Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tundra Owners - Long Term Tow Rig?

Pra4sno

Hey all, 

I'm looking to see what experience everyone has here with their Tundras.  A car accident years ago tempered my need for speed, and my 6 cylinder Toyota's have always had enough power for me since then...but my '17 Tacoma is proving itself to be downright pitiful.  It will tow my Echelon around town because I have it in a manual transmission and it comes with 4.30 gearing, but any climb on the way to the reservoir I'm digging several gears, and pulling up the ramp is going to take the life out my clutch.  The point of owning a Toyota is the reliability above all, and I recognize that if I'm going to pay for a clutch before 100,000 miles I can justify the fuel economy of a Tundra.  

I've shopped around and think I have found the truck I want.  Its a '14 SR5 Double Cab 4x4 with the 5.7/tow package and under 30k miles.  With the trade offer I got on the Tacoma I can almost trade straight across for the 1/2 ton.  I've been learning what I can on the Tundra forums, have taken multiple test drives of different variations of the truck, and am particularly interested in what this crowd thinks of their trucks.  

I did test out the following:

2017 SR 4x4 with the 4.6 - ruled it out.  That motor is surprisingly strong in comparison to my current truck, but it was very much a work truck and resale would be low.  Also had no factory towing package available.  

2014 SR5 4x4 Double Cab with the 5.7, tow package, etc. Like this one the most, particularly the 6.5' bed with a shorter overall wheelbase than the crewmax or longbed variations.  That 5.7 pulls.  Had enough creature comforts without getting out of my price range.  

2015 Platinum 4x4 Crewmax short bed, 5.7, tow package, etc.  That full sliding window was nice.  Truck overall was too large, and way out of my price range even with higher miles.  

I keep my cars for a long time, so this Tundra will likely be held for 10+ years.  I'm pulling a 4500-5000 lb combo of a tandem axle with my Echelon.  I won't be upgrading my Echelon for years, and when I do it would be to get a 3 sport boat under 23ft.  

I did shop Ford and Chevy.  Good vehicles, just didn't feel like the right fit.

Edited by Pra4sno

Million mile tundra: http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1602-the-million-mile-2007-toyota-tundra/

They run forever, will tow your echelon very, very well.  I've used one a couple times to pull my SSlxi and it did way better than my 2001 F250 V10,  expect 10mpg towing and 13-15 around town and you will be happy.  I have a 2002 4runner with 258k, so I am a Toyota Guy at heart. However, I will likely end up with an F150 soon for MPG, newer drive train technology and overall new interior technology.  Toyota has had that 5.7/trans combo since 2006/7, it is bomb proof.

Thanks for your response and input!  I've seen that million mile truck.  Good old Mikey Sweers is in the video which made me laugh.

I have been by Ford and driven the F150s ranging from '10 to '17s in various trim levels.  Spoke with some techs too and they all agree that they would take the 5.0 over the ecoboost due to reliability and simplicity.  Have a few buddies with ecoboosts and I'm impressed with the power, but not with the work they have had to have done.

Put me back in the camp that I've been in a long time:  I can easily afford poor gas mileage if I'm not replacing drivetrain components and can get some money out of the thing when I sell it.

I just picked up a 2014 platinum 4x4  5.7 earlier this year with 32k miles on it.  I now have 39k miles.  Towed our lsv with it all summer.   It does fine towing our lsv, definitely not a diesel but had no problems with the lsv which is about 7kish pounds loaded up.

I believe in 2015 or 16 they went to a larger fuel tank which would be a nice bonus.  Not sure if that is in your price range.

Up to this point it has been a solid rig and the previous owner only had one dealer visit for a stereo BT issue prior to selling it to me.  Admittingly I am a total Toyota junkie, every Toyota I have owned has been awesome.  My previous Sequoia I had for 12 years, towed a wakeboat 8 years with it and only had two minor issues the entire ownership.  When I put it up for sale it sold in one day.

