Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo Suggestions

guitarcrazy

I have just purchased a 2017 LSV23 and it has the base stereo.  I am looking to add sub and tower speakers.  On my last boat I had two Rev 10s and two MB8s on the tower, WS sub, and 3 WS amps.  I also had the WS420 with microphone.  It was a great setup and was loud, even when wakeboarding.  The new stereo setup looks to be a bit more difficult to configure.  The dealer said he can order the Malibu specific 6 channel WS amp, add two Rev-8s to tower, and add a WS sub for around $3000 installed.  Alternatively, I see some here have made connectors and added their own amp and sub/tower speakers.  Which direction would you go?  It seems some have had issues with the stereo cutting out at low volume, and possibly other issues.  Would you stay with Malibu parts and installation by dealer to keep it all under the warranty?  I miss the days when you could put whatever you wanted in a car or boat.  Nowadays they try to integrate everything into the stereo so you are stuck with their parts.  Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, guitarcrazy said:

It seems some have had issues with the stereo cutting out at low volume,

There have been some glitches in the signal between the Medallion black box and the OEM wet sound DSP amp. It has be noted a number of times that Wet Sounds is directly involved with resolving these issues, not sure what input Medallion has had. 

I would first decide on what woofer set up you want and what tower speakers. At that point, you can then better make the amp choices that best pair with the speakers. Next, you need to decide if you want zone control at your finger tips like with the Wet Sounds WS-420/220 or control through the Medallion unit is ok. This would definitely impact the amp route. 

13 minutes ago, guitarcrazy said:

Would you stay with Malibu parts and installation by dealer to keep it all under the warranty?

Not sure I understand this, may need to clarify with Malibu. Post-production dealer level add-ons are not usually warrantied by the factor for the same term as the boat's build sheet reflects. Just note, Wet Sounds equipment carries a 2 year warranty on individual components. Does not require amps to drive their speakers or their speakers be driven by their amp, just 2 years of coverage. 

19 minutes ago, guitarcrazy said:

I miss the days when you could put whatever you wanted in a car or boat.

Those days are not gone, just have to do things a little different not.

If I put the Malibu specific equipment in and something goes wrong I can take back to the dealer.  If I use adapters and install myself and something goes wrong I will have to remove and send back to WS or whomever myself.  Not a huge issue, but on a $100K boat it would be nice to have someone else take care of issues. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, guitarcrazy said:

If I put the Malibu specific equipment in and something goes wrong I can take back to the dealer. 

This is true and I understand. however, I would clarify the warranty part of it. Thats all im saying. If your post production installed gear does not carry the same factory warranty as the boat, did you gain anything? Having gear installed by a wet sounds dealer/installer just may get you the same convenience as having your dealer install the OEM gear after the fact, yet you dollar may go further.   

9 minutes ago, guitarcrazy said:

If I put the Malibu specific equipment in and something goes wrong I can take back to the dealer.  If I use adapters and install myself and something goes wrong I will have to remove and send back to WS or whomever myself.  Not a huge issue, but on a $100K boat it would be nice to have someone else take care of issues. 

This makes sense if your dealer has some knowledge about stereo equipment and tuning, etc.  Many dealers seem to not employ people who know much more than how to plug components in together. 

The takeaway being that these may "supported" components, but that when it's not working right you don't have anybody who actually knows how to fix or tune it to do anything.  They could swap widgets, but not necessarily "fix" a problem. 

Unfortunately we don't have any stereo shops here that specialize in wakeboat stereo.  I can go to the local car shop, or do it myself.  With my MB I did it myself, but it wasn't fun.