks for all the feedback @hethj7

2 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Hmm, I saw your renderings and immediately thought, “just buy @ConnollyCrew‘s boat”

Trust me i thought about that (hard), but my dealer is taking really good care of me since i just bought a boat from him last year, haha!  Also, he has the 410, which im 99% sure i'm doing a 450.  Lastly, i have to sell my 21VLX before I take deliver of the new one. I doubt @ConnollyCrew will have his LSV come March time frame. 

• Like 2
Just now, ConnollyCrew said:

410 is plenty for this boat. Run the 2247 prop and spend that coin on PTM racks and SD amps

He mentioned some higher elevation trips.  Not sure what the consensus is in that situation other than to just get a 25LSV with17” prop and 450 standard :)

1 hour ago, SCMike said:
  • I think i'm gonna skip the transom remote.  I don't really see a need for it.  I use Spottify and just change the music with my apple watch.  
  • I totally see your point on the sport knob and command wheel.  My wife uses the sport know all the time to control the volume of the stereo.  I don't see the point in having both, so i'll skip the commend wheel option.   
  • I've thought about stereo delete, but i'd much rather have the factory warranty.  
  • 2nd Battery - Already have that on the order sheet, but not the battery charger.  I think i'll add that too.
  • Ladder - I dont really see a need for this.  i doubt it will ever get used with my crew.  I'll skip this one.
  • Back up camera seems like a novelty to me and more of a cool factor item then a need.  I think i'll skip this one.
  • Transom light - Im on the fence on these.  They are certinaly not a "NEED", but they are really cool.  I know the wife and kids would love them.  I thought about adding them after market instead of factory.  Anyone have thoughts on this?

The 2018 23 LSV comes with Nav lights on the side, No need for a pop up one, 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

He mentioned some higher elevation trips.  Not sure what the consensus is in that situation other than to just get a 25LSV with17” prop and 450 standard :)

Haha, I’m sticking with the 23.  We typically only have 4 on the boat.  The 25 is a little too much boat for our needs. 

15 minutes ago, Wakesetter67 said:

The 2018 23 LSV comes with Nav lights on the side, No need for a pop up one, 

Nice!  Thanks.  My 21vlx is the same.  Good to hear. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, mrnate450r said:

The CS was less money if I remember right. No other reason. I dig the charcoal and black look!

I’m digging the charcol too!  I haven’t shown it to the wife yet.  We’ll see what she says. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SCMike said:

I always do dual batteries with battery option 3. 

Get the charger.

Stereo delete with Sport Knob?

I always get the docking lights but we are out at night a lot. Transom lights are cool if you're out at night. I wouldn't get them if your not springing for Docking lights.

Go with 3 sets of cleats, the new hull have indentions for the third set and would look bad without the third set.

We never use the bimini surf straps. They are difficult to get to and when they are empty they slap the top of the bimini when at speed.

Like mentioned, no bow lights now.

Tower amp will be tuned for Rev8's if you order those, not sure how the Rev8 tune will sound on the Rev10's.

Get the Clamping racks before anything else. They are so worth it.

If you get the soft grip seat covering it will interfere with your table mount.

I like the tower mirror, it's hard to mount the big PTM mirror on the windshield and it not be in the way.

The wife loves the Power Lift seat.

I like the surf pipe.

Driver Drybox is standard now.

Under Hull Spare tire on the trailer.

Compare the soft touch flooring upgrade to just calling up gatorstep and ordering a kit in whatever color you want, super easy to install.

factory cover is a huge improvement over prior years IMHO, although if you are towing with cover it has more movement than an EVO.

Love the Surf Bimini , even with 4 racks we always have the Soulcrafts up top, I can’t remember a time last year we ever were in the boat without the boards up top so the straps flapping around wasn’t an issue.

+1 on the wife loving the power lift east, 

+1 on three sets of cleats

tower mirror only way to go IMHO 

pass on the command wheel

wake view seating.... 1st off it’s the most popular seat on my boat, when it’s out that’s where the crowd is, we love it. I’d have to ask othe 18 LSV owners how the 23 does surf wise with or without the bow bag or lead up front to offset everyone now sitting in the rear. If I was buying a new 23 I’d go for it for sure, but also 500lbs of lead or a plumbed bow bag.

• Like 2

Mike I think anyone running the 2773 on a 1.7x tranny is crazy.  Of course the RPMs are going to be high.

If this is a "last boat" and what you are really after is tahoe performance, I'd really think about swallowing hard and just getting the SC motor.  The 450 at 6200' is going to be weaker than a 410 at sea level, whereas with forced induction you don't really suffer much of a power loss at all.

That said I'm really curious to see how the new 2:1 / 17" drivetrain performs with the NA motors this year.

• Like 2

Not sure why people like the pop up bow light. I hated it on my Malibu. I would rather just flip a switch than have to walk to the bow and flip the light up. Also they are very prone to failure at the worst possible time. In 1500 hours I changed it twice and I know the previous owner did at least once. 

@shawndoggy Is your dislike for the 2773 based off surf experience or wakeboarding? These bigger boats tend to have a hard time planing with the 2249 with a ton of weight. The 2313 worked good but was a little too much so I've ordered the OJ equivalent of the 2773. The bigger powerplants may work better with a taller prop than my 350 does but I think I'd take higher cruising RPM over a struggle to plane off any day. 

Rob on a 1.5:1 tranny boat the 2773 is a good "less aggressive" compromise to the 2315 (and 2313).  But on a 1.7x:1 boat it's too much.  the 2249 acts basically like a 2315 does with your powertrain.

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I always do dual batteries with battery option 3. 

Get the charger.

Stereo delete with Sport Knob?

I always get the docking lights but we are out at night a lot. Transom lights are cool if you're out at night. I wouldn't get them if your not springing for Docking lights.

Go with 3 sets of cleats, the new hull have indentions for the third set and would look bad without the third set.

We never use the bimini surf straps. They are difficult to get to and when they are empty they slap the top of the bimini when at speed.

Like mentioned, no bow lights now.

Tower amp will be tuned for Rev8's if you order those, not sure how the Rev8 tune will sound on the Rev10's.

Get the Clamping racks before anything else. They are so worth it.

If you get the soft grip seat covering it will interfere with your table mount.

I like the tower mirror, it's hard to mount the big PTM mirror on the windshield and it not be in the way.

The wife loves the Power Lift seat.

I like the surf pipe.

Driver Drybox is standard now.

Under Hull Spare tire on the trailer.

Can you order the tower mount from the factory, or is that an aftermarket option? 

Power lift seat seems to be a popular option, I may have to add that one.  I’m sure the wife would love it. 

Good to know about the table mount and soft grip seat covering.  

Just now, shawndoggy said:

Rob on a 1.5:1 tranny boat the 2773 is a good "less aggressive" compromise to the 2315 (and 2313).  But on a 1.7x:1 boat it's too much.  the 2249 acts basically like a 2315 does with your powertrain.

I’m definitely not doing the SC motor.  With that said, I’m non certian the 450 will give me that much more performance.  I’m on the fence about this one.  What prop would you recommend on the 410 for tahoe @shawndoggy

1 hour ago, Stevo said:

Compare the soft touch flooring upgrade to just calling up gatorstep and ordering a kit in whatever color you want, super easy to install.

I’ll take a look at this today.  Might be less expensive to order from the factory, plus I really like the brown color.