Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Onboard Battery Charger Question

Cubacheski

Good morning all and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Now on to the question.  I am looking to add an onboard battery charger to my Malibu and have a couple of questions for the experts.  For reference sake I have a two battery set up in the boat.  I am looking at purchasing the ProMariner ProSport model.  

1.  Do I want to go with a 12 amp or 20 amp model?

2.  The different in price for a 2 bank to a 3 bank is only $12 so I was thinking about getting the 3 bank in the event I add a third battery.  Question is can you have a 3 bank charger with only two batteries connected?  Or do you have to have all three hooked up?

Thanks in advance for the help with my questions and once again hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

Bryan 

I have a 3 bank charger (although it is a different brand), and I just have left the third bank empty for now.  It works great.  

I would get the highest capacity that you can afford.  Charging the depleted batteries quicker will help them last longer.  A higher amperage better mixes the electrolytes in the fluid.   It is not a concern that it could cause damage since these chargers are 'smart' and stop charging as soon as the battery is charged.  

Do you have regular lead acid batteries?  

99% of us only need a 2 bank charger (stereo/accessory  bank, start bank). Charger you choose should be around 10% of your total amp hours (200hrs @ 10% would be 20amp charger). I went with a Pro Mariner Pronautic 50 amp since I have 4 batteries at 460 amp hours. 

Edited by TexasA24

I have the promariner 12, two bank. Charging two cranking batteries. It works great. My boat trips are several days to a week apart so no need for a fast charge but also have not run a battery down while boating even with my modest second hand three amp stereo system and a stock 55 amp alternator 

5 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

I have the promariner 12, two bank. Charging two cranking batteries. It works great. My boat trips are several days to a week apart so no need for a fast charge but also have not run a battery down while boating even with my modest second hand three amp stereo system and a stock 55 amp alternator 

I've got the promariner 8 2 bank.  Only thing I really use it for is as a tender over the winter, as I typically have a 2-3 mile run back to the launch from where we anchor , so the batteries have plenty of time to top off.