Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97 sunsetter steering issues

Kyle513

Hi my buddy has a 97 sunsetter lx. His steering wheel is very hard to turn. We took off his steering cable to the rudder and the steering wheel is still hard to turn. Does the steering cable need replaced? And his rudder has play in it when you wiggle it under the boat but turns freely. How much play should it have? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replace the cable, and it should be fine.  It's not even that hard, tape the new cable to the old and pull through.  I've had slight play in my rudder on my '97 Tantrum (about 1/2", maybe a little less) and have no issues.  Yes there shouldn't be much play and you can either replace the rudder assembly, but it's up to you whether you want to spend the money, the steering cable is the issue. 

2 hours ago, Woodski said:

@Kyle513:  You can try lubing the cable with some ATF poured down the disconnected end to see if that frees it up, if not replace.

Never heard of this - which end do you use, how much can you get in, and how long does it help?

I tried to lube mine and couldn't get it to work...spent a fair amount of time doing that and ended up replacing the cable and wishing I had done it earlier.  Smooth as butter.