Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Process to resolve / fix gel coat issues on a newer boat?

store934

I know these boats are hand built and not perfect.  I just started the warranty process through my dealer and hoping this all gets taken care of in the offseason but has anyone seen anything like this before or have knowledge of what it will take to repair something like this?  I have seen oxidation on older boats and this does not look like oxidation.   Some of the spots are really only visible in direct sunlight.  The boat is always covered when not in use and properly maintained and basically new so I don't see how this can be a owner care issue.

My concern is that unlike a motor, transmission, or a screen fix this issue might be a deeper manufacturing issue because as time passed this summer I found more and they appear to get worse with time.   I have attached a few of the bigger spots.

Maybe something went wrong during the molding process or spraying the final coats?  I am not looking to start another quality debate thread but I am hoping for any insight on what might be going on, how big of a deal this will be to get it fully resolved, and what are reasonable expectations as an owner that this issue is gone forever. 

Rear Right .jpg

IMG_0063_HEIC.jpg

Bow .jpg

ahopkins22LSV

Hmm. First, is that Blake flake with a few of those big weird spots showing up? Or is that regular black that spotted that bad?

If it's the random big spots I'm not sure what could cause that. A defect in the clear coat maybe? How hard is the water you boat in? Maybe it reacted weird?

Yes.  Black flake and the lighter haze is the bad areas.  It is the top layer and not very deep so maybe it’s not gel coat?

There is black flake near the waterline and I don’t see the issue there so I am not sure why it would impact these areas farther away from water.  It mainly is occurring above the rub rail but that clear coat up there is a lot deeper than below the rub rail.

Just guessing it's a clear coat issue. I think the gel is the bottom layer? Do you have a dealer close by to take a look. Good finish guys can do miracles. Regardless, that boat is gorgeous. 

Steve B.

• Like 1

Yeah.  Dropped it off at the dealer today so the process is underway to get it corrected.  

Not so much worried about the immediate fix.  My underlying concern is that there is a deeper issue that’s going to keep surfacing based on what happened over the last few months.  There is more than this and all in small sections.

I believe the top coat and gel coat only have a 12 month non transferable warranty so I want to make sure I really know what’s going on.  I don’t want to be left with a boat that has ongoing issues that where really related to a manufacturing defect which is why I feel I really need to push the issue now rather than “wait and see” and I am stuck.  

I normally polish and wax with Collinte in late May, season gets going mid June and then use Boat Bling through the season until it over in early September.   Normally about 4 months of use and covered when not in use.  Stored and covered inside in the winter.  

That’s part of the reason I am concerned.  The newest areas I might be able to polish but the older really bad sections are more than I can tackle with my DA polisher because they are deeper.   IMHO it looks like material needs to be removed and refinished rather than a strait surface correction with foam pads, polish, wax and a DA. 

Guess I will learn more over the coming months and really hope to hear root cause.  I don’t think root cause should be linked to age, sun or lack of care on a 2016 boat. 

Anyway, I don’t think this is common issue. I was hoping to get a little info ahead of the process if anybobdy had an idea what might be going on because I don’t think time is on my side.

I know the only people that can truely answer what is going on and help are my dealer and Malibu but they might be more focused on the fix rather that what caused it and if it’s going to keep happening.  Not really subscribing to “this is normal” right now and it will buff right out.  Maybe if it was only one or two spots I would be on board with that.

Edited by store934
ahopkins22LSV

I agree that's not normal if you keep it sufficiently waxed. It probably will polish out but I'm also with you that what happens next year? Seems really strange. I'm not a gel expert though. 

Unless it just didn't get hit right at the factory. Then I could see that working but if it's developing then I really have no idea. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I feel better about the fix.  

Sounds like I just need to get a good understanding of why the clear coat is getting hazy so soon and if there is risk of it continuing after repair or showing up in other areas like it did this year.

3 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Looks to me like a good compounding and then a wax would take care of it.

Maybe a little wet sanding, but I doubt that from the pics.

No way in hell I'd be OK that a 1-year old boat (even if it had been neglected) would need compounding.  This one has been cared for.  There shouldn't be these issues.  

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...