Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Suburban vs new 1500?

Kalamazoo

I went with a suburban over a year ago. Loaded her up, beautiful vehicle. I was thinking I'd need the extra seating room but over time realized it wasn't a huge issue. The suburban is a big unwieldy girl at times and while she tows well seems a bit 'soft'. The power is good (base V8) and is geared for towing with a 5 speed tranny. I can do flat highway at 65 or so comfortably.

I'm considering moving to a new 1500 with the 6.2 and 8 speed tranny. Would there be noticeable improvement in towing stability and/or ability to cruise at highway speeds better? I know it's all subjective but I assume with the vehicles having different frames, suspensions and drivetrains it may. Any opinions welcomed. Thanks crew!

I drove a lot of newer half tons in my search last fall.  I was incredibly impressed by all of the powertrain offerings with 6+ speeds, which seems like most of the modern trucks. 

Have 2 overdrive gears with that long 6th ratio was really incredible.  The 10 speed F-150s really were something to write home about for highway cruising, sporty suspension (very little unsprung weight with such a light truck) and towing power was off the chain.  

My buddy has a 3.5 ecoboost, averages 20 mpg around town and pulls away from my Tacoma on mountain passes while towing a 17' camper.  It's embarrassing.  

I know you asked about the 6.2 1500.  I drove the gm products back then and just didn't see the draw to the big block when the forced induction motors made similar power, better mileage, and were $15k less.

Edited by Pra4sno

The 6.2 is a much better engine than the 5.3 you are running.  Significantly more power with not much of a change in MPG.

And, IMO, the Suburban leaves a lot to be desired as a stable tow vehicle (I have a Yukon XL).

I agree with @oldjeep.  I would look at a Hemi RAM.  IMO, it is the best 1500 out there.  The F150 EcoBoost would be my 2nd choice, with the GM 6.2 coming in 3rd.  If you aren't brand loyal/biased, I would drive all 3 and see which you like the best.

I'm sure the Toyota guys will be in here soon........

To your original question - 

I had 3 Suburbans.  The two with the 5.7 were great for towing.  The one with the 5.3 not so much.  They do have an awesome ride, but they are a little softer riding. 

I have a 2017 Sierra 1500 with the 6.2 and 8 speed.  Traded from a 2014 with the 6.2 and a 6 speed.  Excellent acceleration.  I have the 3.42 axle, 4x4 Crew cab and what they call the standard bed now (6-1/2 ft).  If you can find one, it is a noticeable improvement over the 5 foot option.  

I get great mileage (22+ on highway) - it shuts down to a 4 cyl when at steady cruise.  And i hardly notice the weight when pulling my 21' LSV or 26' Travel Trailer. 

Just ignore the Ford/Hemi/Nissan fan-boys.  Go GM.

• Like 3

Earlier this year I purchased a 2017 yukon xl denali 4x4. It has the 6.2 and 8 speed. I am still wonderfully impressed with the vehicle, particularly how it handles my LSV. I'm pleased with the mileage unload and was very surprised with the mileage pulling the boat. I find the suspension to be very smooth and predictable, while the drivetrain is plenty powerful and don't notice it hunting for gears. The thing mostly drives itself with lane assist and adaptive cruise. This purchase exceeded my expectations in a big way.

My previous tow vehicle was a tahoe with 5.3. It pulled the boat fine but was a bit of a handful, more so due to the bounciness of the short wheel base. If you were trying to hold speed while climbing a hill, it would downshift and really rev up the engine. I do not have any of that with the 6.2.

So, I'll chime in as the Toyota fanboi. First of all, if you want a nice interior, get a Ram. If you want fuel mileage, probably GM or Ford. The Toyota offers a level of simplicity and reliability that attracted me to the truck. The tow package automatically comes with a 4.30:1 differential, the 6spd is very adequate for the engine and gearing. And the transmission is pretty good with engine braking, engages as soon as you hit the brake pedal, nice feature. I think in the youtube gauntlet test, the Toyota and Ram were about dead equal in towing capability. If you want a crew, you get the short bed. I like my Tundra but I also wanted a truck I could run for the next many years pretty trouble free.

I'll also say a couple things about Nissan. We have a '12 Armada which has been pretty trouble free for the past 70k miles. Couple little issues here and there but overall it is a solid truck. Many do not like the looks of them, I can see that but I don't think it is any worse than the boxes you get from everyone else. Towing is great with it, but our boat isn't a bloated surf monster so that might be skewed. I wouldn't have any issue in buying a new Titan in GAS trim. That new engine looks pretty impressive. I would have went that route but I wasn't going to drop that much coin on something I'll stuff with leaves, rocks, various machinery.

Good luck, truck shopping is tough these days, and fun. 

39 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

You need to move up to a Cadillac to get the 6.2L

Nope new this year is a 6.2l Tahoe. The Tahoe RST allows for bigger brakes, mag ride suspension, and 6.2l engine. Also GMC Yukon Denali has always offered the bigger engine.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Koeh0083 said:

Nope new this year is a 6.2l Tahoe. The Tahoe RST allows for bigger brakes, mag ride suspension, and 6.2l engine. Also GMC Yukon Denali has always offered the bigger engine.

Funny it doesn't show up on the 2018 chevy builder site.  So you are up to what - 70K for that?  As opposed to a crew cab 1500 with an appropriate sized engine starting around 35K?

