Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winter maintenance recommendations

2017vlxpanda

First winter with our 2017 Bu. The boat will be in our a garage storage all winter long. I live in the California Central Valley so winter temps at most dip to Mid 30's on the coldest nights but inside the garage, it is much warmer. 

Question regarding what end of year maintenance should be done before storing the boat in the winter so that the boat is ready to go when the temperatures warm up in the spring. 

What if any solution to keep the trailer tires from developing flat spots after a prolonged sitting period?

Thank you in advance. 

Just do the standard maint that is in the book.  Drain all the water out of the raw water system, change the oil and do whatever else is in your manual based on hours.  Flat spots don't happen with radial tires, that only happens with bias tires.

• Like 2

well you probably don't need to winterize your boat, but despite your weather patterns I would not take a chance with the price of these boats today.  Mine is in my heated garage and the garage is connected to the house and I still dropped all of the water in the hoses/manifold/risers/heater Core, etc...  Do you plan on doing that or no?  If not then certainly change your impeller/Oil depending on how many hours you put on the boat this summer?

Flat spot concerns on the tires, hmmm interesting question but I've never had any issues with flat spots storing a boat over the winter and I'm in MI where the winters are much longer than yours.

Edited by hawaiianstyln
  • Like 1

Get a dry suit or a Camaro and play all year long! Better for the boat and your body too! My boat was in a insulated garage here in W WA and even when 10-20 degrees outside the garage never went below 40. I keep a big thermometer out in the garage that I can glance at for mental health reasons when it's cold out.

On 11/8/2017 at 3:55 PM, Rednucleus said:

Get a dry suit or a Camaro and play all year long! Better for the boat and your body too! My boat was in a insulated garage here in W WA and even when 10-20 degrees outside the garage never went below 40. I keep a big thermometer out in the garage that I can glance at for mental health reasons when it's cold out.

:plus1: If I lived in an area that the water didn't get hard and had a heated garage my boat would be ready to go at a hart beat. Dry suit and you will enjoy some of the best water sport time!  Many people use the 100 point rule. If air and water temp make 100 points together its good to go. With just a little prep you could go below easy.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sixball said:

:plus1: If I lived in an area that the water didn't get hard and had a heated garage my boat would be ready to go at a hart beat. Dry suit and you will enjoy some of the best water sport time!  Many people use the 100 point rule. If air and water temp make 100 points together its good to go. With just a little prep you could go below easy.

Even as a bunch of Old Guys our group will even go for a 70 point rule if the post ski food & drinks are available!

Edited by Rednucleus
  • Like 3

I know I have gone down into the low 80's may be hi 70's but its been a while. And yeper the best ski bud of mine is the oldest in our group and I am not far behind. We talk each other into some very early and late ski outing each year. His was the last boat in this year and often is. He has a nice heated shop to go to in a last ditch pull out.  The best skiing is early and late year.