Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 T22 Build

Raimie

4 hours ago, Kalamazoo said:

I'd reconsider factory heat. Assuming you are fairly DIY handy...go aftermarket. I bought 2 3-outlet heatcraft cores and circ pump on sale for under $800. Pretty easy to install...toughest part of course is drilling 3" holes in the boat. I have 4 hot tubes in main cabin, one at drivers feet and a vent at drivers feet. Everybody gets a tube! no fighting! trust me on this one...

I don't know if it's an option but Adam had the fender hanger things that I though were very nice.

Ya, I am considering that as well. We installed a 4 outlet on the 14 and I was struggling to accept that we would be down one pullout with the new boat. Our heater gets used quite a bit by my kids so I am leaning towards going that way. On my 14 I got a great deal on a heater craft group buy and saved some money going that way for sure.

4 hours ago, Kalamazoo said:

I'd reconsider factory heat. Assuming you are fairly DIY handy...go aftermarket. I bought 2 3-outlet heatcraft cores and circ pump on sale for under $800. Pretty easy to install...toughest part of course is drilling 3" holes in the boat. I have 4 hot tubes in main cabin, one at drivers feet and a vent at drivers feet. Everybody gets a tube! no fighting! trust me on this one...

I don't know if it's an option but Adam had the fender hanger things that I though were very nice.

For $1k msrp you get 3 vents and two pull out tubes. 1 at drivers feet and 4 in the drivers seat base (2 fixed, 2 pull out). Seems like Malibu listened to all the complaints about location of tubes/vents in the past. Pretty reasonable when you factor in whatever discount off msrp you're getting. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Pnwrider said:

For $1k msrp you get 3 vents and two pull out tubes. 1 at drivers feet and 4 in the drivers seat base (2 fixed, 2 pull out). Seems like Malibu listened to all the complaints about location of tubes/vents in the past. Pretty reasonable when you factor in whatever discount off msrp you're getting. 

The 5 outlet was an a24 option. I wish there was a four (3 pullouts) on the t22

• Like 1

I'm also looking into possibly building a T22

Looking at the gatorstep website the T22 kit(2017) is nearly the same price as the factory option. 

What are you thinking for bags? It's a $600 rears and $300 bow option at my dealer for them to install. The one I demoed had 750s in the rear but I do not know the specifics on the bow bag. 

I'm thinking I could probably save about $300 and possibly get bigger rears if I buy from WakeMAKERS if they have a non custom bow bag that fits.  

21 minutes ago, Stevo said:

@IXFE how easy was the gatorstep install?

@Raimie

If you graduated kindergarten you are already an expert Gatorstep installer.

Honestly, the entire boat (incl every piece around the gunnel) took me maybe an hour. And I'm super careful. This was my first time too!

One of the big advantages to Gatorstep is that when you lay it down, if you make a mistake it comes up easily and can be repositioned. The adhesive doesn't "cure" for a few minutes. 

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Raimie said:

My dealer mentioned you can get a flooring credit if you don't get a floor covering. I was wondering if the floor is textured or not depending on if you are getting soft grip or carpet?

Dealer also mentioned the floor is SeaDek and we could order direct but that it is a little more expensive that way

You know how sometimes IXFE shoots his mouth off and other times he shares FACTS?  This is one of those posts that's straight up FACT! :salute:

Your dealer is wrong on BOTH counts (shocking, I know)...

1) Starting in 2018 Gatorstep is in fact the official supplier for Axis "soft touch" flooring. Sea Deck is no longer involved. 

2) The factory color is NOT black. It is called "Shark Fin" with black background (the grout). Here's what that combo looks like. I had it in my 2016 23 LSV

IMG_8118.PNG

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, IXFE said:

2) The factory color is NOT black. It is called "Shark Fin" with black background (the grout). Here's what that combo looks like. I had it in my 2016 23 LSV

The factory top deck from axis is black. No option to choose the grey that's on the floor. It's weird. It's what kept me from ordering it (even tho I regret that decision now). 

I think that's maybe what was being referred to??

17 minutes ago, Anderson24 said:

The factory top deck from axis is black. No option to choose the grey that's on the floor. It's weird. It's what kept me from ordering it (even tho I regret that decision now). 

I think that's maybe what was being referred to??

If you're talking about the option known as "deck track" then I have no idea. I can only speak for the floor. 

If the factory isn't offering those top deck pieces to match the floor, that's weird. But like I said, you should just order the matching pieces direct from Gatorstep. I had them on my 17 for the first time and LOVED them. 

Same info. from my dealer, deck track is only available in Black.  I don't see anyone who knows better selecting that option knowing they can order a match to the floor direct, and select only the pieces you want.  Nose piece and rear gunnels would be the only ones I would order.