(Yes it is a hemi ram )

http://saintpaul.furymotors.com/vehicle-details/new-2017-ram-1500-big-horn-4x4-crew-cab-57-box-st-paul-mn-id-19835810

Or a 6.2 Chev 1500 for around 46K

http://www.jeffbelzerschevy.com/VehicleDetails/new-2017-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-Crew_Cab_Short_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_LTZ-Lakeville-MN/2956198573

Edited by oldjeep
56 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

You need to move up to a Cadillac to get the 6.2L

Not true... GMC Yukon Denali has 6.2L (i.e. $10k cheaper than the Caddy)

That said, I would not recommend it as a wakeboat tow rig. As previously mentioned, the shorter wheelbase really changes the dynamic. 

Edited by IXFE
7 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Funny it doesn't show up on the 2018 chevy builder site.  So you are up to what - 70K for that?  As opposed to a crew cab 1500 with an appropriate sized engine starting around 35K?

(Yes it is a hemi ram )

http://saintpaul.furymotors.com/vehicle-details/new-2017-ram-1500-big-horn-4x4-crew-cab-57-box-st-paul-mn-id-19835810

Default on the Chevy site is 2017 still, you have to go to the 2018 to get to the builder. Yes the premier packaged RST pushes 70k but I never said it didn't. All I made a point is that there is a offered Tahoe this year this the 6.2l engine. Yes there are other offered vehicles on the market with a fraction of the price but a 2017 Ram Big Horn 1500 is not apples to apples comparison. I have a 2008 Expedition right now and trying to decide if I want say with SUV profile or move to pickup truck for they are not interchangeable.

The options I'm considering are a Tahoe RST or Durango RT/ (new this year) SRT. For trucks Ram 1500 sport or Chevy 1500 LTZ 6.2.

Just now, Koeh0083 said:

Default on the Chevy site is 2017 still, you have to go to the 2018 to get to the builder. Yes the premier packaged RST pushes 70k but I never said it didn't. All I made a point is that there is a offered Tahoe this year this the 6.2l engine. Yes there are other offered vehicles on the market with a fraction of the price but a 2017 Ram Big Horn 1500 is not apples to apples comparison. I have a 2008 Expedition right now and trying to decide if I want say with SUV profile or move to pickup truck for they are not interchangeable.

The options I'm considering are a Tahoe RST or Durango RT/ (new this year) SRT. For trucks Ram 1500 sport or Chevy 1500 LTZ 6.2.

The Ram Sport is just an SLT/BigHorn with car bumpers

27 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

The Ram Sport is just an SLT/BigHorn with car bumpers

and wheels and projector headlights and different seats (potentially leather if you pay for it). 

Pretty sure (but not positive) that sports also only come with the 3.92 rear end (I've only seen them that way in extensive geeking out).

11 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

and wheels and projector headlights and different seats (potentially leather if you pay for it). 

Pretty sure (but not positive) that sports also only come with the 3.92 rear end (I've only seen them that way in extensive geeking out).

You can get the sport with 3.21 (standard) or 3.92 with the hemi. Funny thing with the rear end ratio is that the Hemi makes so much torque that the 3.21 is a better choice unless you tow at max, live in the mountains or tow 24/7.  Mine has the 3.21, tows like a beast but gets good mileage on the highway.  Weird thing with the sport is that a class 4 is optional, where it is standard on pretty much anything else - I think because of the plastic bumpers

I configure myself a new Ram every 6 months and keep coming to the conclusion that aside from getting the longer bed I would buy exactly the same truck as my 09 so why spend money ;)

A very close second would be a 6.2L Chev/GMC - I just wouldn't be able to get over the 10K cost difference

Edited by oldjeep

I configure myself a new Ram every 6 months and keep coming to the conclusion that aside from getting the longer bed I would buy exactly the same truck as my 09 so why spend money 

Yeah I've geeked on the rams a lot -- I got very very close to buying one a couple of times but could never find the right deal on a truck with 32 gallon tank, 3.92 lsd, convenience package, long bed, air suspension and rambox.  oh well... the right private party used deal fell in my lap on a 14 ecoboost f150 a couple of months ago and I saved about 20k in sales tax/reg/depreciation.

As @IXFE knows I went back and forth on the long bed when I was looking at my new-to-me f150, and I'm really glad now that I went with the long bed.  I was worried that it'd make it hard to drive/park, but coming from the excursion it's a breeze.  The excursion is shorter but the turning radius is like half a mile. 

I really appreciate having an appropriately sized truck bed.  I had the tiny bed on an 05 F150 I had some years back and was always frustrated at how little it held.

1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

Yeah I've geeked on the rams a lot -- I got very very close to buying one a couple of times but could never find the right deal on a truck with 32 gallon tank, 3.92 lsd, convenience package, long bed, air suspension and rambox.  oh well... the right private party used deal fell in my lap on a 14 ecoboost f150 a couple of months ago and I saved about 20k in sales tax/reg/depreciation.

As @IXFE knows I went back and forth on the long bed when I was looking at my new-to-me f150, and I'm really glad now that I went with the long bed.  I was worried that it'd make it hard to drive/park, but coming from the excursion it's a breeze.  The excursion is shorter but the turning radius is like half a mile. 

I really appreciate having an appropriately sized truck bed.  I had the tiny bed on an 05 F150 I had some years back and was always frustrated at how little it held.

Yeah, and realistically the "long bed" on a ram is only an extra 9 inches so for parking it isn't a huge issue but it sure would be nice to have the extra space since I always seem to be about 5" short of bed space.  In 09 you couldn't get a 6'4" bed otherwise I would have one.

On 11/7/2017 at 2:09 PM, oldjeep said:

I'd have a look at a Hemi Ram too.  Same power as a 6.2 GM but without all the $$$$.  And the Ram 1500 rides so much nicer than its leaf sprung competition.

But that gear selector knob... :no: