Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge vs. the new free-floating Wedge

Trentster

Maybe it's going to take more time to get my Power Wedge dialed, but I really like the new manual free-floating Wedge better. During Idaho Board Stock I drove a new 2007 Wakesetter VLX with the new manual Wedge. I also rode behind it before and after the comp. Later we surfed behind it. The set-up for surfing was with a 350lb sac in one locker and six people in the boat. I have NEVER seen a surf wake as big and as clean. It had a nice roll too!

I just took delivery of my new 2007 Wakesetter VLX with the Power Wedge last week. I like to board at 23-24 miles per hour. The Power Wedge is really cool because it can be adjusted, but the wake was not nearly as clean as the new manual Wedge. For surfing we couldn't duplicate what we created behind the boat with the new manual Wedge. Call me crazy, but if I'm not able to get the Power Wedge dialed, I will be going with the new free floating Manual Wedge on my 2008 VLX. It's either up, or in the optimal position down.

I would be interested to hear anyone else's observations. Surfing.gif

Trentster

Edited by Trentster

We helped out at a tournament earlier this summer & what we were told is that many of the pros are not using the wedge at all on the new VLX. It adds a lip to the top & under heavily weighted conditions makes it almost impossible to clean up.

Sounds like what I'm seeing with the Power Wedge for sure behind my boat! I didn't observe that at all with the new manual free-floating Wedge. It was clean! We had all of the ballast full, six or seven people in the passenger compartment and a 350 lb sac in the bow with the Wedge down. The wake was really big and clean.

Trentster

Fully weighted we were running 22.6 to 24. Most liked 23 or so. Also we used a GPS to set the speeds before the comp.

I also wonder if the new could be placed on like an 05.

Trentster

Sounds like what I'm seeing with the Power Wedge for sure behind my boat! I didn't observe that at all with the new manual free-floating Wedge. It was clean! We had all of the ballast full, six or seven people in the passenger compartment and a 350 lb sac in the bow with the Wedge down. The wake was really big and clean.

Trentster

Man how did you get all 6 people in that small compartment. Tease.gif

When the boat is out of the water have the wedge all the way down and see if it is truely down.

Aw...Crap. D-Goose beat me to it. And a Michigan fan to boot. This has put a hit on my afternoon.... :)

Kentucky's Malibu Dealer who lived in Ohio for 29 years..... GO BUCKS!!!!!

Edited by JeffK

Yes, we tried to duplicate things the same.

Trentster

--Well off to work- interested to see some discussion on this when I get home.

I seem to recall reading the new manual wedge will not retrofit to the older wedge plates. Don't know if the hole pattern is the same or not on the new plate vs. the old... :unsure:

Edited by UWSkier
Didn't Peter say that the new wedgie can not be retrofitted to older boats? Something about the transom not being able to take it.

Trent,

I think you are right in that it just needs to be dialed in. I recently demo'd the new 2007 we six adults on board with one side ballast full and I think the front & middle too. When the wedge was fully down it looked all right but a little washy at surfing speeds but when the dealer put the wedge up about 1/2 to a 1/3 (not exactly sure of this either since the boat inadvertently didn't get the gauge installed) the wake looked absolutely perfect! I was amazed as it was clean with a nice curl on top which made you think you were in Hawaii. Hope you can get it adjusted or calibrated and all works out.

Something here does not make sense. I don't care how it attached or actuated, the foil itself is the same. Therefore with the infinately adjustable PW you can attain the best angle. If you are notcing a difference it has to be something else.

Right?

Something here does not make sense. I don't care how it attached or actuated, the foil itself is the same. Therefore with the infinately adjustable PW you can attain the best angle. If you are notcing a difference it has to be something else.

Right?

Would a free floating wedge always be adjusting to get the most pull though? So when you hit a wake and the bow goes up, or down a little lower, you will always have it adjusting to find the sweet spot?

Maybe it's going to take more time to get my Power Wedge dialed, but I really like the new manual free-floating Wedge better. During Idaho Board Stock I drove a new 2007 Wakesetter VLX with the new manual Wedge. I also rode behind it before and after the comp. Later we surfed behind it. The set-up for surfing was with a 350lb sac in one locker and six people in the boat. I have NEVER seen a surf wake as big and as clean. It had a nice roll too!

I just took delivery of my new 2007 Wakesetter VLX with the Power Wedge last week. I like to board at 23-24 miles per hour. The Power Wedge is really cool because it can be adjusted, but the wake was not nearly as clean as the new manual Wedge. For surfing we couldn't duplicate what we created behind the boat with the new manual Wedge. Call me crazy, but if I'm not able to get the Power Wedge dialed, I will be going with the new free floating Manual Wedge on my 2008 VLX. It's either up, or in the optimal position down.

I would be interested to hear anyone else's observations. Surfing.gif

Trentster

half wedge is the key to surfing. i have an 06 23lsv i put a 725 sac in the surfside locker, a 725 sac on the surf side seat and a 440 in the front walk through and another 440 on the bow seats. this is with all stock ballast full. i can ride 20 feet back. 10.4 is the right speed for surfing the left side and 11.4 is the speed for the right side. i think the rotation of the prop has to do with the speed difference.