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

You know how sometimes IXFE shoots his mouth off and other times he shares FACTS?  This is one of those posts that's straight up FACT! :salute:

Your dealer is wrong on BOTH counts (shocking, I know)...

1) Starting in 2018 Gatorstep is in fact the official supplier for Axis "soft touch" flooring. Sea Deck is no longer involved. 

IMG_8118.PNG

Was out at the dealership a couple weeks ago looking at the '18 T22 and was told Axis is all gatorstep now.  Some dealers pay attention and some not sooo much. 

Ps. I dig the gatorstep over seadeck

Edited by ID AX
6 minutes ago, IXFE said:

If you're talking about the option known as "deck track" then I have no idea. I can only speak for the floor. 

If the factory isn't offering those top deck pieces to match the floor, that's weird. But like I said, you should just order the matching pieces direct from Gatorstep. I had them on my 17 for the first time and LOVED them. 

Yes, the "deck Trac" is what I am referring to. It's black gatorstep. 

I didn't want it because I thought it wouldn't match. But then they went and put a few random pieces on the boat (glovebox, aluminum plates on bow, etc). So now if you were to get a grey kit to put on gunnels it wouldn't match the stuff that they put on from factory. It's weird. Your best best bet is to tear off the black stuff and redo with grey I think. 

@IXFE Great stuff as usual!

So, the black I was talking about was the top deck "soft grip" on the gunnels.

I am super glad to hear its GatorStep, not SeaDek. I have had an amazing experience with gatorstep on my entry gunnels and bow and think it is a great product.

The floor/platform is the grey sharkfin, and that is what I want on the entry gunnels and bow as well. I may do what @Anderson24 suggested and just remove the vent pieces and replace with gray... or I might just get the grey pieces for the bow and entry gunnels and see how it looks.

3 hours ago, vanamp said:

I'm also looking into possibly building a T22

Looking at the gatorstep website the T22 kit(2017) is nearly the same price as the factory option. 

What are you thinking for bags? It's a $600 rears and $300 bow option at my dealer for them to install. The one I demoed had 750s in the rear but I do not know the specifics on the bow bag. 

I'm thinking I could probably save about $300 and possibly get bigger rears if I buy from WakeMAKERS if they have a non custom bow bag that fits.  

I'm not 100% sure yet but likely will go 750s

13 hours ago, Raimie said:

My dealer mentioned you can get a flooring credit if you don't get a floor covering. I was wondering if the floor is textured or not depending on if you are getting soft grip or carpet?

Dealer also mentioned the floor is SeaDek and we could order direct but that it is a little more expensive that way

It's not credit. In Axis, snap in carpet is an option, but only like $300 MSRP. Then Soft Grip is around $1000 and DeckADence $1200 I believe. So you can order an Axis with no flooring, and it's just the textured fiberglass. Just an FYI. 

1 hour ago, Monkeybutt said:

Anderson24 - how much was the hydraulic steering option?  I experienced the same thing on the 2017 with the pull on the steering wheel ...

$1100-ish if I remember correctly

2 minutes ago, IXFE said:

That's right!  I forgot you splurged on that. Super anxious to hear how it behaves. 

It behaves well!!

its definitely a "tighter" feel when steering in general. Not the free-feeling of the standard cable. That being said it tracks like a laser once you have your heading. So when surf gate deploys...you make the steering correction...then no effort to hold it there, you can even take your hands off wheel if you wanted. Sounds like it's similar to what your 25lsv did, but I can only assume because of the size of your boat it didn't pull? The old t22 "pulled" the entire time surfing. 

Wife is happy...money well spent!

4 minutes ago, Anderson24 said:

It behaves well!!

its definitely a "tighter" feel when steering in general. Not the free-feeling of the standard cable. That being said it tracks like a laser once you have your heading. So when surf gate deploys...you make the steering correction...then no effort to hold it there, you can even take your hands off wheel if you wanted. Sounds like it's similar to what your 25lsv did, but I can only assume because of the size of your boat it didn't pull? The old t22 "pulled" the entire time surfing. 

Wife is happy...money well spent!

Nice. This is one of those options I'd be inclined to order if I wasn't flipping. The other is electric brakes. 

On 9/15/2017 at 2:46 PM, Raimie said:

Above is the color scheme I am leaning towards, but I am thinking about going with a white platform and gates. Any thoughts on that from the crew?

Options are getting nailed down...

I still vote vapor ;)

Is it more to have them leave the platform white? I'd almost think no or not much because they are built and sprayed separate of the hull. 

3 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I still vote vapor ;)

Is it more to have them leave the platform white? I'd almost think no or not much because they are built and sprayed separate of the hull. 

The answer to that question can be found in the encyclopedia. Have you looked there?

:rofl: