Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 23 LSV vs 2018 Axis A24 vs 2018 23 LSV

guitarcrazy

It looks like I have a buyer for my 2012 MB Sports B52 23V.  I was thinking of getting another MB, but my local Malibu dealer has been tempting me with the Malibu and Axis boats.  It looks like the pricing works out to around a $10K difference to step up from the 2018 A24 to the 2017 LSV, and another $10K to go from the 2017 to the 2018.  Is the 2018 LSV worth another $20K over the Axis?  Do the differences between the 2017 and 2018 LSV justify the price jump?  Not super knowledgeable about the Malibu lines, but I know the Malibu is by far the better looking and feeling boat, especially in the interior.  I have really enjoyed my MB, but having a local dealer would be a nice change.  Thanks. 

Edited by guitarcrazy

The A24 is a beast, especially with the new Power Wedge 2.  I own a 2017 LSV which has been awesome.  However, if you can live with a slight downgrade interior, no electronic dash, have a place to store the boat I would go 2018 A24 all day long.  I have been out in the 2018 A24 - wake and wave are crazy good for the money.  The 2018 also has the 17" prop and 2:1 transmission #gamechanger in performance (the 2018 LSV should have had this powertrain), you can get away with the 409 engine unless you are going to run crazy weight or at high elevation.

Where are you located at?

Edited by Fman

We surf, wakeboard, and cruise.  Not much for tubing any more, the kids are both in college so just board sports.  Surfing is probably a little more important than wakeboarding, but we do both. Thanks.  J

The Axis dash is one of the things that I really can't get used to.  The MB dash is just a standard analog setup, but it has nice flat spots to set things, phones, etc.  The Axis helm looks like there is no place to set anything.  I don't mind not having the screens, but I wish there was some flat surfaces to at least rest a phone. 

1 minute ago, guitarcrazy said:

The Axis dash is one of the things that I really can't get used to.  The MB dash is just a standard analog setup, but it has nice flat spots to set things, phones, etc.  The Axis helm looks like there is no place to set anything.  I don't mind not having the screens, but I wish there was some flat surfaces to at least rest a phone. 

Just install a $10 phone holder, easy fix.  Seriously if you want a surf machine go A24, it will have a superior wave against the 2017 and 2018 LSV.  I have also been in the 2018 LSV, not on par with the A24 for what happens behind the boat.

2 minutes ago, guitarcrazy said:

It looks like I have a buyer for my 2012 MB Sports B52 23V.  I was thinking of getting another MB, but my local Malibu dealer has been tempting me with the Malibu and Axis boats.  It looks like the pricing works out to around a $10K difference to step up from the A24 to the 2017 LSV, and another $10K to go from the 2017 to the 2018.  Is the 2018 LSV worth another $20K over the Axis?  Do the differences between the 2017 and 2018 LSV justify the price jump?  Not super knowledgeable about the Malibu lines, but I know the Malibu is by far the better looking and feeling boat, especially in the interior.  I have really enjoyed my MB, but having a local dealer would be a nice change.  Thanks. 

With Axis adding the Power Wedge 2, 2:1 tranny ratio, and 17 inch prop in 2018, I think Axis has stepped their game up a lot. We are looking at ordering a 18 A24. I have a 2001 Malibu VLX now but from what I have seen the new Malibu's have more "tech" in the boat than the A24. Touch Screens at the helm specifically, which have had a few issues in the past. I personally was swayed toward Axis first because of the Power Wedge 2, the surfgate, and no touch screens. Of course I love the "tech" in the new Malibu's but those boats are out of our budget. Coming from a 2001 VLX, the 18 A24 will be like heaven to us in every aspect I think.

I don't have a lot of info for you but at the least take a look at the Axis if your budget is restricting you at all. If we had the money we would buy a brand new 24MXZ but our budget looks like it will only allow for the A24.

We only surf. We have a big family(12 in my immediate family alone). So a big boat is what we need. We don't care much about having the biggest or best wave ever since we are not pro wakesurfers. I think the A24 would be a good buy for us.

I personally don't think it is worth the $20K for the 18 LSV. 

Everyone here will tell you to go demo the boats and decide for yourself. 

• Like 1

After reading this thread, it got me thinking about my 2017 23 lsv. My 23 lsv the wave is good, maybe not as good as an A24, but after seeing a few photos of a 2018 A24, I wouldn't even consider switching from a 2017 23 lsv to a 2018 A24.  Just my opinion.

I'm an Axis guy through and through, when I look at the dash its "yep all the buttons are there".  Maybe you are a Malibu guy? Even if there were flat spots on the axis dash without a wrap around windshield I would not trust setting anything there. 

All of those boats are going to perform well.  I think when comparing an Axis vs Malibu you first have decide the level of fit and finish you want. 

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

10 kids!!!???  wow!!  my bro has 7 and I have 4 plus 3 stepkids.

haha I don't have 10 kids. Shoot... I don't have any kids. :rockon:

Our crew is usually my parents, my 3 brothers and their better halves, my niece and nephew, and my wife and I(plus any friends that want to come). Its only growing from here. My brother has one in the oven. I will be having kids in the next few years also. My other brother is not married yet but will be soon we have a feeling and he is 32 so kids with follow suit I would be willing to bet. Our family dinners are fun to say the least!

