Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can you fix Chrome plating when it flakes/cracks off

hawaiianstyln

19 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

You lay/wrap that and then isnt their a resign and epoxy that goes over it with multiple layers?  

Maybe fancier install methods do but the product I'm using is just textured vinyl and it appears to be heavy duty.  One big thing to note, it's not like installing a decal on the door or window of your vehicle and fighting air bubbles.  It advertises air releasing technology and it truly does work, i've yet to fight an air bubble.  The hardest part is heating and stretching around corners and not burning my hands!!!

Steering wheel center cap done.  Glove box and toggle switch bezels tonight.

upE2zQM.jpg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Nice work!!!!!

Agreed.....I hope you post some pictures of the glove box. Are you planning to prep the surface of the glove box cover? If so, how?

1 hour ago, SDTony said:

Agreed.....I hope you post some pictures of the glove box. Are you planning to prep the surface of the glove box cover? If so, how?

I removed all the loose flaking chrome, filled in the horizontal grooves with JB Water weld and sanded it smooth, wiped it down a few times with rubbing alcohol.  That's it for prep.  I'm not going to waist the carbon vinyl on the back side, I plan to put regular black vinyl on there.  Pictures will come in the next day or 2.

Edited by Ndawg12
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2017 at 10:36 AM, Ndawg12 said:

I removed all the loose flaking chrome, filled in the horizontal grooves with JB Water weld and sanded it smooth, wiped it down a few times with rubbing alcohol.  That's it for prep.  I'm not going to waist the carbon vinyl on the back side, I plan to put regular black vinyl on there.  Pictures will come in the next day or 2.

Hey Ndawg, how did the glove box cover turn out? Any pics?

On 11/17/2017 at 0:59 PM, hawaiianstyln said:

speaking of that glove box @SDTony, I would LOVE to replace that thing.  it weighs like friggin 200 lbs.  I was trying to find a plastic or carbon fiber replacement for that glove box, but haven't found one yet.  I know people have complained about the weight on those before.

Back in the day, we were swapping the plastic for the aluminum. I think I sold my plastic one but will double check my boat pile.

• Like 1

Real carbon fiber needs resin and time to cure etc. It's like working with fiberglass. This stuff is just vinyl that looks like carbon weave and some of those look great. I need to do my glove box door!