Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 T22 Build

Raimie

29 minutes ago, Raimie said:

There is a 2 outlet and a 3 outlet option. I had a 4 that I put in on my 14. I am asking the dealer if its possible to get a 4 outlet heater on the 18 even though its not listed as an option on the build sheet. (the ladder isn't either)

Weird, a24 had a 3 outlet and a 5 outlet option. The 5 adds two pullout tubes under driver seat in addition to the 2 fixed vents under driver seat. @Fman posted a pic of the outlets in the seat base from his demo. The 5 adds a second heater core so there may not be enough room in the 22 for this? 

reversible pumps -- unnecessary.  Malibu has PNP figured out with aerators.  They work great.

adjustable SG -- nobody has that so not sure ... we could be missing something.  But PW2 would give a lot of adjustment.

more ballast -- really only matters for bragging rights.  If the wave is as good with less ballast, how is that bad?  Really this comes down to demo demo demo.

1 minute ago, Raimie said:

For me the only major difference between a 17 and my 14 was the tower. Going to the 18 with power wedge made it worth it to me. I have not demoed one yet, but will as soon as my dealer gets one in.

and upgraded motor / reduced tranny ratio.

and real warranty.

I'm totally meh on the chillax seat.  We really only use it as an easy way for guests to hide their junk.

16 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

reversible pumps -- unnecessary.  Malibu has PNP figured out with aerators.  They work great.

adjustable SG -- nobody has that so not sure ... we could be missing something.  But PW2 would give a lot of adjustment.

more ballast -- really only matters for bragging rights.  If the wave is as good with less ballast, how is that bad?  Really this comes down to demo demo demo.

and upgraded motor / reduced tranny ratio.

and real warranty.

I'm totally meh on the chillax seat.  We really only use it as an easy way for guests to hide their junk.

Did you have a stroke when typing this? :lol:

16 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Agreed. I'd most likely skip the chillax if I were ordering again... we never use it.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, teamerickson said:

The trailer steps are the best! I will never have another trailer without them.

I'm not sure I would like using the ladder out of the water? 

agreed.  I even got talked into the bow step and it's awesome too.

But for Raime if the boat is on a life and she isn't trailering on the regular, I could see that as a valid place to save some $$$

20 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

I'm not sure I would like using the ladder out of the water? 

I use it very gently...and I don't let others use it out of the water.  I guess for me, the difference may be that I hardly ever trailer. My boat is on a hoist all summer, sits on the trailer in the winter. Occasionally I take it to a WTW event and hope to take it on vacation sometime.

I will consider the step option as a maybe when I am working the final pricing... in my case I think I could spend that money better elsewhere.

23 minutes ago, IdahoAxis said:

Agreed. I'd most likely skip the chillax if I were ordering again... we never use it.

42 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Good info. I appreciate that. Truthfully, I like being able to remove the seats to clean them and dry everything out. I was a little unsure how I would like them just because of that.

We don't go out on the boat all day, really just use it to ride, then go hang back at the cottage. So we usually don't have much 'stuff' to hide.

This is a great discussion. Thank you everyone for all your input!

My thoughts on chilax.  I have VERY similar seating.  First i absolutely love mine!    The issue with the slide seats is it makes the rear corner seats wonky, most people like to sit with one leg crossing the seat, this doesn't work really well with the seat slid out.   Second, it makes ingress egress a REALLY big step in/out, unless you use corner cushions.   

My solution, I ordered a second slide seat so we could use the slide AND have a complete bench (for the reasons above) with the second slide, it is the preferred seat of about half of my normal crew.  Even with 3 people in the boat the slide seat gets used.  When i only had one slide, we never used it,  again for the reasons above.  One last thing, if you get the seat, add the leanbacks, mine are super comfy, i would think axis would be as well.

Just my thoughts... congrats on new order!

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

My thoughts on chilax.  I have VERY similar seating.  First i absolutely love mine!    The issue with the slide seats is it makes the rear corner seats wonky, most people like to sit with one leg crossing the seat, this doesn't work really well with the seat slid out.   Second, it makes ingress egress a REALLY big step in/out, unless you use corner cushions.   

My solution, I ordered a second slide seat so we could use the slide AND have a complete bench (for the reasons above) with the second slide, it is the preferred seat of about half of my normal crew.  Even with 3 people in the boat the slide seat gets used.  When i only had one slide, we never used it,  again for the reasons above.  One last thing, if you get the seat, add the leanbacks, mine are super comfy, i would think axis would be as well.

Just my thoughts... congrats on new order!

she's only talking about the hinged flipup seat on the port side of the cabin, not the sliding bench (I think).  At least that's what I was talking about.

The chillax seat on the boat we demoed hit the side vinyl on the way up.  We had to pull pretty hard to get it to locked.  Not sure what the deal was but it would probably wear the vinyl pretty quickly.  That aside I don't think it would get used on my boat and will pass if we decide to order. 

Ok awesome. Chillax is off the list.

@DarkSide like Shawn said above, we are talking about the flip up seats on the observers side and behind the driver seat. On the axis sliding rear bench, the seat backs are an $1100 option. I am not really considering it at this time, but I appreciate hearing how your crew utilizes the bench.

I was out with @Anderson24 today on his 18 and he had the hydraulic steering option.  That was a really nice feature.  if you have multiple riders that ride on the port (regular foot) side, then you probably noticed how the wheel pulls hard when surfgate was deployed. The hydraulic steering option almost completely eliminated that pull.  It would just track almost straight with no effort on the wheel. 

