Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much time is left for the Response?

88Skier

The changes to the new Response Lxi don't seem to be going over so well with a lot of crew members and I agree. That was the boat I would have moved to. I don't like it and wouldn't buy one now.

The Response will be my next boat. This boat is about 11 years old. I wonder how much time it has left? If Malibu discontinues it before I'm ready, I'd have to jump over to a SN 196.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 88Skier

• WakeGirl

• UWSkier

• andyb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The changes to the new Response Lxi don't seem to be going over so well with a lot of crew members and I agree. That was the boat I would have moved to. I don't like it and wouldn't buy one now.

The Response will be my next boat. This boat is about 11 years old. I wonder how much time it has left? If Malibu discontinues it before I'm ready, I'd have to jump over to a SN 196.

I guess no one ever asked, why do you have two boats ?

If Malibu discontinues it before I'm ready, I'd have to jump over to a SN 196.
As much as I hate to see myself type it...I agree. Yesterday morning I skied behind a brand new closed bow Nautique... :unsure: ...at 34 / 28 the wake wasn't small and soft... :unsure: ...it wasn't there. Shocking.gif No exaggeration.

That really hurt to type. :(

I'm partner on the 88 Skier with a buddy that lives out of state all but about 2 weeks per year. I bought the Sporty for my family. I may end up with three boats eventually. Surprised.gif

I'm partner on the 88 Skier with a buddy that lives out of state all but about 2 weeks per year. I bought the Sporty for my family. I may end up with three boats eventually. Surprised.gif

Sweet !

I wish they would bring back something like the sporster. There is a market for smaller boats. Most beginner wakeboarders can't jump a loaded up vdrive wake anyways.

I liked the lxi at first, but now that they are pushing it and overlooking the lx I don't know... I like the traditional ski boat look and don't know why they're getting away from it.

I'm talking about the big brand name on the side of the boat that has been a standout feature of a tournament ski boat for decades, as well as the solid lines and sloped nose that has made ski boats stand out for so long.

I personally don't like how wide the lxi is or the walk thru. I prefer the lx or just the closed bow. It's a ski boat and should remain a ski boat!

if they discontinue the response and don't replace it with another 19 or 20 foot 85-90" beam boat I would also go elsewhere (if I even had enough money to think about buying one). There is something to be said about sticking to your roots and knowing where you came from!!!!

One of the most attractive boats out there is the X7 for people like me because you can do everything with it and its still a "cool" w8k boat - with tower and "X" graphics, etc..

I like the idea of the ride series, but I don't know if its going to take off, at least not where I live.

I'm also a fan of the traditional tower design. I like the new tower, but give people an option of an alum. swoop tower!!!

Good thing you didn't get that boat sales job H2O, as you'd go broke in a heartbeat if your living depended on the sale of Sportster and Response-like boats. Take a tour of either of the Malibu plants and see how many Response's are in the process. Last trip I had to Merced in 2004, they said that plant built 14 Sportsters all year. TN builds a few more than CA but the demand was very, very low.

I personally don't think that the Response is going anywhere. I think there are too many hardcore skiboat afficionados that want a closed bow skiboat that will keep that model alive. The Response also seems to be preferred by barefooters over the Lxi.

What does everyone think about the SN 196 vs. the Prostar 190 (both closed bow). It seems the SN 196 has better wakes and more speed & acceleration, but I think the Prostar is a much nicer looking boat. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

I wouldn't be too quick to drive the wooden stake thru the RLXi yet.

Those who were around in 2002 when the RLXi was introduced (Model Year 2003) you may remember that the old MBO site was very harsh on it, and everyone was talking about bailing to other manufacturers. For its first year, Tom, and others, were slamming it every time they had an opportunity (Windshield, drivers seat, low bow, questions about the wake on an open bow, etc.).

Now I hear that we love the RLXi so much, it was such a perfect boat, how could they change it.....

I find it interesting that the Windshield is an issue again (we LOVE the one we hated), the new bow is too HIGH, and we are wondering if the wakes will be any better. Deja Vue??