12 minutes ago, vanamp said:

I think when comparing an Axis vs Malibu you first have decide the level of fit and finish you want. 

Agreed!

1 hour ago, Fman said:

Seriously if you want a surf machine go A24, it will have a superior wave against the 2017 and 2018 LSV.  I have also been in the 2018 LSV, not on par with the A24 for what happens behind the boat.

That’s a pretty bold claim, have you surfed both? 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, CBray4 said:

haha I don't have 10 kids. Shoot... I don't have any kids. :rockon:

Our crew is usually my parents, my 3 brothers and their better halves, my niece and nephew, and my wife and I(plus any friends that want to come). Its only growing from here. My brother has one in the oven. I will be having kids in the next few years also. My other brother is not married yet but will be soon we have a feeling and he is 32 so kids with follow suit I would be willing to bet. Our family dinners are fun to say the least!

Agreed!

yeah we had 41 peeps at thanksgiving 2 years ago.  4 turkeys. 

13 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Did not surf them, rode in both back to back same day.  I have been around long enough to visually look at a wave and see the difference.  Even if I surfed both of them waves are very subjective to personal taste.  The A24 pocket was definitely longer, taller and imo had a much better lip than the 2018 lsv.  Obviously the OP needs to demo them both, just having the 17" prop and 2:1 trans over the 2018 LSV is hands down a better power plant.  Im not sure why malibu put a 15" prop on the 2018 it deserves a 17" prop.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

yeah we had 41 peeps at thanksgiving 2 years ago.  4 turkeys. 

We have a very large extended family as well for Holidays. Mom is the oldest of 6, dad is the oldest of 7, and all of these aunts and uncles firmly believe in reproducing. I use the phrase "very large" to describe the number of people and the body type of most of the people in my family. We know how to eat here in Oklahoma. 

1 hour ago, bbattiste247 said:

after seeing a few photos of a 2018 A24, I wouldn't even consider switching from a 2017 23 lsv to a 2018 A24.  Just my opinion.

44 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:
2 hours ago, Fman said:

Seriously if you want a surf machine go A24, it will have a superior wave against the 2017 and 2018 LSV.  I have also been in the 2018 LSV, not on par with the A24 for what happens behind the boat.

Two totally different sides.. It really does come down to personal preference huh? Or maybe the way the operator set up the boats on those specific days...?

• Like 1

theres a spot under the throttle to put a phone in the A24, also the new glove box is nice and flat gives space infront of windsheild.

The wave is awesome with the pw2 and the wake is insane. 

4 hours ago, guitarcrazy said:

We surf, wakeboard, and cruise.  Not much for tubing any more, the kids are both in college so just board sports.  Surfing is probably a little more important than wakeboarding, but we do both. Thanks.  J

There is a well optioned 18' for sale in the classifieds......And its a surf machine.....I have video and photo proof.....Just sayin.....

• Like 3
6 hours ago, teamerickson said:

Resale is way easier/better on a Malibu. 

28 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

sold my 15 A22 (75hrs)for 59k bought it new for 70k...just sayin...

I haven’t sold a Malibu but my Axis sold within a week of me listing it and for more than I paid for it new, so I’d disagree with that statement. 

• Like 1

It depends on location but Malibu has the name recognition and I feel it holds value better. When I listed my 2014 T22 I had a few people inquire that had never heard of Axis. 

Edited by teamerickson
1 hour ago, That Guy said:

I haven’t sold a Malibu but my Axis sold within a week of me listing it and for more than I paid for it new, so I’d disagree with that statement. 

yep mine sold in 4 days.  mid june.

I got to see a 2018 A24 wave in person.  It was very long and tall.  I was really impressed.   The power wedge II is the real deal, I was impressed with that too.   For wakeboarding with full ballast, the 409 was plenty of power at 1100 feet elevation.  

I have not seen the 23 LSV wave up close.  

Coming from a new boat with all the whizbang screen crap on it, I thought it would be easy to go back to all switches like my 2006 Malibu 247.  After sitting in the Axis, I realized how awesome it is that I have a preset for surfing and I hit one button and I am ready to go.  I think I actually would miss the presets, but am sure I would get used to it again.  I still consider my 2006 247 my favorite boat next to my current boat.  

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I got to see a 2018 A24 wave in person.  It was very long and tall.  I was really impressed.   The power wedge II is the real deal, I was impressed with that too.   For wakeboarding with full ballast, the 409 was plenty of power at 1100 feet elevation.  

I have not seen the 23 LSV wave up close.  

Coming from a new boat with all the whizbang screen crap on it, I thought it would be easy to go back to all switches like my 2006 Malibu 247.  After sitting in the Axis, I realized how awesome it is that I have a preset for surfing and I hit one button and I am ready to go.  I think I actually would miss the presets, but am sure I would get used to it again.  I still consider my 2006 247 my favorite boat next to my current boat.  

So I am not crazy...the A24 is legit.  I have been preaching this since my demo in Louden.  Hard to argue its not one amazing value for what you are getting behind the boat.  And it has a ton of space for a lot of peeps.

You definitely get a different feel from a Malibu vs. Axis.  The Axis has improved quite a bit BUT the Malibu definitely has enough small upgrades  to add up and be easily noticeable.  I'm sure it's no different sittting in the Axis then to a Nautique.

Edited by Fman