To answer your question on longevity yes I have no doubt this Tundra will take me into retirement and then some.  A co-worker has over 160k on his Tundra and it's been flawless for him.

if you keep trucks for 10 years then I don't understand the "resale would be low" comment.  Resale on a 10 year old truck is low .

fwiw, resale on any non crew cab truck is going to be low.  Plus side is that you should be able to get a deal since demand for an extended cab these days is really low.

1 hour ago, Pra4sno said:

Thanks for your response and input!  I've seen that million mile truck.  Good old Mikey Sweers is in the video which made me laugh.

I have been by Ford and driven the F150s ranging from '10 to '17s in various trim levels.  Spoke with some techs too and they all agree that they would take the 5.0 over the ecoboost due to reliability and simplicity.  Have a few buddies with ecoboosts and I'm impressed with the power, but not with the work they have had to have done.

Put me back in the camp that I've been in a long time:  I can easily afford poor gas mileage if I'm not replacing drivetrain components and can get some money out of the thing when I sell it.

If I end up with the f150, the 5.0 is the motor I want to get for sure. 

I keep jumping between the "just turn the key and never have to worry about it" and "I am a techy who like the newest technologies!" camps.

2 hours ago, Pra4sno said:

With the 5.7L driving easy on the pedal you will get about 14 around town and around 16 on the freeway.  They don't get great mileage, towing I am around 8ish.  I do have a leveling kit with 33" tires, and a bed cover on it.  I have heard you lose about 1mpg with leveling kit and larger tires.  Regardless don't expect great results with the fuel mileage, that is where the Ford Eco takes it hands down.

Noticeably absent from your search is Ram.  From the sounds of it, you're looking at about a $30,000 truck?  That should be able to put you in a 2014, maybe 15, laramie 4x4 wherein you'll get 21+ on the highway, and 16 around town.  It's a good ol' american V8 so longevity will be fine, and the new ZF tranny has (to my research) proven very durable and is used by numerous manufacturers.  You'll fine the interior is the nicest of all (at these trim levels) and comes standard with heated/cooled seats, etc., and many things you can't even get on other trucks (in floor coolers, etc.).  I'm on my second, not because the first was bad, I had it 5 years and got into a car.  That lasted a year and bought the exact same truck.  In 110,000 miles on my dodges I've had 1 warranty issue and 0 out of warranty issues.  Dodge getting knocked for reliability is a bygone era.  They are outstanding trucks, with comparable if not superior horsepower, comparable if not superior MPGs, and indisputably the best ride with the coil spring setup unlike everyone else's leafs.  IF you can't tell, I'm a fanboy.  Very well-built and feature-laden trucks.  If they said Ford not Ram the whole world would be in them.

I can say the same about GM trucks that 85 Barefoot says about the Rams.  I do, however, own a Ram 2500 diesel that gets 18mpg hand calc'd on trips and 9.8 towing 10000 lbs thru hilly country.   power out the wazoo. also have a 200hp tune.  as much as I love gm gassers..for a truck I will never go back to gas.  my wife now wants a Ram 2500 diesel..lol.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Noticeably absent from your search is Ram.  From the sounds of it, you're looking at about a $30,000 truck?  That should be able to put you in a 2014, maybe 15, laramie 4x4 wherein you'll get 21+ on the highway, and 16 around town.  It's a good ol' american V8 so longevity will be fine, and the new ZF tranny has (to my research) proven very durable and is used by numerous manufacturers.  You'll fine the interior is the nicest of all (at these trim levels) and comes standard with heated/cooled seats, etc., and many things you can't even get on other trucks (in floor coolers, etc.).  I'm on my second, not because the first was bad, I had it 5 years and got into a car.  That lasted a year and bought the exact same truck.  In 110,000 miles on my dodges I've had 1 warranty issue and 0 out of warranty issues.  Dodge getting knocked for reliability is a bygone era.  They are outstanding trucks, with comparable if not superior horsepower, comparable if not superior MPGs, and indisputably the best ride with the coil spring setup unlike everyone else's leafs.  IF you can't tell, I'm a fanboy.  Very well-built and feature-laden trucks.  If they said Ford not Ram the whole world would be in them.

x2.  I've got 160k on my 2009 crew cab hemi with no major issues. Paid 27k for it brand new.

