Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tundra Owners - Long Term Tow Rig?

Pra4sno

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:17 AM, malibu2004 said:

That should tell you something about Tundras. 

It does certainly say something; however, over the weekend I passed on two very nice looking Tundra's because their cam towers were leaking at <40k miles.  I called and spoke with my local Toyota dealer and it is covered under the 60k powertrain, BUT, this service advisor who I know quite well said the cam tower leaks require the motor to be pulled, many internal accessories removed, and that over a dozen seals are replaced before it is reassembled.  He noted that they don't do them often and that it is one of his technicians least favorite jobs due to the low billable hours for the work involved and that many times it doesn't go quite right and has to be redone.  Probably not a common issue, but this SA knew of it right away, and could give me pricing on it out of warranty:  $2570 + rental car as they ask for minimum 3 days.   

Edited by Pra4sno

I love my two.  The one I drive is a 2010 Limited 2wd.  I bought it with 32,000 on it in 2012 and have put 80,000+ miles on it myself.  Gas, oil, tires & 1 set of brake pads.  Absolutely love it.  Bought my wife a 2016 Platinum 4x4 when we bought the new LSV because my truck didn't like the big boat on a mud ramp.  Our old 22 vlx (1996) was much lighter so it wasn't an issue.  Until last year, we drug our boat back and forth from Central California up to Lake Shasta regularly without issue (other than gas).  Now we use a boat locker, so we tow a lot less.  Truth be told, gas milage is not my #1 concern.  I like the room in the cab, I like the dependability and I like the looks of both my trucks.  Find what you like (Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Toyota/Nissan), buy it and drive it.  If you get too caught up in what other people like, soon you'll be driving what everyone else likes instead of what you like.  Take it for what it's worth....

Dave

• Like 2

i don't have a tundra, but i do have a V8 4Runner with over 200k miles on it.  i know, completely different vehicle, but it speaks to toyota's quality and reliability.   i think a lot of issues with most brands can be avoided with decent care and upkeep. for the most part, you can tell which vehicles have been taken care of and which haven't.  i use mine as my DD and to tow my VLX with no issues.  yes, i can feel the boat there, but i get decent mileage towing (12ish) and it doesn't exactly hold up traffic.  i have the load leveling suspension which is a huge help and doesn't result in the carolina lean; i can say that, i'm from NC!  used it to tow to norris from cincinnati late this summer.  those who know the trip know there are a couple of decent climbs in there.  

the tundra is the lead option for my next vehicle, just waiting to see what they do with the redesign.  that said, buddy has a 14 F150 with a tuned 6.2, it's a beast!  he's had no issues with it...other than his requires premium gas....and it has a 36 gallon tank 

• Like 1

I recently bought a '16 SR5 double cab. I've only put 900 miles on it so I can't really give a long term review of the thing. I'm not attached to any one brand so when I was shopping I looked at a number of trucks. I will say that Ford was pretty much out from the start due to issues I've had in the past with their vehicles, but I did look at them. Also, I didn't really look at the higher end offerings, all middle of the road. 

That all said, there are a lot of nice features in all the trucks out there. Interior fit and finish and attractiveness is subjective so I am not going to comment on that, pick what YOU like. I went to look at 5 different Tundras before I bought mine. One was beat pretty bad, drove ok, but with the damage in the bed, it had been overloaded and I didn't want the long term effects of that. The other four were sold before I got there. Now granted I only went to look at ones that I thought were good deals, so others thought so as well. But they usually do not last long on the lots. The dealer where I bought mine said he gets them in and they are gone quickly.

The reasons I bought the Tundra were mostly subjective. Center console with center shifter, the way it drove, the power (it has 380hp, not sure how that is considered weak, maybe not as strong as others, but it is a stout engine), the transmission, looks, some other small features. One thing that didn't impress me with it is the interior materials, lots of hard plastic. The cloth interior I've found is horrible with pet hair. It doesn't like to come off. 

My truck has the factory wheels and tires but a leveling kit. I avg 16.5 mpg. I hauled 2000+ lbs in it last weekend, no issues. The transmission with its down shifting and engine braking is pretty nice. I'm sure other manufacturers offer this as well, but it came on strong when hauling some weight. I didn't haul/tow anything with the other trucks I looked at. 

Another truck I liked which everyone loves to hate was the Titan. My wife drives an Armada, and I like it, we haven't had many issues with it, but it hasn't been bullet proof either. I looked at a '15 Titan which I thought was pretty nice, drove well, etc. One reason I didn't get too deep on it was it has the same interior of the Armada. I wanted some difference. But the interior was nicer than the Tundra and in all honesty it drove tighter as well. It didn't have the power and the transmission didn't offer as much as well. I looked at a newer Titan, but too many horror stories so far.

