Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf boards

Bman1

9 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

For surf style.. Doomswell Nubstep. Fast agile board

For skim style... Victoria. Fast and slippery.

My response would be very similar.... great choices. You could also look at Phase 5 Danielo Diamond or Hammerhead for skim, Soulcraft makes great surf style boards along with Doomswell.

This thread will be worthless without a lot of detail. 

Height

Weight

Surf or skim

Personal riding style: aggressive, laid back.. Etc 

Favorite trick

Wave size

Wave shape

How many seasons of surfing 

Fin setup

...... Etc 

Edited by vanamp
6 minutes ago, vanamp said:

This thread will be worthless without a lot of detail. 

Height

Weight

Surf or skim

Personal riding style: aggressive, laid back.. Etc 

Favorite trick

Wave size

Wave shape

How many seasons of surfing 

Fin setup

...... Etc 

OK my son is 5'8 and growing about 110lbs. He just really got into surfing this year. He is trying to do anything cool, get air, tricks you name it. 

I'm just a big old guy that likes to ride. 

15 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

My response would be very similar.... great choices. You could also look at Phase 5 Danielo Diamond or Hammerhead for skim, Soulcraft makes great surf style boards along with Doomswell.

I do want to try that Phase 5 out... always willing to demo other boards :) 

• Like 2

I'm an old fat guy and love my soulcraft voodoo. Like others have said, call Jeff and tell him your size, wave size and capabilities and he will make one that is the righ size and shape. It really changes surfing when you get a board that "fits" you. I also ride a Victoria captain for my skim style board. 

Everyone I work with loves the Hyperlite Buzz. None of us are pro surfers, just recreational. My brother has  P5 Hammerhead, loves it. We bought a Hyperlite Hi-Fi, and it is our favorite board by far. It responds quickly, aggressive edges, and easy to do tricks on. 

P5 Hammerhead, we find difficult to get used to. Extremely squirrely, edges don't quite "grab" the water or respond as fast as the Hi-Fi IMO. 

For the Hi-Fi, riders range from 5' 7" 140lbs, to 6' 2" 200 lbs. We have several people use the board, works well for all of us. 

There are crazy good deals on closeout boards at boat shows/end of year sales. If you pay $1000 for a custom made board, I feel bad for you. Just demo an existing board, if you are so good at surfing that you need a custom board costing a whole stack then come give me some lessons - I need em!

45 minutes ago, AndySC said:

If you pay $1000 for a custom made board, I feel bad for you. Just demo an existing board, if you are so good at surfing that you need a custom board costing a whole stack then come give me some lessons - I need em!

Why would you feel bad for someone who pays $1000 for a custom board?  I could see feeling bad if it was a board they didn't like.  I ended out getting a custom board as a result of taking a lesson, where I got the same advice isellacuras mentioned, which was to get in touch with a builder, where I could talk about the my size, my wave size, etc.. and had a board made based on that criteria.

I get what you're saying, as a grand is a lot to drop on a board, and it wasn't something I did right away, or without giving it some thought.  When I finally did get my board, it arrived with a carrying cover, and full set of fins, and I opted for custom graphics, it really didn't seem much more than if I got one of the name brand boards.

And given what we pay for these boats... LOL

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting how anyone should spend their money... but for me, and how much fun I have on that board... I wish I had got it sooner.

ohhh.. and I still need more lessons!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, AndySC said:

Everyone I work with loves the Hyperlite Buzz. None of us are pro surfers, just recreational. My brother has  P5 Hammerhead, loves it. We bought a Hyperlite Hi-Fi, and it is our favorite board by far. It responds quickly, aggressive edges, and easy to do tricks on. 

P5 Hammerhead, we find difficult to get used to. Extremely squirrely, edges don't quite "grab" the water or respond as fast as the Hi-Fi IMO. 

For the Hi-Fi, riders range from 5' 7" 140lbs, to 6' 2" 200 lbs. We have several people use the board, works well for all of us. 

There are crazy good deals on closeout boards at boat shows/end of year sales. If you pay $1000 for a custom made board, I feel bad for you. Just demo an existing board, if you are so good at surfing that you need a custom board costing a whole stack then come give me some lessons - I need em!

You are comparing a surf style board with a skim style board and that is not a comparison... they are totally different style of boards... 