To be fair the neighbors with GM's don't seem to have any issues either (both are GMC 6.2L).  The Fords seem to be much less popular here, as there is only 1 left on my street - the others replaced with Ram or GMC. 

Edited by oldjeep

I have a 2012 Tundra 4x4, 5.7 with 68k on it. The only thing I've done to it is replace the pads and oil changes. I get around 14 in town and if I keep at 75 and below I get 18 on the interstate. I tow a 6500 pound trailer and my 2004 VLX with no issues. It does like gas A LOT when I'm towing. I have the 26 gallon tank which is a joke but that's the way it goes. 

The only thing I wish it had was more payload capacity because I want a camper and the capacity limits my choices. 

I did have a low fuel light come on for a few days when the tank is full. It's out now. 

Edited by malibu2004
1 hour ago, carguy79ta said:

I can say the same about GM trucks that 85 Barefoot says about the Rams.  I do, however, own a Ram 2500 diesel that gets 18mpg hand calc'd on trips and 9.8 towing 10000 lbs thru hilly country.   power out the wazoo. also have a 200hp tune.  as much as I love gm gassers..for a truck I will never go back to gas.  my wife now wants a Ram 2500 diesel..lol.

Can you?  In my area you can't touch a GM with the options a laramie ram has for the same price, and for that matter less power, fewer cogs, fewer features, and worse ride.  

I have posted in other topics about the Tundra and they are FANTASTIC trucks. I replaced my 03 Ram 2500 (DSL) with a Tundra (5.7 DBL cab) and was upset about having to do so. But I tell ya, that Tundra pulled everything I threw at it without skipping a beat! Bought it new ($36K CDN) drove it for 6 years (39X,XXX K) and sold it for $9K. 

If the Tundra could pull (Legally) 15,000 Lbs. I would still be driving one.

53 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Can you?  In my area you can't touch a GM with the options a laramie ram has for the same price, and for that matter less power, fewer cogs, fewer features, and worse ride.  

what I meant was...I am a GM fanboy.  only recently became a Ram 2500 diesel fanboy after buying a 4yo from my godson.  I researched GM and Ram (no way no Ford for me period) and found that the Ram was about 5 k cheaper.  that and my racecar builder states in his opinion that the Cummins was the best.  that being said I believe the LS family of motors are the greatest thing since sliced bread and Chevy big block motors.  you can throw 800hp at a 5.3 no probs.  had a 14 and a 15 1500 silverado and my son has a 17gmc (ford convert)  the LS motors run like a swiss watch.  if you ever have the valve covers off, you will notice small rockers.  lightweight and 1.7 ratio are a few reasons they rev so well. as far as comparing 1500 series pricing for ram and gm ..havent done it.

7 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Ram is absent based on personal, historical experience with them.  2004, 3/4 ton 2500 5.7:  Two front end rebuilds, 1x reman transmission, 2x ball joint and tie rod end failures, 1x heater core failure, 1x AC compressor failure...the list goes on a work truck that made it to 120k.  Was maintained by dealer yet back in the shop every couple weeks for something.  This was during the time they were known as Dodge, and the truck was worked hard when it wasn't in a bay up on a lift.  Was replaced with an older 1999 2500 chevy with 180k miles that did the same work with no down time. 

I think that Fiat's leadership is doing strong work with the RAM brand and I continue to hear more and more positive experiences with Ram.  That being said, going to be awhile before I revisit one.  Definitely appreciate the input from an owner.  

You're correct that I'm looking around $30k.  I'd like to be newer than '14 and getting decent mileage.  I am currently split between a '14 Tundra with the 5.7, a '16 F150 with the 5.0L, and a '16 F150 with the 3.5 Eco. All are double cabs or "supercabs" (extended models, not crew cab).   Very close in price and miles, but surprisingly different trucks.  The QAQC on the Tundras is shockingly good.  I drove an '08 with 140k on it at the recommendation of the sales guy and it drove like it was brand new.  Within hours I also drove an '11 F150 Ecoboost with 95k on it and the truck felt very much like a used truck.  It's making the decision harder.  

