Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

01 to 04 toyota tacoma as a tow vehicle

williemon

Anyone ever use one of that years double cab, or any other cab with v6 to tow a malibu? Id love to have that truck in a 4x4 but wondered about it towing the  4k to 4500 total weight bu. 

Have the boat. 2001 VLX with single axel boatmate. Would like to have the truck. Id tow mostly 10 miles one way to a local ramp. Maybe a 30 mile one way a few times a year. 

It should do the job if it is 4wd, I think the next gen was rated for up to 6,500 with the max tow package. I do not remember what the 01-04 was rated for. I do know that the 04 double cab 4wd TRD I had was a really tough ride, felt every little bump in the road.

We used to use our 2005 Tacoma to tow a 19ft I/O and it did just fine. Not sure about an older one and a bu. 

A family friend of ours had an older one and a small Bigfoot trailer and he always said it was pushing it. 

Edited by Cole2001

I towed a late 80's 17.5 foot seaswirl outboard with a 1990 4 Runner, and it pulled ok, with it's strong 6 cylinder motor and 5 speed I had.  But over the pass, and downhill, that boat on that old ez-loader style trailer really pushed the 4 Runner around.  I would have to feel that a Tacoma from the early 00's would be similar.  Maybe you could do ok for shorter distances on the flat-ish.  But I wouldn't want to go far or deal with elevation or passes.

Let me preface this by saying am a walking 3rd gen (96-02) 4runner dictionary. I have a 2002 4runner with the same 3.4L v6. It is rated to tow 5,000lbs, tacoma might be a little more.  I have 2001 Sunsetter Lxi it should be right around 4500lbs. I can pull it around no problem, its great for moving it around the yard. I did a 0-60mph run to see how fast, I mean slow, it is.  It took 28seconds to go from 0-55mph on flat, maybe slightly down hill. I have upgraded brakes so it stops great.

I would not tow it more than necessary, but it would do it if you take your time.

Edit: If you do pull with the that tacoma, make sure you do the Tundra brake upgrade.  1st gen Tundra calipers and rotors will bolt right up.  There are two sizes of calipers and the wheels limit which ones you can use.  Also, make sure you bypass the transmission cooler which is built into the radiator, they are known to fail after ~150K miles and mix ATF and coolant taking out the trans. Just add an external oil to air cooler and be done with it.

Edited by twitchee2