Edited by Willis717
  • Like 2
33 minutes ago, Raimie said:

@Anderson24 sorry...but you are the only one with an 18... what do  you think about the prop? Which option did you get? Is it working well for you?

No worries! I can handle all the questions! I got the 2773. It's the torque/high altitude prop. It is plenty for the boat...and maybe too much. I haven't found what it can't pull yet. The hole shot is ridiculous (especially with lift mode). I may order another prop that will reduce the rpms, and keep the 2773 as a spare. Waiting for more info to what that prop would be. 

And I'll check on the cup holders. And the cleats too. I just keep forgetting all the stuff I'm supposed to look at!

I can not say 100% dual batteries are standard on the Axis, but I did rig and prep more boats than I can count this summer and not a single Malibu or Axis had just a single battery - every single one had dual batteries. 

Some things I would opt for on the T22 is the Deck-A-Dence flooring as I find the Sea Deck hard to keep clean and it shows all dirt and I prefer the feel of the Deck-A-Dence. If you do your own routine services to the boat, the flush kit is a must, even if you don't do your own services it is an extremely useful add on when you do need it. The step on the rear of the trailer is worth every penny, I think anyone will regret not ordering it. 

I know you may skip the cupholders, but I would order them from Land n Sea, they really wake up the interior on the boats. 

The chillax seats are very cool, but not necessary. 

If interested, I attached some photos from Inland Boat Company's website, they have a similar color scheme on this A24 as your previous T22. They do not have the stainless cupholders, but maybe you can see how they bring out the side panels by the speakers and look very cool in my opinion.

http://www.inlandboatcompany.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=3838687&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

IMG_3190.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

IMG_3208.JPG

Edited by AndySC
  • Like 3
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:23 PM, Raimie said:

IMG_20170909_080112285_HDR.jpg

Above is the color scheme I am leaning towards, but I am thinking about going with a white platform and gates. Any thoughts on that from the crew?

Options are getting nailed down...

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:05 AM, Raimie said:

CS Cover and Bimini with surf/rope storage.

Base motor, not sure what prop yet...hoping to have some feedback from the crew before I order - Leaning towards base prop based on Anderson24 running @ 4k RPMs with the torque prop. More info needed, however.

SP1 plus a few upgrades to add the bow speakers and sub. Not sure exactly what is included in SP1 yet. Has anyone seen a 17 or 18 with SP1? Wondering if you get wetsounds or not for the cabin speakers.

White tower

Surf Pipe, Surfgates, Power Wedge II

Spinner Racks

3 outlet heater

SeaDeck flooring

Ski Pylon

Depth finder

2nd battery

Entry Ladder

Cleats

Trailer: Alloy wheels, spare tire, white with elite shield coating

Things I am not sure on yet...

2. Soft grip on top deck. I wish I could get gray instead of black. I think black is the only option. Not sure how that will look on the white hull. I will most likely skip this option, but order the pieces I want separately.

5. Battery switch - Not sure if I 'need' this or not.

6. SS Cupholders - Will order aftermarket

7. Tower Quick release latch - I only lower the tower for winter, willing to pass for budget

4 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Above is the color scheme I am leaning towards, but I am thinking about going with a white platform and gates. Any thoughts on that from the crew?

Options are getting nailed down...

I believe I recall reading a post that The soft grip flooring is gatorstep in the axis in 18' . Check out the kit price from gator direct if black factory is your only option. It's and easy install, and you could sell the carpet to recoup some costs.

I run Acme 2277 prop on my T23. My elevation is around 1000'. I have PnP 750's in lockers and a 650 bow bag under the seats. With the boat sacked out and 10 people in the boat I run around 3400-3500 rpm doing 11.2 mph. Top speed at 5600 rpm is around 41 mph. I like the prop but I am no pro rider by any means. Fuel use is ok...

I have SP3 so I don't know what is included on SP1.

I also added the second battery and the switch was part of that upgrade. Definitely need the battery switch. It lets you isolate batteries if you want and lets you turn off power to the boat when not in use. It's a must on all boats in my opinion. 

I'd reconsider factory heat. Assuming you are fairly DIY handy...go aftermarket. I bought 2 3-outlet heatcraft cores and circ pump on sale for under $800. Pretty easy to install...toughest part of course is drilling 3" holes in the boat. I have 4 hot tubes in main cabin, one at drivers feet and a vent at drivers feet. Everybody gets a tube! no fighting! trust me on this one...

I don't know if it's an option but Adam had the fender hanger things that I though were very nice.

5 hours ago, Stevo said:

I believe I recall reading a post that The soft grip flooring is gatorstep in the axis in 18' . Check out the kit price from gator direct if black factory is your only option. It's and easy install, and you could sell the carpet to recoup some costs.

My dealer mentioned you can get a flooring credit if you don't get a floor covering. I was wondering if the floor is textured or not depending on if you are getting soft grip or carpet?

Dealer also mentioned the floor is SeaDek and we could order direct but that it is a little more expensive that way

Edited by Raimie
3 minutes ago, Raimie said:

My dealer mentioned you can get a flooring credit if you don't get a floor covering. I was wondering if the floor is textured or not depending on if you are getting soft grip or carpet?

Its textured regardless