Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sea strainer install

hawaiianstyln

Looking at several install options for this sea strainer, the easiest seems that i would just cut the straight hose that directly goes from intake to vdrive. If i do that the strainer would have to get mounted upside down.  I dont see anything wrong with installing upside down as the strainer will still work.  If i try and install this right side up it will start requiring adding several 90's to get the house to route up and then back down to transmission. 

Anyone see anything wrong with an upside down sea strainer mount.  

Edited by hawaiianstyln
24 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Looking at several install options for this sea strainer, the easiest seems that i would just cut the straight hose that directly goes from intake to vdrive. If i do that the strainer would have to get mounted upside down.  I dont see anything wrong with installing upside down as the strainer will still work.  If i try and install this right side up it will start requiring adding several 90's to get the house to route up and then back down to transmission. 

Anyone see anything wrong with an upside down sea strainer mount.  

If there was a way to vent the strainer it wouldn't be a problem, but since nearly the entire strainer will be a large pocket of air, it will displace the water (the strainer won't fill with water), and all of the water will end up going through the bottom 1/2" of strainer instead of the same volume being strained over the entire area of the strainer...so it will clog faster.

• Like 1

Okay i wasnt a fan of the three 90's but the install is complete.  I suppose i can contribute a write-up so @WakeGirl could maybe post it to the diy mods (or whomever puts those up there).  I know there is one for a response direct drive but obviously the V install is way different.  

Thoughts???

IMG_9661.JPG

IMG_9662.JPG

IMG_9663.JPG

IMG_9664.JPG

IMG_9665.JPG

IMG_9666.JPG

IMG_9667.JPG

Edited by hawaiianstyln
  • Like 2
  • 1 year later...

@hawaiianstyln or anyone else,

I’m looking to install a sea strainer as my first big DIY project.   The posted above filter is on the way.  Like everyone else, space available will be the challenging factor for the install.  In my head, there is room with 90 degree turns (as pictured above).  Can anyone direct me where to get those 90 degree fittings that go in and out of the filter?  (1 1/4 inch threaded male screwed into the filter, with 1 1/4 inch barb inserted into the water hose ?). Also will need 2-3, 90 degree double-barbed connectors as well. (Barb inserted into water hose, 90 turn, barb inserted into hose).

I can’t find them on Bakes.  Any ideas where to get these?

thanks for the help,

Whitecap :salute:

Those should work.  No need for marine parts. 

I have a PVC one-way valve and tee in my intake hose so I can use a garden hose to flush the engine.  I have to check it every once in a while to make sure it hasn't cracked since my raw water pump seems to vibrate a bit more than I think it should.

• Like 2

Grass and bark chips mostly. Half of the top of a plastic screw on bottle top one time. Boating on a river moves a lot of stuff in comparison to a lake. I would bet that most of the crud I pick up gets sucked up at the boat ramp though.

I don't have one but my ski partner has one on his CC 196 and yes we get mostly weed chop. The good thing is you can see if it need cleaning easy. But then its not hard to pull the hose from the cooling line at the trans heat exchange and clean it. Still once a year is what we usually clean ether. 

I’m on a smaller spring fed lake without any outlet and probably could get rid of my strainer. There’s rarely anything inside the bowl/screen. I clean it out once a year maybe. I still like it for peace of mind and - as I switched to a Indmar strainer last year - I can use it to hook up a garden hose to run the engine when out of the water. If I ever should need that.

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Curious, for those of you that have these strainers - ever find anything in it?

Seems to gather the most debris at the beginning of the season since all the runoff from the creeks brings lots of woody debris that floats on the surface.  First year I had it I checked it regularly and this is what I found after 3 outings (9 hobbs hours of operation) so I emptied it and took a couple pictures of what I found.  Some of the debris was embedded on the filter and also some spilled out when I emptied the bulk of the water, but you get the idea.  Not enough to keep me up at night but makes me feel like it protects the impeller from damage.  I just do a visual check throughout the season and then empty and clean with winterization.

20170616-154047.jpg

20170616-154010.jpg

6 hours ago, formulaben said:

Seems to gather the most debris at the beginning of the season since all the runoff from the creeks brings lots of woody debris that floats on the surface.  First year I had it I checked it regularly and this is what I found after 3 outings (9 hobbs hours of operation) so I emptied it and took a couple pictures of what I found.  Some of the debris was embedded on the filter and also some spilled out when I emptied the bulk of the water, but you get the idea.  Not enough to keep me up at night but makes me feel like it protects the impeller from damage.  I just do a visual check throughout the season and then empty and clean with winterization.

20170616-154047.jpg

20170616-154010.jpg

Same. It’s cheap insurance to help keep the impeller in better shape. Our lake is super weedy, and while grate on the hull prevents most, I do still get small stuff like you in the strainer. 

Anyone know where I can find these 90 degree hose barbs? (Both threaded for the filter, and unthreaded for the hose.). It looks like Lowe’s and Home Depot do not have them in stock and Lowe’s has “delayed” my on line order until they can “locate” the part.  There is no projected delivery date now on the Lowe’s website.

soooooooo...... Bakes, Skidim, marine hardware, and ski boat parts online, do not carry just the 90 degree hose barbs without threads. (Or, if they actually do... I can’t seem to find them on their website.)

Any thoughts where I can go to get these parts to implement my sea strainer install.

056586F9-0719-4A5C-92DD-AC8E7193640D.jpeg.28b403f71493e12726f0b773adaeb71b.jpeg

Edited by Whitecap

@Whitecap- have found them at Menard's and a smaller selection at Lowes, Home Depot or Ace.

@oldjeep- added one this year (it was free), stays pretty clean but gets some weed debris on our small lake.  There are different density screens so be sure you don't get one that restricts the flow too much.  Every 90 degree bend is also a system restriction.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:24 AM, Whitecap said:

It’s 1 1/4...... you are correct.  He was just showing a size that popped up.  Tracking it down now on line.  Maybe I can get this thing installed before the end of the weekend.

sorry, haven't logged in for a few weeks and just now noticed your questions.  How did the install work, did you finish it last week?  I will say that I finally moved mine in the location like @LateNightSalami did because I had experienced some over heating and I'm not really sure it was do to fake-a-lake on the trailer over the winter or not or too many 90's on that.  I had later in the spring just decided to get rid of that contraption I made and install inline just before the impeller but after vdrive. 

@oldjeep yes I'm constantly pulling loads of weeds/twigs, etc out of that thing.  However, I run in a dirty river a lot (Maumee river, Toledo OH)