Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

sierra mia?

i've been using sierra type (propylene glycol) antifreeze in the heater and shower for years but just for the final lay-up.

i don't use much so i't been a while since i've purchased any.

i can't find it locally and it's all but mia on amazon.  

what happened?  where are you finding it?

17 minutes ago, MLA said:

I dont find an RV/Marine Sierra anti-freeze. Just an engine coolant.

Sierra is a propylene glycol engine coolant like anything you should be winterizing with.  Most Marine/RV stuff is for toilets not engines, you want something that specifies that it is for engine protection.  The Sierra used to be a big deal with offroad/atv crowd because it is marginally more eco-friendly when you dump it all over the ground.

4 hours ago, tvano said:

i've been using sierra type (propylene glycol) antifreeze in the heater and shower for years but just for the final lay-up.

where are you finding it?

Just make sure you don't get the alcohol based antifreeze (cheap stuff).  The propylene glycol stuff costs about $.75 more per gallon.  Brand name doesn't matter  Look up the SDS on line (e.g. Home Depot) if in doubt.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Sierra is a propylene glycol engine coolant

We agree on this

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

like anything you should be winterizing with.

But not this. Engine coolant is not meant for winterizing marine and RV water system. 

Unless I am misreading the OP's comments, he is looking to winterize a heater core and shower for winter layup. Im not reading that he's looking for an engine coolant to top off his closed-cooling engine block.

7 minutes ago, MLA said:

We agree on this

But not this. Engine coolant is not meant for winterizing marine and RV water system. 

Unless I am misreading the OP's comments, he is looking to winterize a heater core and shower for winter layup. Im not reading that he's looking for an engine coolant to top off his closed-cooling engine block.

yes, and proper winterizing of a boat engine uses a propelyne glycol based antifreeze.  Not the alcohol based stuff used for rv and boat toilets.  

Example - this is for toilets (Glycol/Alcohol) and it says specifically that it is not for engines

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seafit---50-f-marine-rv-water-system-glycol-alcohol-antifreeze-gal--14823330?recordNum=1

This is for protecting your engine

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine---50-f-engine-water-system-antifreeze-gal--499848?recordNum=4

Edited by oldjeep

thanks all for the feedback.

i use less than a pint of sierra(like) when i winterize so i really don't want 6 gallons of it.

i was having little luck finding it or an equivalent and wondered if it was disappearing from the shelves for a reason.

i didn't realize that the sta-bil branded was equivalent.

i'll chase it some more.

thanks again.

1 hour ago, tvano said:

thanks all for the feedback.

i use less than a pint of sierra(like) when i winterize so i really don't want 6 gallons of it.

i was having little luck finding it or an equivalent and wondered if it was disappearing from the shelves for a reason.

i didn't realize that the sta-bil branded was equivalent.

i'll chase it some more.

thanks again.

Less than a pint?!

9 hours ago, formulaben said:

Less than a pint?!

i run sierra into the shower and use the shower output to push fluid into the heater.

after they are full i pull the shower input and suck air using that (positive displacement) shower pump to suck the antifreeze back out. 

what is left may be a bit more than a pint; i've never really cared to measure.  pint was just a wag. 

i don't see any reason to leave the system full. 

@MLA:  components, the shower pumps are what the RV industry uses to pump the toilet water & the heater cores for you boat heater are a modified automotive item.  Simply an indication of what type of antifreeze may offer the best results for long term storage.