Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak oil?

I like and use the Star Brite Premium Golden Teak Oil.  It brings out the natural color  of the teak and last the longer out in the elements than the Meguires teak oil.

Though I used the Sun-Brite stuff on my teak step (I wanted some stain), I used this stuff (Watco) on my wife's teak patio furniture.  I had heard about it here from other members.  Seems like good stuff. After sanding and some quick clean up with a thinner rag, (the patio furniture is older) it went on very nicely, and dried nicely to a non-oily finish.  

https://www.amazon.com/RUST-OLEUM-A67141-Finish-One-Step-Protection/dp/B00179362C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511189579&sr=8-2&keywords=watco+teak+oil

Edited by sunvalleylaw

Not using the oil ever again. This season I used StarBrites tropical sealer. I'll try to post pics later. Stuff is da bomb !  Not slippery in the slightest. Perfect coloration. 7 months in, and it looks like the day I did it. I dont think I need to touch it for next year either.

Steve B.

9 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Not using the oil ever again. This season I used StarBrites tropical sealer. I'll try to post pics later. Stuff is da bomb !  Not slippery in the slightest. Perfect coloration. 7 months in, and it looks like the day I did it. I dont think I need to touch it for next year either.

Steve B.

This is for a new teak deck that has never been oiled and will be used as a table, so I'm figuring that this will be a one and done ativity.

I used Watco Teak Oil and hours of sanding to restore my swimdeck.  It was locally available.  The Starbright brand teak deck kits are really nice, and will be what I get moving forward for brightening and touch ups.  If it was a fresh teak platform I would use teak oil and nothing else. 

I have personally seen poly finishes and deck sealants used on teak with the end result being that it either bakes in the sun and flakes, or the teak deck itself dries and cracks.  Occasional oiling of a teak deck exposed to UV, and a light sand every few years has kept swim platforms on friends and family's boats looking great and being very structurally sound after 20+ years.  I don't know if anyone has recommended a sealant that would cause this, but think its worth mentioning about sealing teak.  

I would agree with @oldjeep that the Watco brand leaves some surface oil.  I set my swimdeck out in the sun for a few hours between coats (it soaked up four coats after heavy sanding) and it seemed to reduce the residue.  A light sand after I was done and the residue was gone.  I would attribute this to needing to put on much lighter coats of oil with a rag, vs. using a foam brush and applying it very liberally as I did.  

Edited by Pra4sno
27 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@oldjeep:  The Watco brand leaves a very attractive result although sometimes it would leave a residue that took a while to go away.

Leaving it out in the sun for a day cured all of that on my wife's teak furniture, even with pretty heavy application, as some areas of the pretty weathered teak took more material than others.  But the sun cooked it right up.  I think the Watco would work fine for that table type use.  And since it is new, it probably can be applied a lot more sparingly than I applied it.  

As I said, I used the star brite stuff for my boat's teak deck, and it has held up very well over the summer. Maybe a very light touch up next spring and I am good to go.   But that boat saw relatively light use as I often skied behind others.  

I have a pic somewhere of the lawn furniture but can't find it. If it helps I will find one tonight.  I think the furniture came out nice looking, despite some Idaho weather.  I sanded, wiped with a thinner rag, then applied.  

Here is how the swim step looked after a summer of use, with the Star Brite Classic Teak, for comparison.

IMG_6609.jpg

(Hey!  Someone put a coaster under that beer!)

Edited by sunvalleylaw
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2017 at 11:34 AM, Steve B. said:

Steve B.

I did not have very good luck with the Star Brite tropical sealer (Natural Light color).  It gave my platform a bit of a "plastic" appearance.  It also scraped off pretty easily after a few days of skiing.  I would test it first on a small area to see if you like it. 

I actually just sanded it all off and went back to a normal Star Brite teak oil (no color).  First picture is fully sanded on the right (just started the left).  It was pretty well worn in quite a few spots, so the sanding was a pita.  Second photo is with two quick coats of oil.

a8BsJGM.jpg

qI7SWsM.jpg

14 hours ago, powbmps said:

I did not have very good luck with the Star Brite tropical sealer (Natural Light color).  It gave my platform a bit of a "plastic" appearance.  It also scraped off pretty easily after a few days of skiing.  I would test it first on a small area to see if you like it. 

