Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prep and Destination Charge

Wavemaker

I know it's not cool to talk about the specific deals we negotiate on new boats but can a few of you comment on what a reasonable Prep/Destination charge would be? Including make ready and all.  Thanks!

Destination- Whatever the shipping company charges. This all depends on distance from factory. Usually costs from $500-$2000 depending on location.

Prep- Usually 1 hour for install of bimini, platform, and any other little thing that needs to be thrown on. 1-2 hours to unpackage cover and other peices, check over general assembly, belts, hoses, fluids, electrical connections etc.. and really should be at least a 1 hour lake test to completely check all functions of the boat. Then probably 1 hour to winterize (if needed), and cover it back up.

so 4-5 hours at whatever shop rate is. I think most are $125-$150/hour. So, prep should be $500-900 depending on rates and weather conditions, in my opinion.

Edited by TenTwentyOne
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Let's not forget that most dealer will do a full detail. These boats are filthy when they leave Malibu. 

Agreed. Malibu/Axis should go to Monterrey Boats facility and see what clean boat building looks like. Even down to their $30-35k boats everything is equally rigged and finished fiberglass in storage areas (not like the raw fiberglass with jagged pieces left in Malibu/Axis). 

Edited by TexasA24
4 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Let's not forget that most dealer will do a full detail. These boats are dirty when they leave Malibu. 

Really? I was in a 2018 lsv back in the summer after opening and it looked very clean. 

Been through Nautique and Tige and they both get detailed at the factory. Unless you’re just talking about pressure washing. 

47 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Really? I was in a 2018 lsv back in the summer after opening and it looked very clean. 

Been through Nautique and Tige and they both get detailed at the factory. Unless you’re just talking about pressure washing. 

Yes, i have seen more than one fresh unit very dirty upon arrival.

17 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Let's not forget that most dealer will do a full detail. These boats are dirty when they leave Malibu. 

Really? I doubt it. I have seen at my dealer their $10 an hour lot boys cleaning them. I can't see most dealers shelling out a lot of money to clean up these boats. 

4 minutes ago, Wavemaker said:

Thanks for the replies.  I was quoted $3800 for just shipping and prep and I thought that was very high.  I'm thinking $1500 is much more reasonable.

I'd go tow it from the factory myself for that. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Wavemaker said:

Thanks for the replies.  I was quoted $3800 for just shipping and prep and I thought that was very high.  I'm thinking $1500 is much more reasonable.

You pretty far away from TN? $4250 was the number I saw on a 18 build sheet, but hard to get much further from TN than WA unless you are in Canada. 

2 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

You pretty far away from TN? $4250 was the number I saw on a 18 build sheet, but hard to get much further from TN than WA unless you are in Canada. 

I can see that for sure. It probably costs the dealer $2500-3000 just to ship to WA. And if it costs 3k, $1000-1250 is pretty reasonable for a good setup, prep, and detail.

2 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

I'm 900 miles from Loudon