Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lost Buddy Bearings... How to repack Bearings?

Mike

Lost my Buddy Bearings while towing boat... ended up with grease all over.

Before I use trailer again I want to take bearings out, clean them, and repack the bearings but I have never done anything with the wheel bearings before. I am a real rookie and would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me all steps to repack bearings. I have a 2000 Malibu Sunsetter Lxi with the factory trailer.

Thank you

I think trailers were regional up until the past year or two when Malibu started actually making their own.

Do you have a Boatmate, Dorsey, Magnum, etc?

You probably have the standard #84 spindle, but the best way is to pull the old bearings/races/seals and get the part numbers off them.

49 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

I think trailers were regional up until the past year or two when Malibu started actually making their own.

You probably have the standard #84 spindle, but the best way is to pull the old bearings/races/seals and get the part numbers off them.

Not sure what kind of trailer. Boat is up at cottage but I will check in next couple of days and let you know.

49 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

Steps are here and a video link too:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wheelbearingpack.aspx

Wow... that is great link. Lots of detail and great video! Thanks for help and link.

I am planning on just using regular grease caps instead of the Buddy Bearings. I only use the trailer to go about 50 miles to put the boat in at spring, and then another 50 miles to take it out in the fall. When I buy the new grease caps, how do I know what size to order. I lost caps on both sides so I don't know what size they were.

Also, I was planning on using Mobil1 synthetic grease... what do you think?

Thank again for your help!

On 9/30/2017 at 10:51 PM, jwl019 said:

Nothing but bad news.  The factory trailer that was manufactured by “Elete Trailer Company” in Upper Sandusky, Ohio.  From what I understand that company went out of business a number of years ago.  My problem is the wheel dust caps that came with that trailer came off while I was recently towing my boat and I haven’t been able to find any replacements that will fit the brake drum hub. I have tried local parts stores and the internet but have had no luck. The guy at NAPA Auto Parts store measured the inside dimensions of the hub where the dust cap would have to fit into, and that measurement was 2.40 to 2.42 inches diameter. He had a 2.43 dust cap but it wouldn’t quite fit as it turned out it was just a slight amount too big diameter.

When I pulled off the hub and bearing to check and see the part numbers on bearings, there was no manufacturer or part numbers stamped on the bearings. They must be some kind of “generic” bearings???

I tried to contact Malibu to see if they could help, but their website wouldn’t let me submit my request for help, and I didn’t see any phone number to call. I sent them a message to let them know their website doesn’t work and requested an email address I could send my help request to.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to where I could find 2.40 to 2.42 inch ( inside hub diameter measurement ) replacement wheel dust caps for my trailer? The following is the information on the trailer sticker:

Serial Number:  4ARB02018YU000266

Model:  20SAH SIGNITURE EDITION

Boat:  2000 Malibu SUNSETTER LXI

Date of Manufacture:  11-9-99

GVRW:  4500#

Carry:  3600#

Paint Color:  EBONY F12B-1738

Edited by Mike
12 hours ago, jwl019 said:

That definitely seems like a nonstandard size, see if you think any of these would work:

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Grease_Caps.aspx

Possibly another option would be just to buy some new axles with standard hubs?

Maybe you could call etrailer or send them an email to see what they say.

Thanks for suggestions. I called www.etrailer.com as you suggested. They were very helpful and have some great prices, but they said they didn't have anything that would fit.

I did get a reply from Malibu this morning and was provided an email address I could use to send in my explanation and request to. I sent them the request so I am hoping to get some help there.

I thought about the route of replacing the axles but that seems like a lot of expense and work for what amounts to replacing what should be about a $5 part. That would mean getting new drum brake hubs, brakes, etc…

I might just try making my own dust/grease caps. I made up some strange looking temp “caps” using Planters Peanuts 16 oz plastic jars to get my trailer home. They slip over the brake hubs pretty tight and I keep them on using hose clamps. I don’t do any long distance towing… just about 50 miles to ramp in Spring to put boat in the lake, and 50 miles to take the boat out and store in the Fall.

Edited by Mike

Something was measured wrong or in the wrong place.  EVERY bearing and race made in the last bazillion years is stamped with a part number.  It can be hard to see but I bet you a five-spot that it's there and you just missed it.  Your trailer company did not manufacturer the axle or the spindle -- these are generic parts that were cranked out by the millions.  The part you need is stocked by etrailer and/or your local farm store and/or NAPA but you haven't figured out the right way to search for it.   You're close but just not quite there, yet..... Keep working!

Mike,

I have a 2000 Elete Single Axle Trailer Model 20SAH with the same GVWR and Carry #'s as you. I redid my bearings and brakes in the off season. I found the numbers stamped on the bearings and ordered this from etrailer. It worked fine.