I actually just sanded it all off and went back to a normal Star Brite teak oil (no color).  First picture is fully sanded on the right (just started the left).  It was pretty well worn in quite a few spots, so the sanding was a pita.  Second photo is with two quick coats of oil.

a8BsJGM.jpg

qI7SWsM.jpg

Your finished deck looks awesome !  Thankfully, mine with the tropical sealer came out literally perfect. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. It's almost a year in after being exposed the entire time.

Steve B.

:plus1: On the Star Brite Teak Oil. I don't like the oils with sealers. They dry and chip after use. With just good oil I can put a little oil on a rag and wipe the platform on the lift. I just pick a time I know I am not going to use the tug for a day or so. Looks like new. My deck is in the basement now after getting some coatings of fresh oil for the winter. Looks good. No sanding just oil.  I will get some photos later.  After using oils with sealers I had to sand everything to start back to good old oil. WwdTnmr.jpg

Edited by Sixball

I think I'm going to try oil this next year. I've been use the starbrite sealer since I got my boat a few years ago and it doesn't seem to bite into the wood like I think it should. It dries and come off easily when a ski or anything hard rubs across it. The bottom looks great still. I didn't even put a coat there last season. It may be the amount of sun it got where it used to be parked. At my new house it may get less we'll see. I may need to start covering it. I originally liked the sound of the sealer not leaving an oil slick like some people said the oil would have. Time to try something different.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2017 at 11:34 AM, Steve B. said:

Steve B.

I agree. Doesn't last that long for me but FAR longer than regular teak oil.  I typically apply 1-2x a year.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:34 AM, Steve B. said:

Steve B.

I used the sealer before last season after seeing a thread on here that said to do so. It worked great! I did not do anything to the deck during the season. Looked great and felt great all season! Has a few scuffs now(after 1 season of use and sitting in the sun everyday on the lift) but the color is still great! I am a firm believer in the sealer!

Ours looked like @sunvalleylaw deck after we used the sealer, maybe a tiny bit more of an orangish hue than his tho. I really loved the color. You can see the platform on my boat in my video below. 

https://youtu.be/f3PDd68N7fI

Edited by CBray4
video
7 minutes ago, gahvey said:

Looks really good @oldjeep  My wife wants one of those now :-) 

Would have been really simple if I had just paid the guy who builds the racks to stain it black instead of me having to take it to pieces, prime and paint it after I decided that the clear coat I ordered looked bad with the teak.

https://www.winestackers.com/  is where I got it.  It is basically the 42 bottle rack ordered with no top, and then I bought a couple sets of his stemware holders

Worst part is finding a decent platform, I lucked out on a new one off ebay for $150

WP_20171212_20_40_43_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20171213_18_38_15_Pro[1].jpg

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Would have been really simple if I had just paid the guy who builds the racks to stain it black instead of me having to take it to pieces, prime and paint it after I decided that the clear coat I ordered looked bad with the teak.

https://www.winestackers.com/  is where I got it.  It is basically the 42 bottle rack ordered with no top, and then I bought a couple sets of his stemware holders

Worst part is finding a decent platform, I lucked out on a new one off ebay for $150

WP_20171212_20_40_43_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20171213_18_38_15_Pro[1].jpg

I love the rack. Do you have a cellar?

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I'm on coat 5 of the teak oil - 1/3 of the bottle.  This platform is really thirsty.  Guess I'll keep doing it at least once a day until xmas.

WP_20171222_09_39_41_Pro[1].jpg

Love it!  Are you going to do anything else to it?  I was just imagining a set of cleats and rope to tether it to the wall...you know, for safety.  Also, the obligatory serving tray is in order. ;)

Oh, and some nav lights and a no-wake zone buoy too :lol:

10 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Love it!  Are you going to do anything else to it?  I was just imagining a set of cleats and rope to tether it to the wall...you know, for safety.  Also, the obligatory serving tray is in order. ;)

Oh, and some nav lights and a no-wake zone buoy too :lol:

I was originally going to put a v-drive pylon on it but couldn't get one at a reasonable price.  So no, nothing else to be done but load it up with wine and fill the glass racks.