Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dog on the boat?

idahows

So do you let your dog on the boat...we have a lab who is considered another member of the family and will be taking her camping with us this weekend but haven't had her on the boat yet. Do you let your dog on the boat and if so, how do you prevent her from scratching the gel or vinyl?

Thanks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mikeg

• WakeAndSno

• Brad B

• Sunset_Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So do you let your dog on the boat...we have a lab who is considered another member of the family and will be taking her camping with us this weekend but haven't had her on the boat yet. Do you let your dog on the boat and if so, how do you prevent her from scratching the gel or vinyl?

Thanks

Nevermind the scratching the gel or vinyl, I thought it would be nice to take the dog out on the lake while I washed the boat. While I'm busy washing down the rear of the boat, good ol' Joe is up front dropping the "Mother Load" in the bow.... Badmood.gif I guess he was just a little more excited about the boat ride than I was.

Don't forget about all of the Dog Hair that will get EVERYWHERE!

We love our dogs, but there is no way I am going to put them on my boat without some kind of socks on their feet, which they will not tolerate, so it's not gonna happen. One of our course buddies brings his dog in his CC, and yes, it does scratch up his boat. One day his dog jumped out of the boat to swim, got back up on the swim platform, climbed up over the back, sliding and scratching the whole way. I just could not imagine letting that happen to my boat.

We had originally planned on letting the dogs on the boat, but there is no way I'm letting our two dogs on now. I've become very into (read anal) keeping the boat looking as perfect as I can and that really doesn't mix with dogs. NO thanks.

We have always taken our dogs, but they are small dogs and since they are short hair Schnauzer's they don't shed. They have been lake dogs since they were weened. If they need to go to the bathroom they swim to the shore and when finished they swim back. We've never had a problem with any scratches or tears, but like I said they are small dogs.

I don't think we'd take them if they were big dogs like a lab or something like that unless I had a pontoon or something. THe bu isn't made for that.

dogs.jpg

We have a lab who goes everywhere with us. Except the boat.... I have just gotten to the point where the kids can go with us :-)

Besides someone has to stay back and guard the beer at the campsite

:-)

I've always wanted a boat dog. But have always been so anal about cleaning / care of the boat. Not sure how I would deal with both issues...

To answer the original post: There are dogi booties out there. May try Overton's first, or WestMarine. I seem to remember them being in a mainstream vendor's site.

Scratches...It is just a boat. You can always buy a new one.. Biggrin.gif

I bring both of my dogs...all 350lbs worth on my boat. They are Newfoundlands and love the water. The problem is they jump in to save you when you try to ski.

Ever try to load a 180lb dog from the water onto the swim step?

enyomaya.jpg

I bring my 45lb Aussie on the boat sometimes.

Lots of shedding but it blows out as soon as it dries.

Problem with her is she has issues when people splash - so she attacks them - in a playful way but can connect with teeth sometimes.

We don't have a dog but we let my coach & his wife bring their dog on the boat. It's some kind of either a long legged white rat or a really short goat. It weighs about 4 pounds and likes to sit on the motor box to spot. It's actually a pretty good spotter - gets really excited if the rider falls. It sheds a bit but the boat gets detailed every fall so WTH.

Problem with her is she has issues when people splash - so she attacks them - in a playful way but can connect with teeth sometimes.

Too funny Brad, my Aussie does the same exact thing.

However, I suspect you have a special blend of teflon carpeting in your boat. I spent 30 min last night getting all the hair out of the carpet in my boat. Crazy.gif

Edited by vlxjeff

Too funny Brad, my Aussie does the same exact thing.

However, I suspect you have a special blend of teflon carpeting in your boat. I spent 30 min last night getting all the hair out of the carpet in my boat. Crazy.gif

Well except for the carpet -= never can get all the fur out of the carpet - next dog will be the same color as the carpet

...While I'm busy washing down the rear of the boat, good ol' Joe is up front dropping the "Mother Load" in the bow....
ROFL.gif

We take our cocker spaniel camping with us so she rides in the boat to get to the campsite but once there...she stays on shore. Of course, she's old (14) and she goes like a bat outta____ the first day then sleeps the rest of the week-end. :lol:

We take our Golden Retreiver on the boat all of the time. He is only 8 months old and has been coming with us the entire season. He has his place right behind the driver and the only time he climbs over any vinyl is getting in or out. He has pretty long nails and and has yet to scratch anything on our boat. He seems pretty careful climbing over the back to go for a swim.

196_9626.jpg

ALWAYS, our beloved Golden is our main spotter, the boat does not leave the dock without her. No rips on the vinyl, only hair that we vacum...OFTEN:)

Good luck...we have no kids so they are the family!!

Cheers

Reggie

Don't forget about all of the Dog Hair that will get EVERYWHERE!

We have 2 dogs, a lazy Lab and a high strung English Setter. We love them both. And aside from the Setter wanting to jump off the boat after some ducks or something (he loves birds), I just don't want to deal with the hair everywhere.

In fact, this is what I hear from most guys after they bring there dogs out. So, we just said no.

BTW, Pennery, beautiful Retriever!

We let our dog on the boat. She's a 38 lb Australian Shepard. The only problem is, she thinks it's her boat. Now if I can only get her to help clean it up.

wow05_0018_resize.JPG

11_20_05_0008.jpg

:) When I first saw your pictures I thought it was BillFooters post, He's got two Aust. SHepards that go with him in his boat. His Female, Maggie looks simular too your dog....

He's got a boat full with her and his male Sheppard, Rusty. Both are great dogs, but BIG for a closed bow response. Crazy.gif And lot's of dog hair too share...

Edited by Sunset_Bob

We ocassionally take our 80 lb Austrailian Shepard with us, especially if we are camping. We have had no scratches, tears, etc., just lots of hair in the carpet, as mentioned before, but the boat usually is cosmetically trashed after a campout anyway, so it just takes a little longer to clean.

On a sidenote, we took him to Shasta for 4 days in early June & he came home covered with ticks, so check your dog (and your kids) after a trip to a warm area lake.

Well I think I will give it try this weekend and see how she does. We have a boat slip for our camping trip so it should be fairly easy for her to board the boat. I may pick up some of those boots mentioned to see if the dog will tolerate it...that in itself should be good for a few grins.

Thanks for the input...I'll let you know how it goes...

David