Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Observations from a window shopper

UWSkier

Not necessarily. There are multiple ways around it. For instance....I took an old paddlewheel, built a stand for it and put a small 12v motor with a variable resistor inline to spin the paddlewheel for me. Not really practical for the person who accidentally drops the wedge once or twice, but great for a boat show.

Is your real name Jeff K. MacGyver :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UWSkier

• VinRLX

• JeffK

• Tom Sawyer

Just a quick side comment here- I'm amazed that so many people HATE how the classic SN 196 looks. It's not like they "sorta" don't like it, it's almost like complete disgust. To me, it has always had the best basic lines of any ski boat, yet I've been told by DOZENS of people from all over the world that they absolutely cannot stand how they look. I guess it's really a love it/hate it sorta design. I think it's so weird that opinions are so strong on the 196. To me, it doesn't get any better as far as great lines on a boat, but to each his own. As far as Bu's go, I think the RLX with the drip molds (2002+ or so) and the classic progressive stripe are by far the best looking bu's. Great looking boats.

i agree you UWSkier totally. cant put my finger on it but 01 was for me too my fav year of models. the brochure and the colour schemes of the boats in it where all very classy. even the VLX's were hot. ebony and sandstone(same as my boat) with the original tribal graphics (hmm or was that 02?), cant find it right now, made me druel and i dont wakeboard. the grey lx in the 01 brochure with the LS1 package will be one of my fav malibu boats ever.

colour schemes has a big part to do with it. ski boats are increasingly getting towers, lights and stereo's in them and are looking more like wake boats every year including the colours, taking away the classic look.

also the reducton in the diamond hulls has something to do with it.. will always love the classic line of them.

that being said there are some very ugly antiques out there - shameful nautiques

ski on.

Well, Matt. They just don't make boats for 6'5 gorillas like you! Just kidding. But seriously, anyone know where I can get a Bayliner? Just kidding again. Matt, I rode in an '07 wakesetter this weekend and the thing was pretty plush. I noticed a few of the things you mentioned but also noticed alot of other things that distracted my attention. Lots of bling bling and cool electronics.

Just a quick side comment here- I'm amazed that so many people HATE how the classic SN 196 looks. It's not like they "sorta" don't like it, it's almost like complete disgust. To me, it has always had the best basic lines of any ski boat, yet I've been told by DOZENS of people from all over the world that they absolutely cannot stand how they look. I guess it's really a love it/hate it sorta design. I think it's so weird that opinions are so strong on the 196.

I've never understood that either. I've always liked the way the lines of the SN/196s looked (especially from 97 on). I'm glad they brought the retro graphics back for 2006.

As spock once said, " The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few"! (I think). Anyway, I have a new boat every year since 2001 and a Malibu owner for 11 years and the changes have been subtle, but WOW at times. They at times try to please the masses who want all the bling and the fastest, best ski & wakeboard wake, coolest tower, loudest stereo, etc., etc., and still people ask for more just like every time somebody does a what would you like to see thread. I am 5' 10" and think the boat is a perfect fit, so to each his own. I at times think back and wonder what was I thinking when I let that 2001 go or the 2002, etc. and especially when I realize how much the darn thing cost now. Does make you look at your 2001 VLX and say, "Ah she's still a beauty"! One of my riding bud's has an 01 and I think it's an awesome looking boat. I had a Bayliner as my first real boat 21 years ago and thought it was awesome and just as good as a friends old 88 Nauti 2001. So your feelings are justified and I say keep that puppy and stay out on the water and have fun! Rockon.gif

As spock once said, " The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few"! (I think). Anyway, I have a new boat every year since 2001 and a Malibu owner for 11 years and the changes have been subtle, but WOW at times. They at times try to please the masses who want all the bling and the fastest, best ski & wakeboard wake, coolest tower, loudest stereo, etc., etc., and still people ask for more just like every time somebody does a what would you like to see thread. I am 5' 10" and think the boat is a perfect fit, so to each his own. I at times think back and wonder what was I thinking when I let that 2001 go or the 2002, etc. and especially when I realize how much the darn thing cost now. Does make you look at your 2001 VLX and say, "Ah she's still a beauty"! One of my riding bud's has an 01 and I think it's an awesome looking boat. I had a Bayliner as my first real boat 21 years ago and thought it was awesome and just as good as a friends old 88 Nauti 2001. So your feelings are justified and I say keep that puppy and stay out on the water and have fun! Rockon.gif

An oxymoron. :lol:

Well back on topic, I had some biz at the plant today and I saw three different Rlxi's that were drop dead gorgeous. Dontknow.gif

Not necessarily. There are multiple ways around it. For instance....I took an old paddlewheel, built a stand for it and put a small 12v motor with a variable resistor inline to spin the paddlewheel for me. Not really practical for the person who accidentally drops the wedge once or twice, but great for a boat show.

Is your real name Jeff K. MacGyver :)

Biggrin.gif Well, desperation and small budgets breed innovation. SIDE NOTE: That saying might make a pretty cool inspirational poster. What do you think?

I tend to agree with UWSkier. I think they hit a sweet spot with my 01 SLXi and nothing since then has made me feel the need to switch (especially considering the price increases).

Amen brother!!

The sweet spot was hit in 2000, you just recognized it a year late! Biggrin.gif

An oxymoron. :lol:

I don't get it. Are you calling him a moron with zitz becuz he likes his Bayliner? They still have the best toobin boats ever!

My Capri still makes me happy every time I pull a toober with it. I think most of the cool stuff Malibu has was coppied from Bayliner anyhow.

