Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cig plugs and ballast pumps

The Hulk

FYI if you are wanting to use the ballast pumps over the side plugged into your cigarette lighters I suggest a quick mod.

What I've noticed is pumps like the tsunami seem to get very hot in the cigarette plug. if you pull them out and they happen to hit your seat they may burn your vinyl.. 

Upon further inspection behind several of the cigarette plugs I've noticed that the wires are quite small and more than likely cannot handle the full amp load of these pumps.. depending on how many times they've been split around the boat and where they are at.. 

I used a noco battery side connector with fuse to make a quick connect by passenger seat with switch directly to battery. The pump seems to fill faster and wires no longer get hot.. not to mention you don't have to have somebody sitting there holding the plug in the cig outlet anymore.. cost about $20 to do and is a dream compared to cig plugs.. well worth the time if u use secondary pumps and bags.. 

Edited by The Hulk
  • Like 2
21 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

FYI if you are wanting to use the ballast pumps over the side plugged into your cigarette lighters I suggest a quick mod.

What I've noticed is pumps like the tsunami seem to get very hot in the cigarette plug. if you pull them out and they happen to hit your seat they may burn your vinyl.. 

Upon further inspection behind several of the cigarette plugs I've noticed that the wires are quite small and more than likely cannot handle the full amp load of these pumps.. depending on how many times they've been split around the boat and where they are at.. 

I used a noco battery side connector with fuse to make a quick connect by passenger seat with switch directly to battery. The pump seems to fill faster and wires no longer get hot.. not to mention you don't have to have somebody sitting there holding the plug in the cig outlet anymore.. cost about $20 to do and is a dream compared to cig plugs.. well worth the time if u use secondary pumps and bags.. 

the plug should not get hot. Mine used to, so i took it apart to see what was going on. it was corroded and not grounding properly. I changed the plug end and have not had a problem with it heating up since.

24 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

It was like you were watching us fill bags on our boat or something. Everything you said is us... Hopefully not for long tho. We are hoping to get a new boat this off season.

In our 2001 VLX we used a cigarette lighter pump(can't remember which one, Tsunami sounds familiar tho). It worked great for us and we never had any real issues with it. 

Every single time we took it out of the socket and I let it touch my leg or arm or I accidentally grabbed it with my hand I would say some sort of four letter word and quickly swipe it away from that area. That thing was hot! 

We also had to have the driver hold it in the socket at the helm and yell when we were ready for it to be plugged in and yell as it was getting so full we could not keep the water from coming out. 

Needless to say, it took about 8-10 minutes to fill every sac in the boat and the drain time was about the same. Not bad for throwing the pump over the side. 

We finally just got lazy and stopped draining the rear sacs. They are only 400lbs in each locker, our lift could handle it. 

Sounds like a good "hack" to make things run a little better and smoother... and cooler!

3 hours ago, Chia said:

the plug should not get hot. Mine used to, so i took it apart to see what was going on. it was corroded and not grounding properly. I changed the plug end and have not had a problem with it heating up since.

again it will depend on the wiring in your boat and how far that socket is from the battery and how much your pump is pulling etc.. what i've noticed in my 25lsv is that the cig outlets are often strung together with smaller gauge wire that what you would want running those pumps. 

my OLDER 2013 was not as bad but never checked wire gauge or length it would get warmer in certain cig outlets compared to others though which makes me conclude the above. something to check and this is an easy fix so that ONE person can fill & drain easily. 

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

You got a picture of what the switch looks like? 

just used a simple switch from menards/home depot: although PLEASE take my advice> DO NOT put it where i did, i was not thinking and have to move it. you should put it somewhere in the middle of the wire. i dont know what i was thinking putting it near the pump and when i toss it over the switch is in the water....oh well worked for the summer. I'll splice the switch in somewhere up in middle of the wire.

20171121_161743.jpg

20171121_161750.jpg

20171121_161806.jpg

20171121_161835.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m lucky with 20ft just bought 500 in 50’s of lead for $442.00 and plan to eliminate my non pnp sacs, like adding 3 shredders and I get to tell them where to sit one body part at one time, legs over here torso over there, my 1st lead 

33-3900 inc full fuel or less and depending on actusl sac fill 

wedge

500lbs lead in a 20 ft boat

cant wait for leadwake to arrive to help us with our listing which is our method of great wave production and super low fuel consumption for an indmar 330 at sea level with the 1235 prop, we never have loads of people so with above load we get 4-6 gallons an hour

anybody know what their shipping times are, the DHL website has a delayed messsge since ship date

Edited by granddaddy55