Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can you fix Chrome plating when it flakes/cracks off

hawaiianstyln

Per my subject, can you fix the Chrome Plating that appears to be chipping and flaking off from the mounting plate of the throttle control?  I'm sure these throttles are probably like $500-$600 so replacing the entire thing might be crazy.  Although, my "Shift Lock" button at the base of the throttle won't push in anymore and not sure sure.  Took it all apart and still don't understand why it won't push in allowing me to rev without prop rotation.  Maybe, I'm headed towards that path of replacement, but I never really need the shift lockout button as I never need to rev the engine in neutral.

I had heard of a product called EZChrome I believe but it was $$$$$$

I took most of my chrome pieces and sent them to a friend of mine that does powdercoating, and had him do it in a candy red. 
But yes, you can have the pieces stripped and either powdercoated, or you can have it re-chromed.

I'm not a fan of chrome at all, so I do everything I can do make it go away. 

• Like 3

I'm interested in what other people have done too. My glove box cover is starting to flake. The chrome reflects like crazy in the sun, so maybe stripping and painting is the best bet.

That isn't a neutral button, it is a black cap.  If you want to rev in neutral you disconnect the wiring at the shift solonoid.

As for the "chrome". Pretty impossible to fix, as it is not chrome since the parts are all plastic.

• Like 1

speaking of that glove box @SDTony, I would LOVE to replace that thing.  it weighs like friggin 200 lbs.  I was trying to find a plastic or carbon fiber replacement for that glove box, but haven't found one yet.  I know people have complained about the weight on those before.

21 hours ago, ibelonginprison said:

I took most of my chrome pieces and sent them to a friend of mine that does powdercoating, and had him do it in a candy red. 
But yes, you can have the pieces stripped and either powdercoated, or you can have it re-chromed.

I'm not a fan of chrome at all, so I do everything I can do make it go away. 

Bead blasting and powder coating is the way I've done it.  Silver or black.  The more parts you have in a "run" the cheaper it is per part.  Just look for "powder coating" locally.

i think i will sand blast and powder coats it.  while im at it i will blast and powder coat the glove box and dash gauge cover as well.  i have a buddy that has several powder coating bays for his business and told me to blast them and bring them.  just need to take the throttle apart so there is no plastic or anything that could be harmed by a 400 degree bake temp

3 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

i think i will sand blast and powder coats it.  while im at it i will blast and powder coat the glove box and dash gauge cover as well.  i have a buddy that has several powder coating bays for his business and told me to blast them and bring them.  just need to take the throttle apart so there is no plastic or anything that could be harmed by a 400 degree bake temp

The whole throttle is plastic

5 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

You can't powder coat plastic, can you?  I had some emblems from my boat done, and I thought they said it had to be metal.

Edited by powbmps
On 11/17/2017 at 3:00 PM, Ndawg12 said:

What about carbon fiber vinyl wrapping?

i may have to go this route or Plastidip

Edited by hawaiianstyln

So what is the "chrome" on the throttle, dash bezzzle and steering wheel on a 2012 vintage?  I assume they are all plastic which means they can't be chromed. Looks like chrome. Peels like chrome. I also want to paint/powder coat/unchrome those pieces to reduce glare and bling. 

On 11/22/2017 at 1:54 PM, minnmarker said:

Sand paper, elbow grease, and good automotive paint?

Did that a few years ago, sanded, cleaned, 2 coats of auto primer, 4 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear.  Complete waste of time.  Looked decent for about half a season.

7 hours ago, isellacuras said:

So what is the "chrome" on the throttle, dash bezzzle and steering wheel on a 2012 vintage?  I assume they are all plastic which means they can't be chromed. Looks like chrome. Peels like chrome. I also want to paint/powder coat/unchrome those pieces to reduce glare and bling. 

I thought in 2008 they went from chrome plating pot metal to all polished stainless.  

Automotive paint worked great for me. I had to scuff with 240 SEM XXX adhesion promoter then all PPG Omni from then on(good middle of the road paint line).  High build primer sand smooth with 600- black base coat then high solids clear. Worked fine for 4 summers and a ton of time in the sun. About 800 hours + float time. The key is use decent materials no rattle cans. I did the glove box door also because the reflection was annoying. 

7 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

I thought in 2008 they went from chrome plating pot metal to all polished stainless.  

I dunno man. My shifter sure feels like plastic. Almost like an inside door handle on an old Camry. They where some sort of chrome sheet coating over plastic. 

On 11/23/2017 at 8:42 AM, isellacuras said:

Actually they can Chrome plate plastic. Several years ago I had a connection to a printed circuit board shop. They plated several different processes on the boards. One was to plate copper in an immersion process on the through holes of the circuit boards after the holes were drilled in the boards. This allowed the current to flow from one side of the board to the other. Then they would plate Tin/Lead on the board which is solder for the components. It would put a layer of copper on anything you put in the tank. After the Copper is on, you can electroplate it like any other metal. We plated golf balls, grasshoppers and all kinds of things. After copper we would put it in the Gold tank to flash a layer of Gold on it. Gold plated Grasshoppers!

Powdercoating is the way to go if you can blast all of the chrome off first.

I was watching some youtube videos the other day about carbon fiber wrapping.  Process seemed to take a while but maybe it was that certain carbon fiber product that required a lengthy process.  

26 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

I was watching some youtube videos the other day about carbon fiber wrapping.  Process seemed to take a while but maybe it was that certain carbon fiber product that required a lengthy process.  

This is what I bought, didn't think I could go wrong with a 3M product.  I bought 2 sheets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HWW6LW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1