Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 Winter Project Support Thread

JeffK

6 minutes ago, Kblagg said:

LOVE IT!!!!  Is it bolted or welded on?

Bolted.  I made the backing plate run up to the top of the winch and used the factory winch bolts.  They had plenty of length.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, robbennett said:

24551431078_b514c172fc_z.jpgIMG_6361_zpsmertmbks by Rob Bennett, on Flickr

38422251451_581c56f0e5_z.jpgIMG_6363_zps6k5dckc2 by Rob Bennett, on Flickr

24551431198_6300729e11_z.jpgIMG_6357_zpsd3o2aby1 by Rob Bennett, on Flickr

24551431208_5353324323_z.jpgIMG_6359_zps8ptvxwlm by Rob Bennett, on Flickr

24551431458_9d96ae77e0_z.jpgIMG_7724 by Rob Bennett, on Flickr

26646004729_4ac48775fb_z.jpgIMG_6356_zpsssekcwa3 by Rob Bennett, on Flickr

Ok turns out I was pasting the wrong link. Hope this helps 

I want to do this but with decadence on top. What yellow product did you use to finish the fiberglass?  That's what I can't decide on. 

@Gavin17 I used Monstaliner truck bed liner. It is a urethane coating that is thick lick gelcoat. It rolls on so no worries about overspray. I used PPG Omni epoxy primer under it. I also rolled the primer. 

The bed liner was really nice and held up amazing. It mixes with a hardener so no worries about it dissolving if you get gasoline or any other harsh chemicals on it. It was kinda hard to cover up the bedliner with the seadek it came out so good! 

I will say you will probably want to wrap the aluminum piece that goes over the fuel tank with seadek sheet material. It is crudely cut and I screwed 3/8" of plastic around the perimeter of it to fill in some of the space where carpet used to be. I did the same with the bilge access hatch except used seadek instead of the plastic around the edges. The good news if you want to do deckadence the aluminum piece will sit flush with the floor if you put seadek on it. If you don't it will be a low spot in the floor. 

18 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

over inflate the tires?  Maybe I haven't heard of this one.

Yes, I up them to 65 for the cold winter lay-up.  Not sure if it actually helps, but I recently replaced perfectly good looking 28 year old camper tires.  Armstrong (NLA) was the brand.

13 hours ago, Wakesetter67 said:

Ya but you will still have a list.. Tinted window, Check.. Gatorstep flooring, Exile Tower speakers, Ok thats about it! 

How did you know? If we end up getting a new boat, I would love to tint the windshield. I am wanting to get the tan Gator Step on the floor and the "deck track" which Axis does not offer from what I have seen. We will also need to figure how to tune the stereo to our liking. I have heard they do not come tuned well from the factory.

What else needs to be done to a new boat?

ahopkins22LSV
51 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

Yes, I up them to 65 for the cold winter lay-up.  Not sure if it actually helps, but I recently replaced perfectly good looking 28 year old camper tires.  Armstrong (NLA) was the brand.

Is that all you do? and what surface is it sitting on? 

1 hour ago, electricjohn said:

I hadn't heard of that before, but looked and saw a lot of people do this for car winter layup.  Is this because we assume they will lose air over the winter or is there something else?

2 hours ago, CBray4 said:

How did you know? If we end up getting a new boat, I would love to tint the windshield. I am wanting to get the tan Gator Step on the floor and the "deck track" which Axis does not offer from what I have seen. We will also need to figure how to tune the stereo to our liking. I have heard they do not come tuned well from the factory.

What else needs to be done to a new boat?

Head unit upgrade. I think the stock axis one is garbage. Im getting the new wetsounds one when it releases. 

1 hour ago, JeffK said:

I hadn't heard of that before, but looked and saw a lot of people do this for car winter layup.  Is this because we assume they will lose air over the winter or is there something else?

I think it's so the tires don't have a "flat spot" where they are sitting on a hard surface.  Over-inflation keeps them more rounded while sitting for a long period under the weight of the boat.

1 minute ago, Sixer said:

I think it's so the tires don't have a "flat spot" where they are sitting on a hard surface.  Over-inflation keeps them more rounded while sitting for a long period under the weight of the boat.

Flat spotting is a bias ply tire issue, not a problem with radials.  I guess over inflating the tires 15 psi over max sidewall pressure won't hurt them as long as they are not driven on, but not sure what the benefit would really be unless your tires lose a lot of air over the winter and you are worried about sidewall damage from a flat tire. (Mine get put away at 50 psi and come back out with 45-50 psi 6 months later)

4 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Flat spotting is a bias ply tire issue, not a problem with radials.  I guess over inflating the tires 15 psi over max sidewall pressure won't hurt them as long as they are not driven on, but not sure what the benefit would really be unless your tires lose a lot of air over the winter and you are worried about sidewall damage from a flat tire. (Mine get put away at 50 psi and come back out with 45-50 psi 6 months later)

That's what I've seen as well.  Mine don't tend to lose much air, especially in a climate controlled garage.  I could see jacking them up once a month and spinning them a little, but even that feels like overkill.  I think the recommendation was to go to max load, not past that. 

But, I see where lots of car guys recommend doing it for their toys that they are laying up for winter.  I've never done this and have never had issues with tires before.  I think it is more important to keep them out of direct sunlight and apply a liberal coating of 303.

29 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

Head unit upgrade. I think the stock axis one is garbage. Im getting the new wetsounds one when it releases. 

I haven't messed with the stock head unit yet. Not sure if I will like it or not. 

What do you not like about it? 

I agree with @agarabaghi, I'm interested in seeing how it fits

hes mentioned the lag when raising and lowering vol. which ive noticed. not sure i careenough to mess with a brand newstock system that pretty good also the wetsounds is $600

2 minutes ago, JeffK said:

That's what I've seen as well.  Mine don't tend to lose much air, especially in a climate controlled garage.  I could see jacking them up once a month and spinning them a little, but even that feels like overkill.  I think the recommendation was to go to max load, not past that. 

But, I see where lots of car guys recommend doing it for their toys that they are laying up for winter.  I've never done this and have never had issues with tires before.  I think it is more important to keep them out of direct sunlight and apply a liberal coating of 303.

why not putting the trailer on blocks? or cheap hydraulic jacks even if they fail they will slowly lower 1" or so

21 minutes ago, JeffK said:

The difference on car tires is that you don't typically have them inflated to max sidewall pressure for normal use (typical car is 32 psi with a max 44psi tire).  The sunlight thing is a big one, I don't think having them sitting in the grass/snow is particularly great for them either - always noticed a lot of discoloration on my car trailer tires that sat outside in the snow all winter.

27 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

hes mentioned the lag when raising and lowering vol. which ive noticed. not sure i careenough to mess with a brand newstock system that pretty good also the wetsounds is $600

Mainly this. The bluetooth is not very good either, IMO. There is a huge difference between usb and bluetooth when playing audio. Im also going to move the usb over to the right side of steering wheel. I dont quite understand why its in the glove box. 

12 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

Mainly this. The bluetooth is not very good either, IMO. There is a huge difference between usb and bluetooth when playing audio. Im also going to move the usb over to the right side of steering wheel. I dont quite understand why its in the glove box. 

Explain what the problem is to me. Honestly I have not been on an Axis so I don't know anything about them, other than I want one! haha