So far I am happy with the truck, but honestly, I am easily satisfied. The truck does what I want it to do. It has good power, mileage is a bit dismal, but I think that is made up for in longevity, we'll see. I know in looking at trucks that were older, the Toyota all had higher values.  

Haha, Fords' already in the shop.  

Auxiliary transmission fluid pump failure at 29k miles.  Technician sheared a bolt installing the new pump so they have to have it machined out.  

I'm feeling smart for going with an 8 year bumper to bumper.

10 minutes ago, Pra4sno said:

Haha, Fords' already in the shop.  

Auxiliary transmission fluid pump failure at 29k miles.  Technician sheared a bolt installing the new pump so they have to have it machined out.  

I'm feeling smart for going with an 8 year bumper to bumper.

You would feel even smarter if you had bought a new Ram ;)

They said it was an issue with their priming technique and that it's corrected now.  New pumps aren't having any issues after replacement.  

I'll keep putting miles on their rentals...

My Tundra was in the shop for 3 days last week. But not really it's fault, we'll blame the deer. Still averaging 16 mpg with mixed driving and decent warm up time on these cold mornings. Not that greatest but better than the last ride.

1 hour ago, Falko said:

My Tundra was in the shop for 3 days last week. But not really it's fault, we'll blame the deer. Still averaging 16 mpg with mixed driving and decent warm up time on these cold mornings. Not that greatest but better than the last ride.

Pics or it didn't happen :biggrin:

Tundra in the shop.....must be a typo!

If you really enjoy break downs, XYZ leaks, check engine lights, burned out power window motors and failed A/C components don’t buy a Toyota.  If you want a truck that is looks and is considered worn out at 100k miles don’t buy a Toyota.

And if the arrangement with your wife is you can get a new truck when your current one starts to give you problems... and you’re a new every couple years type of guy... don’t buy a Toyota.  There are much better options to help you “Buy American” much more frequently.

1 hour ago, Fman said:

Pics or it didn't happen :biggrin:

Tundra in the shop.....must be a typo!

How about a pic of the body shop bill?   $2400 of damage, nice 6 point buck though...

1 hour ago, robbennett said:

That was the first year of the 2.7 ecoboost powertrain. A couple of issues are expected under warranty. Definitely still think you will really enjoy that truck. 

You're going to get to know the shop guys really good. Never buy a first year anything. 

3 hours ago, malibu2004 said:

You're going to get to know the shop guys really good. Never buy a first year anything. 

They aren't that bad. I have a family member with just over 100k and has only done regular maintenance. 

My 2010 Tundra 4.6 just topped 130k with absolutely no issues other than brake pads and normal maintenance. I tow my VLX and a camper which weighs about the same as the boat regularly and I love it. Going to drive this thing for as long as it will last. 

12 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

If you really enjoy break downs, XYZ leaks, check engine lights, burned out power window motors and failed A/C components don’t buy a Toyota.  If you want a truck that is looks and is considered worn out at 100k miles don’t buy a Toyota.

And if the arrangement with your wife is you can get a new truck when your current one starts to give you problems... and you’re a new every couple years type of guy... don’t buy a Toyota.  There are much better options to help you “Buy American” much more frequently.

Everyone says this, but both of my recent Toyota's were chock full of issues.  They never failed to start, but were in the shop plenty. 

I shopped 5 Tundras during my search.  All under 30k miles and newer than '14 except one 2010 4.6.  

That 2010 was a great truck.  Of the other 4, three 5.7's had cam tower leaks and the 4th had been abused.

I finally left Toyota after horrible service at three different dealers and trucks they continued to tell me things were normal on, only to suffer failures later.  My experience at the ford dealership so far from a customer service standpoint has been stellar.  

Time will tell, but on this one I've got to say to each their own.  

Edited by Pra4sno
7 minutes ago, Pra4sno said:

Everyone says this, but both of my recent Toyota's were chock full of issues.  They never failed to start, but were in the shop plenty. 

I shopped 5 Tundras during my search.  All under 30k miles and newer than '14 except one 2010 4.6.  

That 2010 was a great truck.  Of the other 4, three 5.7's had cam tower leaks and the 4th had been abused.

I finally left Toyota after horrible service at three different dealers and trucks they continued to tell me things were normal on, only to suffer failures later.  My experience at the ford dealership so far from a customer service standpoint has been stellar.  

Time will tell, but on this one I've got to say to each their own.  

Shhh...don't let the secret out.  Let the Toyota fan boys keep the price of Toyotas up, while the rest of us get something better for less.

On 12/4/2017 at 9:33 PM, MadMan said:

Shhh...don't let the secret out.  Let the Toyota fan boys keep the price of Toyotas up, while the rest of us get something better for less.

So.... new Tundra Platinums are $47k just about everywhere, with the 5.7.

New F150 Platinums start at $50k... with the 5.0.

you must be talking used because Toyotas don’t fall apart at 100k?