BK3-300 Bearing Kit, LM67048/25580 Bearings, 10-36 Seal

BB2441 Bearing Buddy Bearing Protectors - Model 2441 - Chrome Plated (Pair)

Everything fit like a glove and have had no issues since.

36 minutes ago, QmanBu said:

Mike,

I have a 2000 Elete Single Axle Trailer Model 20SAH with the same GVWR and Carry #'s as you. I redid my bearings and brakes in the off season. I found the numbers stamped on the bearings and ordered this from etrailer. It worked fine.

That gives your hub bore as 2.441.  I know you said you tried to fit a 2.43 dust cap and it wouldn't fit, but you should realize that these caps need to be pressed in (just use a dead blow or rubber mallet and pop them in.)  

5 hours ago, QmanBu said:

Mike,

Thanks for info. Since you have virtually the exact same trailer as I have (except mine was manufactured in Nov 1999 and yours is a 2000 trailer), I have gone ahead and ordered the “ BB2441 Bearing Buddy Bearing Protectors - Model 2441 - Chrome Plated (Pair)“ you said has worked for you. I didn’t order the bearing kit since mine seem fine and only have about 1,800 miles on them.

I did check my outer bearing again and there are no stamped part numbers on it. I took some pictures of front and back but I don’t know how to insert them into this post. I’ll post pics later if I can figure that out.

I really, really appreciate your reply!!!

10 hours ago, Fffrank said:

Something was measured wrong or in the wrong place.  EVERY bearing and race made in the last bazillion years is stamped with a part number.  It can be hard to see but I bet you a five-spot that it's there and you just missed it.  Your trailer company did not manufacturer the axle or the spindle -- these are generic parts that were cranked out by the millions.  The part you need is stocked by etrailer and/or your local farm store and/or NAPA but you haven't figured out the right way to search for it.   You're close but just not quite there, yet..... Keep working!

I cleaned and checked my outer bearing again, under bright lights, and there are absolutely no stamped part numbers on it anywhere. I took some pictures of the front and back but I can’t insert them into this post.

Now that you mention it, when I took my brake hub to NAPA, the guy that did the measurement using an Electronic Digital Caliper didn’t seem real skilled at using that tool, so I think his 2.40 to 2.42 inches diameter measurement is probably wrong . Also, when he tried the 2.43 dust cap he just lightly tried to push it on with his hand. I see in your later post that it is a press fit that will take a good knock with a mallet to install them.

Thank you for your help.

When I put the brake hub (with the inner seal and bearing already installed) back on the axle, should I fill the entire space between the inner bearing, and where the outer bearing will be installed, with grease? I am thinking the more grease in there the better???

• 4 years later...

Hey guys I know this is an old thread but I’m hoping maybe someone will see and possibly help me out. I’m going to buy my echelon back that I sold 15 years ago and need to drive it back 150 miles. Mine sits on this same trailer. I’m hoping someone can tell me the wheel size and proper setup as well as tires. I’d like to bring already Mounted wheels and tires down with me to replace before I tow it. Thanks. 

18 minutes ago, Malibumike421 said:

Hey guys I know this is an old thread but I’m hoping maybe someone will see and possibly help me out. I’m going to buy my echelon back that I sold 15 years ago and need to drive it back 150 miles. Mine sits on this same trailer. I’m hoping someone can tell me the wheel size and proper setup as well as tires. I’d like to bring already Mounted wheels and tires down with me to replace before I tow it. Thanks. 

Ask the seller what the tire size is?  That will tell you what size wheels you need.  Bolt pattern should be 5 on 4.5 like most trailers unless it is a HD axle and has 6 lug hubs

23 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Ask the seller what the tire size is?  That will tell you what size wheels you need.  Bolt pattern should be 5 on 4.5 like most trailers unless it is a HD axle and has 6 lug hubs

Unfortunately he’s not the easiest to deal with. But the boat is also at his summer house in a different state that he is selling so he is not there to tell me. I do believe it’s a 6 lug though. That’s what it looked like in the picture. 

19 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I'd say you are SOL unless you can get some basic information.  Especially on boats as old as an Echelon, you can't count on what the "factory" trailer is.  You need a lug count and a tire size.  

Haha. Yea I figured it was worth a shot. Fortunately I do know the trailer it’s on is the factory trailer and it’s the same trailer I sold him with the boat on it. I think I have a pretty good idea now actually. I went back to this threads original creator and looked through his posts and it turns out he had another thread up where the 2 of you discussed the wheels and tires after he had a blowout.