Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What an end to the season :(

UWSkier

I was just getting ready to leave the office on Thursday for a weekend chock full of course skiing on our lake, which is always dead the weekend before Labor Day, when my phone rang. On the other end was my dad. "Hey, do you know where I can get a prop?" Cry.gif So he ran up to the dealership on Thursday night and grabbed a new prop. We popped it on first thing Friday morning, but still had a nasty vibe. Dammit... So we haul the whole boat up to the dealership this time. They tell us the strut is bent, but they'll have us back on the water by Saturday afternoon. OK, sounds good. Saturday afternoon comes and the phone rings. "Uh, hi. Hate to tell you this, but the shaft is bent too. We can still fix it today, but it's going to cost a bit more." At this point, we had to halt the repairs in order to get an insurance adjuster to authorize them... which of course didn't happen until today.

Next weekend, nobody can go up to the lake, and after that is wedding hell. We pulled the lift and dock yesterday, the earliest ever for us, but not before going out and enjoying a killer set behind my buddy's SN 206. So, the boat is winterized, the dock and lift are out of the water, and my last set of the year on my lake came in August behind a CorrectCraft. Cry.gif

The crazy thing is, he was only turning about 1000 RPM when he hit the rocks, and had pulled back to neutral a moment before impact. Only 2 blades were bent. The other two were unscathed. It was enough of a jolt to kill the engine. I was surprised to find out the shaft was bent from that low speed impact though... It happened when taking my grandparents and my mom's aunt and uncle for a slow cruise around the lake. I guess that's what you get for being a nice guy sometimes...

I was just getting ready to leave the office on Thursday for a weekend chock full of course skiing on our lake, which is always dead the weekend before Labor Day, when my phone rang. On the other end was my dad. "Hey, do you know where I can get a prop?" Cry.gif So he ran up to the dealership on Thursday night and grabbed a new prop. We popped it on first thing Friday morning, but still had a nasty vibe. Dammit... So we haul the whole boat up to the dealership this time. They tell us the strut is bent, but they'll have us back on the water by Saturday afternoon. OK, sounds good. Saturday afternoon comes and the phone rings. "Uh, hi. Hate to tell you this, but the shaft is bent too. We can still fix it today, but it's going to cost a bit more." At this point, we had to halt the repairs in order to get an insurance adjuster to authorize them... which of course didn't happen until today.

Next weekend, nobody can go up to the lake, and after that is wedding hell. We pulled the lift and dock yesterday, the earliest ever for us, but not before going out and enjoying a killer set behind my buddy's SN 206. So, the boat is winterized, the dock and lift are out of the water, and my last set of the year on my lake came in August behind a CorrectCraft. Cry.gif

The crazy thing is, he was only turning about 1000 RPM when he hit the rocks, and had pulled back to neutral a moment before impact. Only 2 blades were bent. The other two were unscathed. It was enough of a jolt to kill the engine. I was surprised to find out the shaft was bent from that low speed impact though... It happened when taking my grandparents and my mom's aunt and uncle for a slow cruise around the lake. I guess that's what you get for being a nice guy sometimes...

Its not just nice guys, it happens to jerks like me as well...

End of the season? No.gif Next week-end will be the last hoorah for most wallies then the water gets nice. :)

We were out this morning and had the lake to ourselves from 8:00 to 10:15. Yahoo.gif After Labor Day Week-End it gets nothing but better. Yes.gif

Yep. CVZ took it down. Good job by the Wisconsin boy going out and beating the likes of Stokes and St. Onge by turning 3.25 figure 8's!

Not sure where Fleck ended up. I didn't get to see the whole thing. I kinda popped in and out.

I thought I was the only one packing it in. I winterized the Skier last weekend and am pulling everything else out this weekend. The last two weeks around here, we've gone from heat wave to 40 degree mornings and the trees are changing color. Let's hope for lots of snow.

My brother hit a log once at idle and bent the strut, shaft, rudder and prop. Never can tell how bad it'll be.

Sorry to hear it! At least you still have water in your lakes. We have no water and all ramps are closed on my home lake. Cry.gif

I'm not sure which is worse....

Sorry to hear the season ending so quick.

Bummer UW. I sure know how you feel. My incident at the WOW totaled $4100. New prop, new strut, new shaft, new rudder and gel coat damage. Mad.gif Good thing insurance covered it.

When is Nick's wedding? I know it is soon.

RV

One more. Again, sorry to hear it UW...I know the feeling!

Wow. That's a lot of missing water. I sure hope you see plenty of rain before next season!

Wow. That's a lot of missing water. I sure hope you see plenty of rain before next season!

Thanks and I hope so too! We are dropping 1' every 10 days. We did get some rain today but it wasn't much. The lake is down at least 2 feet from when those pictures were taken.

YouDub.. I know that sickening feeling only too well. It seems really bad luck to have done so much damage with such little impact but momentum must have been the bogey!!

I feel so sorry for you guys winterising. Spring has arrived early here and hopes are high for a long hot months through until the end of April. 7 whole months of it!!

Come on over.

Thanks and I hope so too! We are dropping 1' every 10 days. We did get some rain today but it wasn't much. The lake is down at least 2 feet from when those pictures were taken.

eubanks...you should come play w us this weekend...plenty of water to be had

-krak

Bummer UW. I sure know how you feel. My incident at the WOW totaled $4100. New prop, new strut, new shaft, new rudder and gel coat damage. Mad.gif Good thing insurance covered it.

When is Nick's wedding? I know it is soon.

RV

9/23 is the date. There will be 3 ski boats there. Plan is to ski between the ceremony and reception. Crazy.gif

$4100!!! Holy hell. The first time I read that, I saw $1400 and though "wow, I would've expected more..." Yikes!

Sorry to hear udub Cry.gif You should move south, you can get more season and you would have gotten her fixed and rode on till the end of the year.

Two problems with that. 1. I'd have to give up snowmobiling. 2. I'd have to sell my Packer tickets.... two things that ain't happening in this lifetime. :)

That sucks, I snapped a shaft right at the coupler while footing on the boom one time. The shaft dropped through the packing box and luckily stopped due to the prop hitting the rudder. Just a new shaft, coupler, and prop was reshaped. Take someone up on their offer!!!

Thats unbelieveable!!! I've never seen something like that before-will you actually have water in there again? How come there's grass growing?

Is that somekind of field that people decided to dam up or something? I'm honestly in shock; I believe it cuz I see it, but I'm having a hard time....

I would think it would take years to produce enough rain water to fill the lake back up since its down at least 3-4 feet... how much rain do you get in a year?

Edited by H20ski Dude