Compare you Hi-Fi with a surf style board

I spent more on 3 pop out boards than my DoomsWell... I will admit that the first one was great buy and great to learn on but the other two were blown money (being turned into a bench now). Once you get your technique down, you will love the control that the premium boards offer. I still keep my hyperlite available for the beginners. One person in my crew hated my DoomsWell and would only ride the hyperlite. As she progressed she will no longer ride the Hyperlite and only my DoomsWell... 

If it takes 3 purchases of 250.00 boards... I feel bad for you... If you get one on the first try... you just saved yourself time and money... 

On 11/7/2017 at 7:56 PM, Bman1 said:

OK my son is 5'8 and growing about 110lbs. He just really got into surfing this year. He is trying to do anything cool, get air, tricks you name it. 

I'm just a big old guy that likes to ride. 

Hey @Bman1,

I think a few more questions might help the folks on here give you some more advice, here's what I would suggest addressing:

1. - Are you and your song going to try and ride the same board? Or are you getting one for him and one for you?

2. - What is your budget? (If you're getting two boards, break it out. How much for your son and how much for you)

[These questions will be for a board only for your son]

3. - What style does he like to ride, surf or skim? If he's unsure, ask him what style of tricks he finds the coolest. Show him some videos of pros on a skim (shuvits, lots of spins) and on a surfer (big airs, sprays, bottom turns).

4. - How long do you want him to ride this board? Is it a forever board? Or just a "until he gets a little bigger/better" board?

[This question will be for a board only for you]

5. - I know you said you're just a big old guy that likes to ride, but are you cool with that? Or, if you had the opportunity to learn 360s and the like, would you go for it? (This will help others determine how aggressive of a board to suggest for you).

Based on only the knowledge we have so far here would be our initial suggestions:

Your son:

Surf style - Doomswell Neo. It's high performing minus the cost of a true custom board, it lands somewhere in the upper $700 range. For a size, I would suggest 4'6" if you think your son will max out at less than 6'1" (ish) and 190lbs. Maybe a 4'8" if you think he'll get bigger than that. I personally ride a 4'8" and am 6'2" 180lbs and love it.

Skim style - Hyperlite Hi-Fi. It's a pretty good skim shape and also allows for 3 fins if he doesn't like the loose feeling of only one fin at first. You can usually find one on sale for lower to mid $500s.

You:

Surf style - Doomswell Spark Plug. It's beginner to intermediate friendly and a board you most likely won't out progress. MSRP $650(ish)

Skim Style - Probably the Hyperlite Hi-Fi as well for the same reasons we mentioned above.

We'd also like to throw out a wildcard. If you need a "boat board" that's capable of airs, 360's, or just standing and cruising, we'd suggest the Inland Surfer Tako. It's a compression molded board so it's a little more rigid and forgiving when it gets tossed around the boat. Best of all, they're relatively inexpensive - usually around mid $300s.

Hope some of that helps!

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, WakesurfMedia said:

Hey @Bman1,

I think a few more questions might help the folks on here give you some more advice, here's what I would suggest addressing:

1. - Are you and your song going to try and ride the same board? Or are you getting one for him and one for you?

2. - What is your budget? (If you're getting two boards, break it out. How much for your son and how much for you)

[These questions will be for a board only for your son]

3. - What style does he like to ride, surf or skim? If he's unsure, ask him what style of tricks he finds the coolest. Show him some videos of pros on a skim (shuvits, lots of spins) and on a surfer (big airs, sprays, bottom turns).

4. - How long do you want him to ride this board? Is it a forever board? Or just a "until he gets a little bigger/better" board?

[This question will be for a board only for you]

5. - I know you said you're just a big old guy that likes to ride, but are you cool with that? Or, if you had the opportunity to learn 360s and the like, would you go for it? (This will help others determine how aggressive of a board to suggest for you).

Based on only the knowledge we have so far here would be our initial suggestions:

Your son:

Surf style - Doomswell Neo. It's high performing minus the cost of a true custom board, it lands somewhere in the upper $700 range. For a size, I would suggest 4'6" if you think your son will max out at less than 6'1" (ish) and 190lbs. Maybe a 4'8" if you think he'll get bigger than that. I personally ride a 4'8" and am 6'2" 180lbs and love it.

Skim style - Hyperlite Hi-Fi. It's a pretty good skim shape and also allows for 3 fins if he doesn't like the loose feeling of only one fin at first. You can usually find one on sale for lower to mid $500s.

