Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

loud in reverse

Hi Guys,  i have a 2003 Sunsetter LXI -  runs like a top, but it's always very loud in reverse.    It's a little embariskin' at the ramp.   Is this normal ?   I thought it was until I've been on my friends Mastercrafts and their's are very quiet in reverse.

Almost all inboards whine in reverse.  I wouldn't say my boat is embarrassing though.  Yours may be particularly loud for some reason.  At the ramp I'd guess only the people really close to my boat (<20') can hear it.  

Last month I was in a 2015 nautique, 1994 nautique, 2004 malibu, 1990 mastercraft, 2017 mastercraft.  They all sound pretty similar in reverse.  (the new boats are a little more quiet)

I'd make sure you have enough oil in the transmission but aside from that if everything feels ok running it's probably fine.  The DD boats are probably louder because you sit closer to the transmission and there is less insulation.  Clunks when shifting or metal noise from the trans can be bad but just a whine should be ok.  

i could be really out in left field on this one but 

iirc the forward gear-set are cut w a helical edge to get the smoother / quieter operation.

they won't spend the money machining the reverse gear-set until the user base insists it's worth the extra money that the majority are willing pay.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, tvano said:

i could be really out in left field on this one but 

iirc the forward gear-set are cut w a helical edge to get the smoother / quieter operation.

they won't spend the money machining the reverse gear-set until the user base insists it's worth the extra money that the majority are willing pay.

This is what the dealer told me when I bought mine.  It made sense to me as I have been around quite a few cars that have straight cut gears in their rear ends and they sound pretty much the same as my boat in reverse.

• 11 months later...

bringing up this topic again - i was out in my friends 05 response and the noise is just not there like my boat - reverse was just a tad louder than forward

They are both direct drives - did something change on the trannys a few years after my 03?   I have the Hurth ZF 45 D.  

Do you think it's a different fluid or something.  I'm using Dex/Merc fluid

My buddy's 98 Sporty has the Hurth and reverse has always been a very loud whine - vs my Sanger velvet drive that was louder in reverse but much quieter than the Hurth. He's at 925 hrs, zero trans problems, and sounds the same as it did brand new.

Your link sounds EXACTLY like his boat!

Edited by Rednucleus
addition
2 hours ago, drh said:

Here's a clip of mine in reverse LINK. As far as I know this is the normal sound.

Another thought is that if your idle is higher the sound will be louder.

mine sounds like that - maybe even a tad louder.    it's embaraskin'    I wrote it off last year but got me thinking with my friend's boat being so quiet.

Edited by SkiPablo
2 hours ago, drh said:

Here's a clip of mine in reverse LINK. As far as I know this is the normal sound.

That’s pretty much exactly my what my 2000 Wakesetter sounds like.  I wouldn’t consider mine overly loud or embarrassing.

On 10/17/2018 at 12:34 PM, drh said:

My Sportster sounded exactly like that. Listening to that actually brought back some great memories!

12 hours ago, UWSkier said:

They all sound like that though it seems extra pronounced on that Sporty.  Been in countless Malibu DDs and mostly older VDs and they all make that noise.

You're right it was a little louder in that clip (taken over a year ago) because my idle was a tad high at that point in this boat's continuous improvement journey haha. Now it's a bit quieter with correct idle speed. That's one of the things I enjoy about having a used boat - looking back and seeing how far it's come since you've taken over.

On 10/17/2018 at 12:34 PM, drh said:

Identical to mine. Thanks for posting.

Steve B.

4 hours ago, drh said:

You're right it was a little louder in that clip (taken over a year ago) because my idle was a tad high at that point in this boat's continuous improvement journey haha. Now it's a bit quieter with correct idle speed. That's one of the things I enjoy about having a used boat - looking back and seeing how far it's come since you've taken over.

That's how I feel about my '01 too.  I feel like I rescued it from the previous owner.  :)

7 hours ago, UWSkier said:

That's how I feel about my '01 too.  I feel like I rescued it from the previous owner.  :)

Haha...exactly how i feel about mine!