Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Use and care

MIKEGOUGH1

I read the thread on the comparison of the quality of the new 06 models to the 01 Sunsetter. I have not had the opportunity myself to see any of the 06 models, but from what I have seen on line, they look pretty good to me. Of course, even the primo lines are always looking for ways to save money in manufacturing without compromising the quality, and it does not always work out in their best interest. On the other hand, to some it does not matter because there are the privileged few out there that can buy new every year and not worry about seams ripping or gelcoat scratches, etc. Case in point, the wife and I were at the launch a couple of weekends ago and up pulls an 06 Range Rover pulling an 06 MC X-Star. I was in awe, I had to go over and take a look. Out jumps the 16 year old driver and his two 16 year old buddies. Now my feelings have turned from awe to being humbled and maybe somewhat jealous. The wife and I walked over and looked in the boat, it was trashed. From the looks of it, it has never been washed or cleaned out, the interior was all beat up from boards, skis, dogs, who knows what being thrown around in it. Scratches all over the gelcoat, above and below the rub rail, one speaker cover missing, another broken in half. When we walked away my wife commented, "Wow, our boat looks better than theirs as far as cosmetic care", and she was right. I must admit I am quite anal about my boat and its care, as I know a lot of you out there are. There are also a lot that don't care, and to a product manufacturer, if you can just get by with quality and still hit your price points and you have a market of the wealthy that don't really care, then why not. That is one of the reasons I always admired Malibu and CC. I hope Malibu does not vere away from that. I was a little concerned when the Ride series was introduced, I felt like, here we go, trying to test the cutting corners waters. Myself, I don't have the means to go out and buy a new boat every year, and with the depreciation boats take, I'm not so sure I would if I could. I hope I have not offended anyone with my comments, just my .02 worth.

Out jumps the 16 year old driver and his two 16 year old buddies.

Doesn't that make you Mad.gif I have yet to meet a kid that age that I would trust to take out my truck and boat, let alone a brand new rig. There is no way in the world a 16 year old appreciates what he has been given.

felt like, here we go, trying to test the cutting corners waters.

I understand what you are saying. But, have you taken a look at the ride series boats. Other than a few bling items here and there and being on an old hull, there isn't a lot lacking in the boats. EFI (granted it is a from a few gen. ago) Illusion standard, same upholstery, same speed control, etc...

We go to the lake to have a good time and we enjoy the perfomance Bu's provide. No intentions of setting records or competing at a high level. But no way are we going back to the "non-inboard" way of life. That in mind, I would have a hard time shelling out the extra 10k+ to pick up a VLX over a Vride.

Related question. Maybe a bit of a hijack. But lets say that the maximum term on boat loans was 6 years. What would that do to boat sales. Especial our kind of boats. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems that prices started really going up when we started seeing loans for LONG periods of time. A lot of people just look at the monthly payment regardless of whether or not it is a finacially smart deal.

Out jumps the 16 year old driver and his two 16 year old buddies.

Doesn't that make you Mad.gif I have yet to meet a kid that age that I would trust to take out my truck and boat, let alone a brand new rig. There is no way in the world a 16 year old appreciates what he has been given.

I disagree, I appreciate my family's boats to the fullest, I do all the mainince on it and keep it spotless. It's true that many kids take advantage of what is given to them. When we were looking at SAN's 2 years ago we looked at a used 04 that was thrashed, cig burns on the dash, rips in the vinyl, scratches on the bottom of the hull. God knows how that poor boat's engine was mantained. I will be the first to admit I am spoiled, but, I do try to make up for it by keeping the boat very clean and running good. But that's just my perspective as a (once) 16 year old boat driver/mechanic. There is no way that I will ever be able to repay my parents for what they have afforded me growing up.

Dragon88,

I can respect and appreciate your attitude. My 16 year old son has the usual teenage entitlement issues but he has learned that you have to take care of what you have, especially if it is someone else's and they are nice enough to let you use it, you will have nice things and access to nice things. You are fortunate to have parents that raised you with proper values. You are an exception to the rule.

I can say I share Dragon88's way of thinking. We've had a boat since I was 12, and I have always been the one to take care of it. I was proud of it. The deal I had with my parents was they'd take my friends and I out on it, as long as I did the cleaning. I had no problem with this as I wanted my boat to look great for everybody. Now that we have the Bu', I baby the thing. I took good care of the Bayliner, and I take even better care of this boat. One thing though, when I was 16, I was NEVER allowed to take the boat out by myself, and I don't blame my parents. It wasn't until we bought a house on a Lake that my parents let me drive it myself, but I was 19 by then. I was also on the HS crew team for 4 years and the college team for 4, so being around boats wasn't new, and my parents could tell that I was much more careful with it than they were. After all, if my Dad crashes the boat, he curses himself and has to pay for it. If I crash the boat, I never get to touch the boat again....