Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blower.....Broken AGAIN

Went to the local I/O dealer and bought some generic made in China blower, which is probably made on the same street as the ATTWOOD tagged one for like $20.00. I did have to splice on the OEM ends, but so far so good 3 years.

I upgraded to a 4" blower and have been happy with it.  I had to put a PVC 4" to 3" adapter in to make it work but seems to blow a lot more air and has done great the last 3 years.

IME, the weakest and cheapest thing on the boat and not uncommon. Where mine sits I will occasionally get water in it from the vent.  It’s a wonder my first one lasted as long as it did. When you compare it to what a bilge pump goes through in its lifetime it is a very sad piece of equipment especially considering it is a safety device of sorts.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Could look at relocating it and putting a "drop" in the tubing where the water could make it in. Make a small hole in the bottom of the drop so that any water that makes it in drains.

IMHO too much trouble given the availability "for me", the price and the PITA it would be to relocate. Replacing one every couple of years is fine by me.

2 hours ago, wdr said:

IMHO too much trouble given the availability "for me", the price and the PITA it would be to relocate. Replacing one every couple of years is fine by me.

Mine is mounted vertical on the transom straight down from the vents, maybe water hitting the blades is what caused premature failure, anyone see a reason you couldn't mount it horizontal without kinking the vent hose?  it would still suck air from the engine bay.

Mine is mounted horizontal onto a plastic sleeve screwed into the back side of the vent. I also replaced the POS 4" dryer vent hose that Malibu uses with the corrugated down spout hose from the local Rural King. The corrugation allows it to be bent and stay in what ever crazy direction I needed and it doesn't get destroyed by incidental contact or weep rust stains everywhere!

Mine is an Attwood & mounted to the stringer under the engine..... and it's like 10 yrs old. Says it's water resistant. I bet I run the thing almost as many hours as the engine every year.

I've replaced a couple of them over the years on other boats. Never seen them go out regularly though.

On 11/16/2017 at 9:18 PM, Kblagg said:

I was working on my 25lsv tonight and noticed that the blower wouldn't turn on (despite the screen showing it was on).

Is it common for the blower to fail so soon?  My 25 is a 2016.

Strange last few times I was out my blower wasn't working had to open hatches to be safe.. while working in the boat I popped the deer panel and see the fuse is blown.. tried turning the blower fan and it was stiff as a rock locked up.. motor is shot..  140hrs on my boat.. never have I had a blower fail this quick.. strange others as well.. seems they are getting cheaper and cheaper..

Now the delima do I take in for warranty  3hr drive each way or just replace myself ha.. well I would butt... Need a screen replacement so it doesn't freeze up occasionally so will do all at once. 

On 11/17/2017 at 0:36 PM, wdr said:

Mine is mounted horizontal onto a plastic sleeve screwed into the back side of the vent. I also replaced the POS 4" dryer vent hose that Malibu uses with the corrugated down spout hose from the local Rural King. The corrugation allows it to be bent and stay in what ever crazy direction I needed and it doesn't get destroyed by incidental contact or weep rust stains everywhere!

Great idea!