You:

Surf style - Doomswell Spark Plug. It's beginner to intermediate friendly and a board you most likely won't out progress. MSRP $650(ish)

Skim Style - Probably the Hyperlite Hi-Fi as well for the same reasons we mentioned above.

We'd also like to throw out a wildcard. If you need a "boat board" that's capable of airs, 360's, or just standing and cruising, we'd suggest the Inland Surfer Tako. It's a compression molded board so it's a little more rigid and forgiving when it gets tossed around the boat. Best of all, they're relatively inexpensive - usually around mid $300s.

Hope some of that helps!

El Jeffe is another choice for the laid back rider.

For son... If a mixture of skim and surf style.. The Nubstep... It is the board of my choice.... 

Your questions to ask are very valid as well :cheers: but I would also ask if beginner, intermediate, or advance rider...  I would recommend a pop out board for a beginner and wait till they progressed for a Doomswell, SoulCraft, TukTuk, ShredStix, etc.

Edited by kerpluxal
6 hours ago, IdahoAxis said:

For those on Victorias- Can you share your thoughts on Factor vs Agent? Is the Factor more "loose"?

I have the agent and it’s the “skimiest” board I have ridden, very loose, little rocker. It’s a decent board, I tend to spin way too fast on it and it lacks in pop. 

From what I’ve heard the factor is more high performing oriented, maybe a little more pop and paster rails. 

The board that I would recommend for your son would be the liquid force to skim. It’s a very nice riding board, that can easily be broken loose for airs and 360s. This is fine by having the single fun along with rails, built into the tail of the board. 

From what I’ve found smaller riders love this board, bigger riders need a little more wave (or a larger size).   The small or the medium (52”) would be perfect. Personally I prefer it way more than the Victoria agent.

ill say this, everyone is suggesting these custom boards that are $$$$. Just judging by your son, he’s no pro surfer. So I would say start out with a board that can do it all, without lacking performance, like the tc skim.

Edited by Cole2001

Sounds like any of the above big shop boards will work for the level you guys are at. Spend one season and go from there, step up to the customs once you have the basics down. Then resell the older boards or keep them as boat boards. Sometimes going to custom right off the bat can stunt your progression alittle because they ride a lot different.

We love our slingshot cobra cat xr and was thinking about getting the butter bar xr. What other skim recommendations do you have? I’m 6ft 205 lbs. 

On 11/16/2017 at 4:11 AM, sChamblee said:

I really like my slingshot butterbar

Edited by Dfowkes

I am giving one of my current boards to the purchaser of our boat.  We currently have an Inland surfer Black Pearl, Soulcraft Jetty, Hyperlite broadcast, and Inland Surfer Tako.  I am thinking of giving him the Tako as most of my crew found the Tako wasn't as comfortable as the broadcast.  The broadcast is slow though, and heavy, but it was easiest for new riders to start on.  The Black Pearl is a good skim, fast and light, but definitely fragile.  The Soulcraft is very, very fragile.  I personally can't ride it, but my son and nephew ride the hell out of it.  For some reason it always tosses me off the back side.  I am looking at replacing whatever I give him, and am considering the Hyperlite Shim, Hyperlite Time Machine, and Ronix Blender.  Those are all in stock at my dealer, and he will let me buy for cost since I bought the LSV this week.  Any thoughts on those 3 boards? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 11:10 AM, guitarcrazy said:

I am giving one of my current boards to the purchaser of our boat.  We currently have an Inland surfer Black Pearl, Soulcraft Jetty, Hyperlite broadcast, and Inland Surfer Tako.  I am thinking of giving him the Tako as most of my crew found the Tako wasn't as comfortable as the broadcast.  The broadcast is slow though, and heavy, but it was easiest for new riders to start on.  The Black Pearl is a good skim, fast and light, but definitely fragile.  The Soulcraft is very, very fragile.  I personally can't ride it, but my son and nephew ride the hell out of it.  For some reason it always tosses me off the back side.  I am looking at replacing whatever I give him, and am considering the Hyperlite Shim, Hyperlite Time Machine, and Ronix Blender.  Those are all in stock at my dealer, and he will let me buy for cost since I bought the LSV this week.  Any thoughts on those 3 boards? 

If your upgrading you really wouldn’t be upgrading with either of those 3