Edited by BaylinerNut
Well, Matt. They just don't make boats for 6'5 gorillas like you! Just kidding. But seriously, anyone know where I can get a Bayliner? Just kidding again. Matt, I rode in an '07 wakesetter this weekend and the thing was pretty plush. I noticed a few of the things you mentioned but also noticed alot of other things that distracted my attention. Lots of bling bling and cool electronics.

It's nice to see Jenny finally let you back on the computer. How much sweat equity did you have to put in to get that permission? ROFL.gif

BTW, you should have mail tomorrow. Found it... :blush:

Edited by UWSkier
I don't get it. Are you calling him a moron with zitz becuz he likes his Bayliner? They still have the best toobin boats ever! My Capri still makes me happy every time I pull a toober with it. I think most of the cool stuff Malibu has was coppied from Bayliner anyhow.

He LIVES!!! Crazy.gif

Heh, getting out on the water in anything beats the hell out of sitting around the house anyday.

I still have nightmares where BaylinerNut's ex-wife scares the hell out of me.

Mike

I guess I represent the market that Malibu is going after since I have never owned an inboard before (last boat was a Bayline that I liked very much, thank you very little) and now own an 06 LSV.

When you are used to an i/o, boats with little freeboard feel downright unsafe. Every manufacturer out there is adding freeboard to make their boats deeper, and safer.

We often run with 10-14 people on the boat. Not that long ago your only option was a pontoon. The fact that I can put that many people on y LSV and still get the amazing performance I get is an undeniable leap forward in tehnology. Or at least a heck of a lot HP. :)

As for the interior things you noted, well my speedo and tach line up, the stiching is spot on, and the seats feel the best of the big 3.

• 4 months later...

Spent some time checking out a 20LSV a little bit ago at the Milwaukee show. I really like the boat a lot. Seems to have a nicer feel sitting behind the wheel than the other V drives. I don't have an issue with the windscreen either. It actually looks pretty hot with the right color combo.

There were a couple things I didn't care for though. The first of which is this hinge on the observer seat storage. It just looks out-of place in an otherwise clean area.

20lsv1.jpg

The next thing I noticed were the obvious marker marks from when the factory mounted the windshield.

20lsv2.jpg

Finally, the sun pad on this particular model was all messed up. Seriously, how does this boat even make it out of the factory in this condition? Malibu should be embarrassed. Where's the quality control?

20lsv3.jpg

20lsv4.jpg

The 2 piece sun-pad also doesn't seem to look as nice or operate quite as smoothly as the 3 piece units of years past. It's also a major step backwards for anyone who leaves a boom clamp on their pylon. The side storage becomes useless with the 2 piece hatch in that case. I realize the 2 piece is cheaper for Malibu to make, but IMO, they should really go back to the 3 piece.

The new gauges are nice, but the dash still doesn't sit level. The trim pieces around the switches is a welcome addition though!

I've still yet to see a 'bu with the rear corner screen vents on which the vent frame doesn't have a noticable gap between it and the gel at some place. I don't think I'm being nit-picky...

Edited by UWSkier

Wow, I hope mine shows with better fit and finish than that one.

The only beefs I have with the new bu so far is the 2 piece trunk, seems like a cost saver, the CIPA mirror on the VTX's in the dealership are garbage not to mention you can't open the window without hitting, and the lack of snap out carpet.

Now that being said, take a look around, the only boat I've seen with better fit and finish imo is Mastercaft and the same class boat ie x-2 was $8000 cnd more.

Now that being said, take a look around, the only boat I've seen with better fit and finish imo is Mastercaft and the same class boat ie x-2 was $8000 cnd more.

Better?! I am going to have to disagree with you on that one. The problems that UW found on the 20 LSV wouldn't even make the top of my list if I were looking at any of the Mastercrafts that I saw at the Minneapolis boat show. I was saying the very same thing about Mastercraft. They should be ashamed of themselves for even letting those boats out of the factory. Very poor vinyl craftsmanship.

Don't get me wrong, I am disappointed to see the issues UW pointed out on the 20 and that is not accepatable quality control in my book either.

It's interesting to me that those dealers bring these particular boats to the shows. They should know better too.

and the lack of snap out carpet.

Disagree vehemently on that one. The boats with the snap-out carpet look like crap IMO. Carpeting is one place where Malibu really does a nice job. No exposed gel or plastic below the seats other than on the driver's seat (which used to also be carpeted).

I have a 97 Malibu Response and I would have to agree that I would not sell it for a new Malibu. There are several things that I plan on upgrading on my BU. Just can not justify the price when there is nothing wrong with my 97.

and the lack of snap out carpet.

Disagree vehemently on that one. The boats with the snap-out carpet look like crap IMO. Carpeting is one place where Malibu really does a nice job. No exposed gel or plastic below the seats other than on the driver's seat (which used to also be carpeted).

Plus1.gif I will say that snapout carpet would have a place in some applications... not it my boat. I prefer the wall-to-wall carpeting feel, and sound deadening properties of the carpet... To me, snap in carpet feels like an afterthought. Not something for a $50k boat.

If you want carpet to remove to clean, get a carpet saver - that would give you similar benefits without the cheese factor of exposed fiberglass with a snap down area rug

I'm with Matt and Troy on the carpet thing. Be nice to be able to take it out for a cleaning, but I'd rather the plush, finished look and deal with it. Plus, it gave me an excuse to buy the Bissell thing. :)

Boat musta gone through QC on a Friday. . .