Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21 VLX Wake Hull

RcPatton

So our family is looking to buy a new malibu, but we are a challenged bunch. My wife loves to ski, I love to wakeboard and the kids are obsessed with surfing. We have read alot about the versatility of the VLX 21, but I can't find one with a diamond hull.

Has anyone skied behind a 21 VLX with the wake hull? If so - is it manageable? My wife is definitely not a pro - so the wake doesn't have to be completely flat.

Not sure how the hulls have changed but on my vRide when I get it up to 36mph the wake looks pretty flat.  I don't ski so I couldn't tell you if it's actually a good ski wake.

How into skiing is she is the big question. Running the ski course you should just get a separate boat. If she just gets back there and cuts around some then a wake hull is probably fine. 

The diamond hull vtx is a good boat to look for if you want it all. It's impossible to find a boat that does it all really well you just have to decide what is more important to you. 

3 hours ago, RcPatton said:

So our family is looking to buy a new malibu, but we are a challenged bunch. My wife loves to ski, I love to wakeboard and the kids are obsessed with surfing. We have read alot about the versatility of the VLX 21, but I can't find one with a diamond hull.

Has anyone skied behind a 21 VLX with the wake hull? If so - is it manageable? My wife is definitely not a pro - so the wake doesn't have to be completely flat.

The 21 with the Diamond hull should be fine.  I used to ski courses and still slalom pretty aggressively behind my 21 with Diamond hull.  Well set up it has a good wake for boarding and surfing too.  I have a 2005 21LSV (same hull as VLX).