The forced induction of the Ecoboost at elevation has me interested - it really pulled when I got onto the gas, but the transition from NA to boost in the truck felt awkward.  Something I'm certain I would get used to quickly though. The NA 5.0 and 5.7 motors are both phenomenal from a HP, TQ, and delivery standpoint.  They both sound great and power is instantaneous.  The mileage difference between the two was really surprising.  I averaged 12.6 in the Tundra and 17.8 in the F150 driving the same 30 mile route, nearly the same way.  Obviously that adds up.    

Edited by Pra4sno

You should be able to find a new ‘17 F150 or ram for $30k if you search. I bought a crew cab 2016 F150 4x4 ecoboost last December for 31k and a buddy of mine just bought a crew cab 2017 ram 4x4 hemi for just over $30k a few weeks back. Granted neither of ours are loaded but both have power everything, backup camera, mine has remote start, etc. more than you need for sure and we’re both happy with them.   No experience with gm’s here. 

21 minutes ago, That Guy said:

You should be able to find a new ‘17 F150 or ram for $30k if you search. I bought a crew cab 2016 F150 4x4 ecoboost last December for 31k and a buddy of mine just bought a crew cab 2017 ram 4x4 hemi for just over $30k a few weeks back. Granted neither of ours are loaded but both have power everything, backup camera, mine has remote start, etc. more than you need for sure and we’re both happy with them.   No experience with gm’s here. 

Thanks for the input!  How are you liking the truck?  2.7 or 3.5?

1 hour ago, Pra4sno said:

The QAQC on the Tundras is shockingly good.  I drove an '08 with 140k on it at the recommendation of the sales guy and it drove like it was brand new.  Within hours I also drove an '11 F150 Ecoboost with 95k on it and the truck felt very much like a used truck.  It's making the decision harder.  

I end up buying and selling a number of used cars.  Unless you know how the PO used and maintained the vehicle, I really don't think you can draw much of a conclusion comparing two used vehicles in terms of the OEM's QAQC.

One owner can baby a vehicle, and another can beat on it.  

If you are concerned about getting better MPG, the Tundra shouldn't make the list.  Worst MPG of any full size truck.

I'm not saying Toyota doesn't make a good truck.  I just don't understand the love affair that some seem to have with them.  Oldest technology (both interior as well as mechanical) lowest power (when comparing top engines) and worst MPG.  And for that, you pay the highest price.  Maybe the Toyota is a good truck.  I just think there are better options out there.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I end up buying and selling a number of used cars.  Unless you know how the PO used and maintained the vehicle, I really don't think you can draw much of a conclusion comparing two used vehicles in terms of the OEM's QAQC.

One owner can baby a vehicle, and another can beat on it.  

If you are concerned about getting better MPG, the Tundra shouldn't make the list.  Worst MPG of any full size truck.

I'm not saying Toyota doesn't make a good truck.  I just don't understand the love affair that some seem to have with them.  Oldest technology (both interior as well as mechanical) lowest power (when comparing top engines) and worst MPG.  And for that, you pay the highest price.  Maybe the Toyota is a good truck.  I just think there are better options out there.

Couldn't agree more. After having an ecoboost and only doing regular oil changes and a set of tires And similar experiences with Chevy I don't see that the older tech is any more reliable. If you take care of your stuff it will last. There are always growing pains when a new engine or trans is introduced so stay away from the first year or two and you should be fine. Towing my t23 with extra lead in it I got over 9mpg and I don't drive with fuel economy in mind. The truck gets an easy 16-17 city and 20 ish highway and if you drive like grandma you can get 23-24. 

2 hours ago, Pra4sno said:

Thanks for the input!  How are you liking the truck?  2.7 or 3.5?

Love it. I have the 2.7 now but had a 14 with 5.0 before this. Definitely couldn’t see going back to non turbo. 

Let me first say I have no experience with Toyota.  I have had an F150 and a GmC 1500.   I liked my 1500 better than my f150 and fewer problem. 0 transmission problems to 2.   And Ford parts seem to wear out quicker.   I currently have a 2500 duramax.  It’s a great truck but I don’t think you are looking at diesel.  

Funny I saw this thread today as I was at a stop light and New black tundra pulled up next to me.  It did have some slight mods. Looked like a level and slightly bigger tires.  Based on looks alone I would buy that truck any day of the week over an f150, gmc, Chevy, or dodge.   

There are certainly other things to consider but man was that a nice looking truck. 

Appreciate all of the input from everyone.  I test drove another Tundra this morning, but this one had not been treated well and had scratches everywhere.  Still felt strong and well put together overall, but the gas mileage average was really, really bad.  The big backup screen was great, but nothing I couldn't do aftermarket (in a way I like more) on any other vehicle.  The Tundra looks  good, but my issue is that I'm not finding a good example of one out here thats in my price range.  I'm sure if I wasn't looking to buy soon a good one would float by eventually.  

I'm looking into the F150's much more heavily now than I was before.  Pricing, availability, and mileage are all much better on them and the 2.7 Eco was really snappy.  I am realizing from the "butt dyno" just how big of a difference forced induction has at the altitude we live and drive at here.  I went from the 5.0L to a 2.7Eco on a test drive and felt the small turbo motor pulled just as well.  In the mountains I would be willing to bet the 2.7 would walk on the Coyote.  

A friend recently picked up a Ram 1500.  Stellar deal for the amount of truck he got.  Looks and drives nice.  I'm not jumping to get one this round, but I can see where you Ram guys are coming from.  

Not going to do a diesel at this point.  Too many short trips, not enough towing, big sticker prices, wont fit in the garage, and just too overkill for my application.  

Edited by Pra4sno

If I were buying a 1500 today (in Colorado) with the purpose of mostly a DD, with occasional weekend towing of a boat, here is what I would do:

1. RAM EcoDiesel.  Adequate power to tow.  Phenomenal MPG when not towing, and the best MPG towing of any 1500.  All in a great package.

2.  RAM Hemi.  Tons of power.  Incredible exhaust note.  In the best interior/exterior package available (personal preference).

3.  Ford 2.7 EB.  A close 2nd to the RAM on interior.  Adequate power.  Pretty good MPG.

4.  Ford 3.5 EB.  See above.  With power at the expense of MPG.

5.  GM 6.2.  I have that engine in my Yukon.  Lots of power.  Decent MPG.  Interior amenities 2nd to only RAM and Ford.

6.  Titan.  With either the Cummins or their 5.6, you have great engine options.  I am ok with their exterior others are not.

You can see what that leaves as last.

hard to believe that the titan ranks above Toyota.

My.list would be

hemi ram

6.2 gm

Toyota

f150 with the 5.0

No interest in mini diesels, itty bitty ford turbo motors or nissans ugliest truck on the road(if you ever saw one)

I keep my trucks a long time and there is no way I'd keep an ecoboost out of warranty.

Edited by oldjeep
On 11/18/2017 at 11:03 AM, Pra4sno said:

Appreciate all of the input from everyone.  I test drove another Tundra this morning, but this one had not been treated well and had scratches everywhere.  Still felt strong and well put together overall, but the gas mileage average was really, really bad.  The big backup screen was great, but nothing I couldn't do aftermarket (in a way I like more) on any other vehicle.  The Tundra looks  good, but my issue is that I'm not finding a good example of one out here thats in my price range.  I'm sure if I wasn't looking to buy soon a good one would float by eventually.  

I'm looking into the F150's much more heavily now than I was before.  Pricing, availability, and mileage are all much better on them and the 2.7 Eco was really snappy.  I am realizing from the "butt dyno" just how big of a difference forced induction has at the altitude we live and drive at here.  I went from the 5.0L to a 2.7Eco on a test drive and felt the small turbo motor pulled just as well.  In the mountains I would be willing to bet the 2.7 would walk on the Coyote.  

A friend recently picked up a Ram 1500.  Stellar deal for the amount of truck he got.  Looks and drives nice.  I'm not jumping to get one this round, but I can see where you Ram guys are coming from.  

Not going to do a diesel at this point.  Too many short trips, not enough towing, big sticker prices, wont fit in the garage, and just too overkill for my application.  

That should tell you something about Tundras.