I am not saying that I like 100% of what I am seeing, but I have invested enough in the brand and have a high degree of confidence that Malibu won't miss the mark. Hey, the RLXi isn't even in full production yet!

I wouldn't be too quick to drive the wooden stake thru the RLXi yet.

Those who were around in 2002 when the RLXi was introduced (Model Year 2003) you may remember that the old MBO site was very harsh on it, and everyone was talking about bailing to other manufacturers. For its first year, Tom, and others, were slamming it every time they had an opportunity (Windshield, drivers seat, low bow, questions about the wake on an open bow, etc.).

Now I hear that we love the RLXi so much, it was such a perfect boat, how could they change it.....

I find it interesting that the Windshield is an issue again (we LOVE the one we hated), the new bow is too HIGH, and we are wondering if the wakes will be any better. Deja Vue??

I am not saying that I like 100% of what I am seeing, but I have invested enough in the brand and have a high degree of confidence that Malibu won't miss the mark. Hey, the RLXi isn't even in full production yet!

Excellent job putting it into perspective. Kinda funny too.

I agree about the RLxi when it first came out. I wouldn't even step aboard it at the boat show when I ordered my Sporty, it was so ugly. It did evntually grow on me but, I don't think this one will.

Very welll said. I'll just add that many of you that are dogging on the '07 should at least wait until you can see one, or better yet drive & ski one before giving it the old thumbs down.

As for the Response, I'd be a little surprised to see that go away. Not just because there are too many hard core slalom dudes out there, but because if they do, they take away the only DD that meets the 20' rule. There are still enough people living on lakes that have to meet that requirement that I don't think that Malibu would take that option away. Of course, ICBW.

The response is here to stay, it will change looks and shape but that boat is here to stay.

I agree with WG, try it before issueing your official review based upon some photos and heresay.

That said I heard that Carbonworx was building the hull....

The response is here to stay, it will change looks and shape but that boat is here to stay.

I agree with WG, try it before issueing your official review based upon some photos and heresay.

wooo hooooo, sign me up. A lighter weight boat and stronger - can I get graphics that match my deathtrap, er, ski? Biggrin.gif

ROFL.gifROFL.gif

I like the new RLXi. I think the lines are cool. Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

But what do I know, I have the ugliest boat on the market. Yahoo.gif

no the svone, elan amercian skier and tigettrax are still uglier!!!

I'm withholding judgement on the new models until I see them in person. I do have some doubts about the paint options... but that remains to be seen. I never did really like the options on the '03-'06 RLXi. While I loved the lines and after the '03, loved the cockpit, I always thought it needed another two smaller accent stripes instead of the one larger one; kindof like they still have on the RLX.

I don't think the Response is going anywhere either. It's still a real popular model. It's how they keep the lovers of the classics like me happy. They don't really change it much. ROFL.gif

I'm withholding judgement on the new models until I see them in person. I do have some doubts about the paint options... but that remains to be seen. I never did really like the options on the '03-'06 RLXi. While I loved the lines and after the '03, loved the cockpit, I always thought it needed another two smaller accent stripes instead of the one larger one; kindof like they still have on the RLX.

After see the 07 RLXi in person last week its not as ugly as it does in the pictures . I think its the color combinations that make it look bad. If you take a look at my gallery under mods. you can see that I added an extra stripe on the hull and I'm sure more a few $ Malibu would do it in the gel.

As far as the SN 196, thats an ugly boat from the back. Vomit.gif

Malibu Australia have brought back the Sporty as an entry level boat - carb motor/no PP or frills. At the US/Aus$ exchange rate, a Sporty would be a bargain I would think.

After see the 07 RLXi in person last week its not as ugly as it does in the pictures . I think its the color combinations that make it look bad. If you take a look at my gallery under mods. you can see that I added an extra stripe on the hull and I'm sure more a few $ Malibu would do it in the gel.

I personally think I will like the lines of the RLXi and the Sunscape 20LSV from what I've seen. It's going to depend entirely on the color scheme. I would love to see a classic scheme option with a large drip-molded Malibu decal on the side of the hull on both of those boats.

Interior remains to be graded later. :)

BTW, love the stripe addition on the LXi!

Edited by UWSkier