Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Houseboating on Shasta

kb3

A foot a day is not that uncommon. McClure typically drops at that rate.

Oh and Kb3...with the height of your 247 you should be more than fine towing it along side the houseboat as long as you have good bumpers. I always tow my boat next to the houseboat when underway and have never had a problem, my HB or rental.

Along side vs. behind? I guess I will have to take a look as to how the side of the houseboat lines up with the side of the 247.

They're the same length.

BTW - how do you connect a boat "along side" of a house boat - I've been HBing many times, and never even seen this. We have never had a problem towing behind, and we've towed some low freeboard boats, MC 190 - several times, Echelon, Rlx.

There should be cleats built into the side of the HB and you just tie off nose and stern with achoring rope, Make sure you have lots of buoys between the boats and your golden.

make sure your ropes are GOOD, and that you leave a bit of slack for wakes/play.

i saw a guy tear the side of his I/O off at the back cleat, because his bow-rope broke while towing next to a houseboat (on Shasta)

personally, i'm for dragging her behind, and jumping in and swimming to the ski boat if there is an emergency. still more time to react than if she's tied to the side.

I've always towed behind. However, if the seas are rough, or there are alot of other boats around, I would recommend having someone else drive your ski boat.

There was a story I saw about a Tige that sunk on Powell when getting hit by rollers while being towed.

Tow from behind...thats what 99% of the people (that I have seen) at Shasta do. We have towed jet skis, 190's, VLX's, I/O's, etc...without a single problem. :)

I guess it's all perspective...being a houseboat owner I've always towed alongside my houseboat and 99% of the other HB owners on my lake do the same. I rarely see a boat being towed behind a HB. LS-One and I took some pretty big wakes over Labor Day weekend and it was a non event having the Bu tied to the HB. I think towing on a long line is a PITA because once you stop you have no control of the Bu approaching on the line and you have to catch it as it approaches or swim to it. With it tied to the side of the boat towards the back you can pull up to shore throw the ropes and pound the stakes and the Bu is where it should be...unhook and go ski. Dontknow.gif

Mike, I think the difference between rental boats and private boats. The rentals don't have much access on the side, or good places to tie off the boats.

I'd be more worried about HB to 'bu contact while towing than having the boat back 70' and knowing that when you need to stop, someone needs to go drive the 'bu and get it outta the way.

Also, many of the the best places to park at Shasta are up little nooks - and the houseboat doesn't maneuver as well (all relative.. ;)) with the boat tied to the side

I guess I am just going to have to hire a driver to handle the bu while I am repositioning the houseboat. What would one have to pay for a driver....all expenses paid for a week on Shasta.... :lol:

Mike, I think the difference between rental boats and private boats. The rentals don't have much access on the side, or good places to tie off the boats.

I'd be more worried about HB to 'bu contact while towing than having the boat back 70' and knowing that when you need to stop, someone needs to go drive the 'bu and get it outta the way.

Also, many of the the best places to park at Shasta are up little nooks - and the houseboat doesn't maneuver as well (all relative.. ;)) with the boat tied to the side

I've towed ski boats along side rental houseboats so I'm not sure I agree with what you're saying but regardless, it's really not worth debating any further ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We got back Saturday afternoon from a great week long trip on Shasta. It is too bad that it is over 250 miles from my house, otherwise I would spend all my time on that lake. The water temp varied between 77 and 80 degrees all week. The weather was awesome for the first part of the week....turn a little windy and cool near the weekend. We did not have any problem finding glass to ride on all day everyday. I was thinking that gas at $4.50 a gallon would slow down my fun....but considering I put three tanks of fuel in the bu for the week....I guess I had lots of fun (remember....85 gallon tank)

Thanks for all that gave their advice and input. The wife had a great time on her first houseboat trip and is asking when we are going again.

Only problem all week was the alternator on the bu....it quit working on Friday. Calling tomorrow for an appointment to get it replaced.

Ken

So where did you end up taking the HB? Did you find some good areas? What did you like/not-like about the lake?

Glad you had a great time Ken, Shasta is a wonderful lake

We launched out of Jones Valley on the Pit River arm and spent the first night just inside the Squaw arm. On Sunday we moved up into the McCloud arm (based on a suggestion by an unnamed Malibu Crew member). We travelled just up past Holiday Harbor and found a great little cove. Stayed there for a couple of days and played on the McCloud arm. We had people coming and going all week and because they were arriving at Jones Valley.....I wasted a ton of gas going back and forth with the bu. Near the end of the week we moved further up the Squaw arm. By far the McCloud is much nicer to look at...and will probably spend most of our time up there next time. We took the bu as far as possible up that arm one day....gorgeous up there, but a long drive via houseboat. It really didn't matter where we went....we found more glass than we could handle every day Yahoo.gif

So where did you end up taking the HB? Did you find some good areas? What did you like/not-like about the lake?

Glad you had a great time Ken, Shasta is a wonderful lake

We launched out of Jones Valley on the Pit River arm and spent the first night just inside the Squaw arm. On Sunday we moved up into the McCloud arm (based on a suggestion by an unnamed Malibu Crew member). We travelled just up past Holiday Harbor and found a great little cove. Stayed there for a couple of days and played on the McCloud arm. We had people coming and going all week and because they were arriving at Jones Valley.....I wasted a ton of gas going back and forth with the bu. Near the end of the week we moved further up the Squaw arm. By far the McCloud is much nicer to look at...and will probably spend most of our time up there next time. We took the bu as far as possible up that arm one day....gorgeous up there, but a long drive via houseboat. It really didn't matter where we went....we found more glass than we could handle every day Yahoo.gif

NICE! Glad to hear it was a great week.....