Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much time is left for the Response?

88Skier

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 88Skier

• WakeGirl

• UWSkier

• andyb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As for the Response, I'd be a little surprised to see that go away. Not just because there are too many hard core slalom dudes out there, but because if they do, they take away the only DD that meets the 20' rule. There are still enough people living on lakes that have to meet that requirement that I don't think that Malibu would take that option away. Of course, ICBW.

At least in Wisconsin an RLXi meets the 20' rule. The DNR here puts 20' on your license for a 20'6" boat.

Mike

Edited by mlange

production of sporsters has recently restarted in the Australian factory and from what I've read they are selling very very well. There are many who can't stretch their budget to a vee drive malibu and hence are really keen on the sporster as it loads up better for wakeboarding than the responses

As for the Response, I'd be a little surprised to see that go away. Not just because there are too many hard core slalom dudes out there, but because if they do, they take away the only DD that meets the 20' rule. There are still enough people living on lakes that have to meet that requirement that I don't think that Malibu would take that option away. Of course, ICBW.

At least in Wisconsin an RLXi meets the 20' rule. The DNR here puts 20' on your license for a 20'6" boat.

Mike

There are still a lot of states that don't do that though. I just don't see Bu getting rid of Response, for the reasons that I stated as well as others. They may not update it since the r&d on that boat was paid for a long time ago, pretty much all of the money that those boats bring would be gravy at this point. For the few that they sell every year it would make sense to leave it as it is.

Of course I could be off base. Bu may decide that it's not worth their time & with new ownership coming in, it's always hard to know what will happen.

There are still a lot of states that don't do that though. I just don't see Bu getting rid of Response, for the reasons that I stated as well as others. They may not update it since the r&d on that boat was paid for a long time ago, pretty much all of the money that those boats bring would be gravy at this point. For the few that they sell every year it would make sense to leave it as it is.

Of course I could be off base. Bu may decide that it's not worth their time & with new ownership coming in, it's always hard to know what will happen.

Bidness wise they will review the opportunity cost of running one of those boats through and the profit generated from that versus the profit from running a Big 'ol tube through. They probably take similar amounts of time and resource. Plus if the factory isn't used to running the RLX through they are more apt to make mistake that cost them time or servic expense later because they didn't catch it at the factory.

If they only sell a few, I'd be surprised that they keep it much longer. It's main competition is the SN 196 and how many of those do CC sell?

Sportsters were a big seller in the Northeast and they cancelled them even though from 2003-2005, they were able to increase their price 20%, getting them up to $30k or so, but they still weren't nearly as profitable as a VD.

Edited by 88Skier
If they only sell a few, I'd be surprised that they keep it much longer. It's main competition is the SN 196 and how many of those do CC sell?

Sportsters were a big seller in the Northeast and they cancelled them even though from 2003-2005, they were able to increase their price 20%, getting them up to $30k or so, but they still weren't nearly as profitable as a VD.

Not very many 196's are sold. I suspect that most are sold to promo guys. I recollect being told that 200 196's were sold for the 2006 model year. I could be wrong, though.

Edited by SGY

Yup! RLX remains the hottest Malibu on water. :)

Ya, right behind the Sportster Biggrin.gif

I was going to say that but I didn't want to fire everyone up... I'd post a pic of Miss January but, I don't have any small files. Do you still have that hypo Sporty?

Sporty is a hottie, but she ain't got enough trunk for me. :)

I've always thought that it was sacrilege to cut into a nice deck like that. Biggrin.gif

As far as the best looking Malibu...IMHO no other model even comes close to the Flighty. I'll be kicking myself for the rest of my life for not buying one.

:(

Kind of nineteen-seventy-something Glastron-ish........

is that a big 2-stroke weed-eater bolted on to the back Dontknow.gif Never seen one on a tow boat before...

Yeah...I grew up skiing to the smell of blue smoke. Say, maybe that's what's wrong with me. Crazy.gif If I had that boat now, I expect I'd be burning about a 3rd of the gas I am now..maybe even less.

The Flightcraft was to barefooters what the Lxi is to slalom skiers and what the Vlx is to wakeboarders. I hope that none of the rest of you have ever find out what it feels like to have your sport's boat discontinued.

Response isn't going anywhere, I don't think Malibu is going to make any changes to it, as it is now their entry level skiers boat. Compare the apointments of a ride series boat to a response and you'll see what I'm talking about, no stainless rubrail, no premium carpet, etc. The current response is only 8 years old now (that is diamond hull w/ trunk) so it has some time left.

As far as the best looking Malibu...IMHO no other model even comes close to the Flighty. I'll be kicking myself for the rest of my life for not buying one.

find a used one.. u can still have your dream!! ROFL.gif