Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 Winter Project Support Thread

JeffK

I looked and didn't see a winter layup project thread anywhere, so figured I'd get the ball rolling on one.  Let this be the place to offer up support, suggestions, encouragement and guidance if you've tackled it before.  Pictures are always fun, so don't be stingy!

• Like 2
  • Fix a trailer light
  • Pull the amp board and clean it up - cables and fix the mounting points
  • Shorten the ballast hoses for the PNP - kinked due to length
  • Run new RCA's for the cabin speakers - hiss present - bypassed Wetsounds zone controller for now
  • Potentially add an isolator and remove perko switch
  • Evaluate a battery tender/onboard charger
  • Potentially run heater hoses over to port side of the boat or just add a second long hose on stbd side (likely solution)
1 hour ago, JeffK said:

I looked and didn't see a winter layup project thread anywhere, so figured I'd get the ball rolling on one.  Let this be the place to offer up support, suggestions, encouragement and guidance if you've tackled it before.  Pictures are always fun, so don't be stingy!

Probably going with heated observers seat and bow speakers.

9 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Probably going with heated observers seat and bow speakers.

Heated observer seat?  How do you plan to do that?  Just the seat back or planning to somehow get the seat base?

Just now, JeffK said:

Heated observer seat?  How do you plan to do that?  Just the seat back or planning to somehow get the seat base?

See the thread above.  Lots of automotive solutions!

3 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

See the thread above.  Lots of automotive solutions!

I was wondering about the observer seat base which can be lifted and pulled away.  I'd think that wire is just asking to be ripped or yanked out.  I can understand the driver seat, but the observer seat threw me.

1 minute ago, JeffK said:

I was wondering about the observer seat base which can be lifted and pulled away.  I'd think that wire is just asking to be ripped or yanked out.  I can understand the driver seat, but the observer seat threw me.

Planning on a disconnect something like this.  https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Disconnect-Connect-Polarized-Harness/dp/B00JZR5QNK/

Just (Tony's Tonic) wash, wax, clean and protect the interior, and overinflate the tires.  Motor is drained and fogged already.  Same for my 1970.

The fenders on my trailer are starting to get pretty beat up.... faded & some rust bubbling up the paint. So over the weekend I pulled them off the trailer & got them sanded for paint. Then I got to talking to one of the guys on the MTFU FB group, who manages a shop here in town that does sandblasting & powdercoat. I'm going to take them in later today & see what he can do for me.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

The fenders on my trailer are starting to get pretty beat up.... faded & some rust bubbling up the paint. So over the weekend I pulled them off the trailer & got them sanded for paint. Then I got to talking to one of the guys on the MTFU FB group, who manages a shop here in town that does sandblasting & powdercoat. I'm going to take them in later today & see what he can do for me.

Were they color matched to the frame before or offset in color?  You could have some fun dressing it up.

4 hours ago, JeffK said:

Were they color matched to the frame before or offset in color?  You could have some fun dressing it up.

Yea, I thought about doing something crazy, but I can get black PC done for next to nothing & some crazy color would cost me a few hundred bucks. I'd be happy with not rusty. The rest of the trailer looks great. In fact, the trailer has almost anything you guys have dreamed up over the years, short of LEDs, so it doesn't need much.

1 hour ago, Rceider said:

I have a list that keeps growing! Here’s my bow step I fabed up out of 1/4 steel.  I just need a piece of seadek on it. 

24545884498_3d62ce6097_b.jpg

Umm. I love this idea. I'll be "borrowing" it. Thanks

Jason

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:20 AM, electricjohn said:

Just (Tony's Tonic) wash, wax, clean and protect the interior, and overinflate the tires.  Motor is drained and fogged already.  Same for my 1970.

over inflate the tires?  Maybe I haven't heard of this one.

For me,

1. Sea Strainer (completed 2 weeks ago)
  2. 4" Seat Riser (ebay)
  3. LED Lights mounted behind the mesh rear engine vents
  4. LED underneath the helm since there was no light shining down at that location
  5. Replacing two back hatch foam and upholstery as I can't get rid of the mildew stain that always happens when the cover sits on it for a week (a known problem). 
  6. New upholstery repair for back 3 cushions
  7. Adding a second color in my bimini with design (white) as the all red bimini is just boring to me. 
  8. Replacing shower pump, it died.
  9. Already have a Heater
  10. Sponsored by Exile Audio so I don't need anything in that department.
  11. Sponsored by SquareOne so I don't need any Ronix/Radar gear or product.
  12. Would love to SeaDeck my floors but it just seems like a PITA to pull the carpet and glue.  Maybe it's not that bad?
  13. Light wetsand/compound/polish/wax in the spring and add the 2016 WakeSetter lettering
  14. I need more ideas

And I'm constantly searching for more things to do on this thread so I welcome these community winter upgrade posts.  By the way, what is "FAE" that people keep referring to on the upgrade posts??

