Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

13 x 14.5 4 blade too much for 310hp ?

uk_exile

I don't have a spare prop and have chance to buy a 13 x 14.5 4 blade OJ very cheap.

However current prop is a 13 x 12.75 acme which 310hp turns at 4950rpm

Would the 13 x 14.5 4 blade be too much ? It's only as a weekend saver spare, not as a permanent replacement as I can get props repaired within a day or two if I damaged the acme

the other prop I can get for similar cheap as price is a 13 x13 3 blade OJ but it's stainless & I'm not sure about using stainless instead of nibral

Two answers to your 2 questions:

I also own a Response with the 310 carb. I assume you have a Response with a 1:1 tranny, as opposed to a V-drive with a gear reduction tranny that can handle/needs the steeper pitch, or a MC with a gear-reduced "powerslot" tranny.

I really think the 13" X 14.5" 4 blade is WAY too much pitch for your boat. It will pull your rpm's down below the rated redline (4800), you may (not likely) get a bit more speed....(I doubt it). For any given speed, your rpm's will be less than with your current prop..... but your pulling power will be pretty low. Unless you get purely as an emergency back-up, I don't think you'd ever use on a regular basis.

As for the 13" X 13" stainless. CVP (Credit Valley Propeller... or something like that.) 13 X 13 was original equipment on early Responses. (It was on my 1998 Response when I bought used 3 years ago) This prop worked fine. About 49 mph at about 5000 rpm (A bit past my 4800 redline). HOWEVER, after reading several threads about these earlier CVP's "shredding a blade", I used it as justification to buy myself a new Nybral OJ prop. Heck, you can get a new prop for about $300..... why run the risk of turning an out-of-balance discard from somebody else and do some other drive-line damage from out-of-round spinning. Having said that, I keep the 13 X 13 as my "spare" or "back-up". Love the OJ. Less speed, but better pulling. (See below)

Of the 2 you mention.... if the price was the same.... and condition the same..... I'd pick the 13 X13.

So..... what did I move to. I bought the OJ 13 X 12. Love it. Smooth smooth smooth. I woud over-rev past 5000 rpm if I kept the throttle buried, so I don't do that. (Ski boat is not meant for speed.) At 4900 rpm I get about 47 mph.... more throttle left, but I won't run the engine past that point. No sense. Great throttle response in low and mid-range. Good rpm's at ski speeds. (ie: runs about 3500 rpm at 34 mph. The CVP ran about 3400 rpm at 34 mph.)

I also tried (and sent back) an OJ 13 X 11.5. Lots of power out of the hole (more than I needed). It was running over 3600 at 34 mph. I'm not a deep shortline skier, don't have mega fatsacks, and I decided I could get all the powerI needed with the 13 X 12 with a bit less engine revs (and less wear and less gas).

Hope this helps.

Edited by doughickey

Doug

Info sure has helped. I'll think I remove the 13x14.5 as on option.

It would ever only get used as a spare if the acme was damaged.

However I'm still a little unsure about the stainless though even though it would work well. From what I've read more chance of breaking other things if hit something and harder/more expensive to repair.

I would like to buy new acme but family budget doesn't stretch to one and board racks are higher on the want list than a brand new prop which we hope we'll never need to use as it's only going to be a weekend saver prop

Doug

Info sure has helped. I'll think I remove the 13x14.5 as on option.

Yup. Prop that pitch may bring your RPM down so much as to cause your engine to lug. Not good at all for the motor, particularly if you have any load in the boat whatsoever.

My 01 SLXi had an OJ 13x14 4 blade from the factory. As Jack said, the engine didn't have the guts to spin it as req'd...slow holeshot, poor speed holding, etc. 13x13 was a much better fit.

cheers guys

re engine spped my previous boat was a jet and the 350 chev was held back to 4000rpm because of the impeller fitted. however it went like a cut cat. with jets going above 4500rpm give very very little performance return

Colin. My advice - stick to the standard 13 x 12 nibral prop. In some circumstances a stainless prop will take more biffo but will allow other parts to get trashed. The nibral prop is sacrificial when you hit something which is good compared to replacing prop shaft/strut etc.

My prev boat was a 2003 Response with 335hp Monsoon and the 13 x 12 Acme was a perfect match for 3-events - nobody pulled the boat back in jump or slalom and it seemed relatively economic too. I would not deviate from this and I may have a second hand one if you want me to look further for you.