Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ordering a 2018 LSV - Anyone on here have the supercharged Raptor engine?

shenard

I am probably going to order a '18 LSV to replace our '15 and am strongly considering upgrading the engine this time.  I love everything about our '15 LSV except for the Monsoon 350 engine.  We often have a few families on the boat with us and when we loand up the boat 12-14 people and then add additional ballast it just doesn't perform the way I wish it did and sometimes bogs down.  I know the new 410 engine is a little better but the '18 boats also weight 600lbs more.  I have heard the supercharged engine is a beast and seems like it would be ALOT of fun in the LSV.  The only of our dealer had one in a M235 demo for awhile and told me it was amazing and just wanted to get some feedback from anyone that had one in an LSV.  I'm guessing there probably aren't too many people in here that have one given the cost of upgrading it.

Any known reliability issues so far with either engine?  I know the Monsoons have been pretty solid and around for a long time.

14 people and additional ballast is going to make a big load for any motor. I’d consider the 25LSV if I had that kind of crowd very much. You’ll move to a bigger prop and the 450 for the base motor. This combination will move a lot of weight. If you are so inclined, go for the SC motor and don’t look back. Talk to Rusty about it. He won’t lead you wrong. 

My family has a 2017 25LSV with the 450 and 17" high altitude prop. Your new 2018 23LSV weighs only a few hundred pounds less and you don't get the 17" prop.

Our 25LSV has struggles when we are fully loaded with 15+ people, wedge, 100% ballast and rear PNP, but it always gets on plane... barely.

If you plan to absolutely slam your new 23LSV like we do occasionally then the 575 is the way to go. I have never fully slammed a 2018 23LSV, but have drove it with the 450 and there was no struggle in the slightest. 

If you have the means, go for the uber cool Raptor Supercharged 575 - I promise you will not be disappointed. Just my .02

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

14 people and additional ballast is going to make a big load for any motor. I’d consider the 25LSV if I had that kind of crowd very much. You’ll move to a bigger prop and the 450 for the base motor. This combination will move a lot of weight. If you are so inclined, go for the SC motor and don’t look back. Talk to Rusty about it. He won’t lead you wrong. 

We usually only have 8-12 so 23LSV is great for us and the new ones surf even better. I think better than the 25LSV without weighing down a lot and I love HP and torque!   Have always tuned all of my vehicles and think the boat would be a ton more fun with a lot more power and torque on demand.  

What is everyone’s thoughts on fuel economy with SC engine when surfing?  I would think it would be the same or even better than then standard 410 when weighted down because the engine won’t have to work nearly as hard to love the boat.  I’m sure when running WOT it is definitely going to suck down more

Edited by shenard
Typo
6 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

You might consider the 450. Plenty of power for the boat.

If you go with the 575 make sure you ALWAYS use premium.

Uh oh, here we go again.  That is a whole thread by itself, and has been done a lot of times. 

A few high points:  The timing will slow if you don't use premium and the motor will run fine.  It won't have as much power, but it will not suddenly sputter and die.  

Some argue they could deny a warranty claim if they find you didn't use premium fuel, but there is not a documented incidence of this in the history of wakeboats.    

If I had a supercharged engine, I would run premium in it, but wouldn't stress in the slightest if I couldn't find it.  

3 hours ago, shenard said:

We usually only have 8-12 so 23LSV is great for us and the new ones surf even better. I think better than the 25LSV without weighing down a lot and I love HP and torque!   Have always tuned all of my vehicles and think the boat would be a ton more fun with a lot more power and torque on demand.  

What is everyone’s thoughts on fuel economy with SC engine when surfing?  I would think it would be the same or even better than then standard 410 when weighted down because the engine won’t have to work nearly as hard to love the boat.  I’m sure when running WOT it is definitely going to suck down more

Don't worry about the gas, you just spent 100K + on a boat.  You might be able to run a higher pitched prop than what the boat comes with, and decrease your fuel consumption and RPM's.  Some guys have done that with G23 and have had great results.  

50 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Uh oh, here we go again.  That is a whole thread by itself, and has been done a lot of times. 

A few high points:  The timing will slow if you don't use premium and the motor will run fine.  It won't have as much power, but it will not suddenly sputter and die.  

Some argue they could deny a warranty claim if they find you didn't use premium fuel, but there is not a documented incidence of this in the history of wakeboats.    

If I had a supercharged engine, I would run premium in it, but wouldn't stress in the slightest if I couldn't find it.  

Don't worry about the gas, you just spent 100K + on a boat.  You might be able to run a higher pitched prop than what the boat comes with, and decrease your fuel consumption and RPM's.  Some guys have done that with G23 and have had great results.  

I spoke with an Indmar engineer and they will deny a warranty claim if premium is not used. Supposedly there is a sensor where they record if anything less than premium is used. There is nothing but 89 on all the lakes near me and this makes things very difficult to just leave the boat on a lift.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, wbama387 said:

I spoke with an Indmar engineer and they will deny a warranty claim if premium is not used. Supposedly there is a sensor where they record if anything less than premium is used. There is nothing but 89 on all the lakes near me and this makes things very difficult to just leave the boat on a lift.

Trident has Rec 90. (ethanol free, 90 octane)

Surely that would count, right? 

Just now, ibelonginprison said:

Trident has Rec 90. (ethanol free, 90 octane)

Surely that would count, right? 

I would have thought, but according to Indmar anything less than 91 will void the warranty. It seems a little crazy to me that if they have a octane sensor, they wouldn't just pull timing if you ran something less than 91. You would just loose power and I believe that is what PCM is doing. I was told they didn't look into pulling timing because it would defeat the purpose of a performance engine. It kind of frustrates me, because I want to leave my boat on the lift more next summer and that may not happen now because I can't get fuel for it.