3 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

For me,

1. Sea Strainer (completed 2 weeks ago)
  2. 4" Seat Riser (ebay)
  3. LED Lights mounted behind the mesh rear engine vents
  4. LED underneath the helm since there was no light shining down at that location
  5. Replacing two back hatch foam and upholstery as I can't get rid of the mildew stain that always happens when the cover sits on it for a week (a known problem). 
  6. New upholstery repair for back 3 cushions
  7. Adding a second color in my bimini with design (white) as the all red bimini is just boring to me. 
  8. Replacing shower pump, it died.
  9. Already have a Heater
  10. Sponsored by Exile Audio so I don't need anything in that department.
  11. Sponsored by SquareOne so I don't need any Ronix/Radar gear or product.
  12. Would love to SeaDeck my floors but it just seems like a PITA to pull the carpet and glue.  Maybe it's not that bad?
  13. Light wetsand/compound/polish/wax in the spring and add the 2016 WakeSetter lettering
  14. I need more ideas

And I'm constantly searching for more things to do on this thread so I welcome these community winter upgrade posts.  By the way, what is "FAE" that people keep referring to on the upgrade posts??

Do the Seadek! I did it on my 06 and it was the best upgrade I did by far. There is way too much carpet in your boat and you will enjoy how easy to dry out the interior will be. I just did seadek on the interior and left the compartments raw Monstaliner. The vdrive lockers you can easily make raw plastic again.  That project was a big part of what helped maintain the value of my old boat also. I would have likely gotten 2-3k less with the old grungy carpet. 

• Like 1

twisting my arm is very easy.  lol

I really need to do this.  Hate to ask, but about what is the price to do the floors in sea decks on our boat models/year?  How hard was it to pull the carpet and the glue, lots of scraping/sanding?  I like to always do my own work but sometimes I wonder if that project is for someone to pay and finish, maybe not?

26 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

twisting my arm is very easy.  lol

I really need to do this.  Hate to ask, but about what is the price to do the floors in sea decks on our boat models/year?  How hard was it to pull the carpet and the glue, lots of scraping/sanding?  I like to always do my own work but sometimes I wonder if that project is for someone to pay and finish, maybe not?

I did mine well under $500 but I did all of the work myself and used sheet material instead of having templates cut. I cut and routed out the edges myself but many people just do full sheets rather than have the channels between it. 

The aluminum piece over the gas tank I just flipped over and wrapped in seadek instead of scraping the glue off. The plastic panels in the lockers I sprayed a liberal coat of wd-40 on and power washed it off - extremely easy no scraping. I did the same thing with the back side of the seat bases but left the carpet on the outside of them. This is great for areas you don't need anything to stick to. 

The main floor in the boat I wore a good mask and used acetone to loosen up the glue and scraped away. This is the worst part but a couple days of scraping and taking breaks and it isn't too bad. A slower evaporating solvent would have made my life easier and you can put a trash bag over the area you sprayed your solvent  to get it to evaporate slower. I didn't want to use anything with oil in it because I didn't want to compromise the adhesion of the bedliner. 

The results were on a thread before photobucket ruined it. I may be able to dig up some photos of the finished product. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, robbennett said:

The results were on a thread before photobucket ruined it. I may be able to dig up some photos of the finished product. 

wow, yes I would love to see them.  PhotoBucket really ruined a lot of attempted ideas wishing I could see those pics.

24551431078_b514c172fc_z.jpgIMG_6361_zpsmertmbks by Rob Bennett, on Flickr

38422251451_581c56f0e5_z.jpgIMG_6363_zps6k5dckc2 by Rob Bennett, on Flickr

24551431198_6300729e11_z.jpgIMG_6357_zpsd3o2aby1 by Rob Bennett, on Flickr

24551431208_5353324323_z.jpgIMG_6359_zps8ptvxwlm by Rob Bennett, on Flickr

24551431458_9d96ae77e0_z.jpgIMG_7724 by Rob Bennett, on Flickr

26646004729_4ac48775fb_z.jpgIMG_6356_zpsssekcwa3 by Rob Bennett, on Flickr

Ok turns out I was pasting the wrong link. Hope this helps 

38 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

wow, yes I would love to see them.  PhotoBucket really ruined a lot of attempted ideas wishing I could see those pics.