Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Repair - Houston area

Any one have a good experience with prop repairs (Acme 537) in the greater Houston area? I've had several done at different places and haven't been completely thrilled with the work. Looking for ideas.

Thanks

Baumann Marine - 2311 SSgt Macario Garcia Dr (713) 926-6908

They are off I-10 East, but literally just a stones throw away from Buffalo Bayou//ship channel. They will charge about $110-120 for a 4 blade. I have had both of my Acme's repaired there. They are very good. Family run - Mrs Baumann generally is at the front desk or one of her 2 sons. They will generally turn work around in 2-3 days. Downside is you have to find the place. Google it before you go to get good directions. Not easy to find as they are in a commercial area. They do a lot of commercial props - the kind that takes a small hoist to lift.

Thanks Gordon.

Baumann Marine - 2311 SSgt Macario Garcia Dr (713) 926-6908

They are off I-10 East, but literally just a stones throw away from Buffalo Bayou//ship channel. They will charge about $110-120 for a 4 blade. I have had both of my Acme's repaired there. They are very good. Family run - Mrs Baumann generally is at the front desk or one of her 2 sons. They will generally turn work around in 2-3 days. Downside is you have to find the place. Google it before you go to get good directions. Not easy to find as they are in a commercial area. They do a lot of commercial props - the kind that takes a small hoist to lift.

I sent a 525 out to tacomapropellers.com their price was $92.00. They have ACME blocks and did a nice job on a prop that had a couple blades dog-eared 1 inch over, no material loss though. Turn around was 8 days from the day I shipped.

I sent a 525 out to tacomapropellers.com their price was $92.00. They have ACME blocks and did a nice job on a prop that had a couple blades dog-eared 1 inch over, no material loss though. Turn around was 8 days from the day I shipped.

I had mine done at a local shop (no help for Houston) and it looks great. I haven't tried it out yet, but the rework came with a print out of the props specs before and after the repair. It had allot of #'s all sorts of different measurements. Not sure if this is the standard for prop repair these days, but it seemed scientific. Anyone know if this is a good thing or a bad thing? Point is you could ask the shop if they have a way to scan the prop to determine if it has been reworked to specs (that's what they called it).

I had mine done at a local shop (no help for Houston) and it looks great. I haven't tried it out yet, but the rework came with a print out of the props specs before and after the repair. It had allot of #'s all sorts of different measurements. Not sure if this is the standard for prop repair these days, but it seemed scientific. Anyone know if this is a good thing or a bad thing? Point is you could ask the shop if they have a way to scan the prop to determine if it has been reworked to specs (that's what they called it).

Sounds like they ran it on "propscan" and yes it is a good thing. You want your prop to be as close to new condition as possible. Another tech that they sometimes use is MRI (don't ask me what it is). A third, is they use manufacturer's "blocks". Unfortunately, I am starting to get somewhat knowledgeable regarding this area.