I'm PRETTY certain that the marina on Martin around the corner from Chuck's has 91-93. I'm almost certain of it. I ran that last summer while I was there.

Smith, however....... notsomuch. 
90 is all we got from everything I've seen. I don't even know where to get 93 non-eth. around there.... I can ask around, though - since we're making you trailer it up there to hang out with us next summer. ha

And yes, on a forced induction motor, it's just ignorant to not pull timing. 

3 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

I'm PRETTY certain that the marina on Martin around the corner from Chuck's has 91-93. I'm almost certain of it. I ran that last summer while I was there.

Smith, however....... notsomuch. 
90 is all we got from everything I've seen. I don't even know where to get 93 non-eth. around there.... I can ask around, though - since we're making you trailer it up there to hang out with us next summer. ha

And yes, on a forced induction motor, it's just ignorant to not pull timing. 

Are you talking about Blue Creek? Grant thought they did, but that looks like the only Marina that would if they do. It would be a good haul for us to get there, we are all the way in Parker Creek. If they do that may be my only option.

1 hour ago, wbama387 said:

Are you talking about Blue Creek? Grant thought they did, but that looks like the only Marina that would if they do. It would be a good haul for us to get there, we are all the way in Parker Creek. If they do that may be my only option.

Ya only other option........ 

https://www.amazon.com/35-Gallon-Portable-Transfer-Gasoline-35-Gallons/dp/B071NJKQGB/

It is so easy to look at engine parts and tell if its been run with less then required octane fuel. The damage is wide spreed internally. I have never looked at the strategy for the package but sure hope it would retard the timing enough to be safe. Its not as simple as running a oil that is not what is recamended or doing your own maintenance. Its a fight that is very easy to prove. 

1 hour ago, Sixball said:

I have never looked at the strategy for the package but sure hope it would retard the timing enough to be safe.

I agree, it would be an embarrassing (and costly) oversight if they didn't.

5 hours ago, wbama387 said:

I can tell you that's ALL Roush Supersharged engines require premium fuel. The SC specifies it.

13 hours ago, shenard said:

I am probably going to order a '18 LSV to replace our '15 and am strongly considering upgrading the engine this time.  I love everything about our '15 LSV except for the Monsoon 350 engine.  We often have a few families on the boat with us and when we loand up the boat 12-14 people and then add additional ballast it just doesn't perform the way I wish it did and sometimes bogs down.  I know the new 410 engine is a little better but the '18 boats also weight 600lbs more.  I have heard the supercharged engine is a beast and seems like it would be ALOT of fun in the LSV.  The only of our dealer had one in a M235 demo for awhile and told me it was amazing and just wanted to get some feedback from anyone that had one in an LSV.  I'm guessing there probably aren't too many people in here that have one given the cost of upgrading it.

Any known reliability issues so far with either engine?  I know the Monsoons have been pretty solid and around for a long time.

I would buy the 450 if you want an upgrade and throw the 2247 prop on it. I ran my 18' 23 slammed with he 410 engine and with the 2247 prop it can push anything you throw at it easily. Ask @ibelonginprison how it performs slammed.

The only thing I can add here is that I would always run 93 in it if I get the SC engine.  My dealer here in Dallas is actually going thru a current claim with Indmar where they have initially denied the claim with one of their customers that has the SC engine claiming they did not run premium fuel in it.  They told me to always use 91+ to avoid any issues with Indmar and to spend a few hundred more a year in fuel is a no brainer to me.  I don’t have same issues as many that have boats in slips with limited availabity of premium at lake marinas.  

Does my logic from my original question about fuel economy make sense that it would probably be more efficient when loaded with weight than the 350 because doesn’t have to work nearly as hard to move the boat?

Edited by shenard
On 11/28/2017 at 7:29 AM, shenard said:

Your crazy if u don't get a 25lsv.. capacity ratings are NOT comfort ratings... For the upgrade of that engine your probably in a 25 lsv w/ 450 and have a better wave , more storage, comfort.. more bragging rights etc.. 

• Like 4
13 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

I would buy the 450 if you want an upgrade and throw the 2247 prop on it. I ran my 18' 23 slammed with he 410 engine and with the 2247 prop it can push anything you throw at it easily. Ask @ibelonginprison how it performs slammed.

turns like a barge with half a rudder missing.... but power wise, it handles it with ease. I never even went full throttle, really. 
:D

• Like 2
12 hours ago, shenard said:

The only thing I can add here is that I would always run 93 in it if I get the SC engine.  My dealer here in Dallas is actually going thru a current claim with Indmar where they have initially denied the claim with one of their customers that has the SC engine claiming they did not run premium fuel in it.  They told me to always use 91+ to avoid any issues with Indmar and to spend a few hundred more a year in fuel is a no brainer to me.  I don’t have same issues as many that have boats in slips with limited availabity of premium at lake marinas.  

Does my logic from my original question about fuel economy make sense that it would probably be more efficient when loaded with weight than the 350 because doesn’t have to work nearly as hard to move the boat?

This is the first I have heard of that.  Good to know that it is not just a theoretical concern.  This makes me feel like the supercharged motor is just not ready for prime time.  

Does anyone know if the octane booster actually works and would prevent this sort of problem?  Keeping 1/2 dozen bottles of octane booster in the boat might be an answer.  

Octane booster do work but you need to look close at the amounts you would need to add and the cost. IMHO its not a valid use for something like our boats.  It is much cheaper and easier to just transport the fuel. I live on a lake boat on a hoist and still hall my fuel. A simple siphon is fast easy and no spill. And not all octane booster are good.