Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Talk-About Radios, Who uses them?

Big Dubya

Two-way radios on the water  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have/use two-way (Talk-About) radios?

• Yes, we use them
    • We have them, but don't use them
    • Don't have them
    • What are you talking-about?

I have some nice Motorolla GMRS radios. They have the built in weather alert feature. We used to use them alot when we would run with two boats for the whole family. However now that we have the LSV we all pile on it.

We use them sometimes in the mall, but that is like once a year.

Similar to others. We generally use cell phones where there is good coverage. Use the FRS for : weeklong boating trip with many families (each family has their own frequency so you can 'call' just their number), snow skiing, Disneyland.

Haven't used them as much lately as cell coverage continues to fill in coverage gaps.

I have the costco hand held... theyre pretty much only good if theyre are in the line of site... if in a cove forget it .... have a buddy that went with us on a few trips with a marine radios (couple hand held and one in the moho) one trip at Powell... they worked good to comunicate over fair distances , another trip to San Antonio his boat was hit by a jet ski ... he radioed back to the moho ( miles away ) and we came and got the kids while dealt with it

I thought it was against FCC regs to communicate with anyone on land with a marine radio (except for local authorities or Coast Guard). Also, do you need a license to use the marine radios? I think that's why so many people use the family service radios, since there is no license required to use them.

I use a marine VHF on my houseboat. There is no liscense required to use it. All of the houseboats and the marina have them on our lake, as well as on the neighboring lake.

I like the marine VHF for on the water use. However we have the little Motorolas for road trips and the kids love them if there are more than just us out on the water.

I use them for hunting and camping. If my son wants to go play out of site, I make him take one. I really like the ones I got. They say they are good for 5 miles, but if it is a clear line of site, I've actually communicated on them over a 10 mile distance.