Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

"Calibrate Power Wedge" warning on 2017 LSV?

Well, 10.5 hours into my new boat ownership, and it's got some gremlins! Some of which are chronicled in my screen freezing thread. Today it popped up with an alert "Calibrate Power Wedge" a couple times. I noticed when driving back to my dock that the wedge wouldn't go into the "stow/lock" position or whatever its called, which also ties into the fact that it gave me a warning "high speed wedge deployed" when I started going fast.

Is this something that I can accomplish on my own, or does it have to go into the dealer? 

Thanks,

Bob

Ours does it fairly regularly as well, no ryhme or reason to it. Also a 17 LSV23.  have about 90 hours on it now, doesn't seem to change anything. 

Go into the setting menu and calibrate your wedge. When in neutral just touch the button and it should re-calibrate itself and the warning should go away. 

Keep in kind the first 40 hours or so you will have some quirky things happen, I did on my 17' for sure. After 40-50 hours all these little bugs will work themselves out.

Edited by ConnollyCrew

Go into the debug screen and use the +/- to move the wedge all the way into the down position. Pay attention to the A/D value as well as the voltage.

Have someone shake the wedge foil back and forth and watch those numbers again. If they jump out of the range of 0.49 to 0.51 volts the sensor needs to be recalibrated. Warning, it is touchy as hell.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Yesterday when I took it out it did seem to cycle through fine and I didn't have any issues with wedge warnings, though thinking back I never went fast enough for the alarm to trigger anyhow...

• 11 months later...

I have a 2016 LSV 25.  I received the same message this weekend.  Wedge seemed to have a slight delay in moving to stow on the water when we were done surfing.  Now boat is on my trailer.  Can I recalibrate the wedge on the trailer?  If so, is there a recalibration page on my 7" screen or am I looking for the wedge debug page?  Or do I do both?  Are there any videos or photographs of the screens I am looking for?  As always, thank you for you help on this.

Daniel

14 minutes ago, Setter2016 said:

I have a 2016 LSV 25.  I received the same message this weekend.  Wedge seemed to have a slight delay in moving to stow on the water when we were done surfing.  Now boat is on my trailer.  Can I recalibrate the wedge on the trailer?  If so, is there a recalibration page on my 7" screen or am I looking for the wedge debug page?  Or do I do both?  Are there any videos or photographs of the screens I am looking for?  As always, thank you for you help on this.

Daniel

Good Luck. When it happened to me it was just a blown fuse. 

5C67B867-6C1B-486F-A888-23B8CAD9CB63.jpeg

5F009138-4E46-4CBD-B72F-D225348805D4.jpeg

On 9/4/2017 at 7:45 AM, ConnollyCrew said:

Go into the setting menu and calibrate your wedge. When in neutral just touch the button and it should re-calibrate itself and the warning should go away. 

Keep in kind the first 40 hours or so you will have some quirky things happen, I did on my 17' for sure. After 40-50 hours all these little bugs will work themselves out.

These new boats dont calibrate like that for the wedge, only the surf gates.

OP,  pm me your email and I can send you the instructions on how to calibrate it.

Common problem that can be solved by adjusting the wedge sensor.  I wrote up and posted this instuction a few months back.     So far I have had no issues after making calibration this season.    

PW2 Wedge Calibration Procedure

1)     Go to the settings menu on your 7 inch screen, select debug assist and put the wedge all the way down (to the lift position) using the controls on the 12 inch screen, joystick pad or using the minus icon on the debug assist screen.  The wedge voltage should be 0.51 to 0.53 with wedge down.  The wedge calibration is done by adjusting the sensor while watching the reference voltage.  (Two people make this easier)

2)     To adjust sensor loosen the two screws on the sensor on the starboard wedge arm and rotate the sensor to change the voltage on the debug screen.

3)     Tighten the screws when it is in the correct range.  If the bolt under the sensor is loose, it may need to be tightened so the sensor adjustment will not vary.  

4)     The wedge can be lifted to the stow position using the plus icon on the debug screen.  Do not go past 3.5V fully stored or cal message may pop up first time the wedge is used.   

Notes

The fuse boxes under the dash has a wedge up and wedge down fuse.  Each has a bypass position next to the fuse.  If you insert a good fuse into the bypass position for wedge down, it should move.  The fuse cover has the fuse position and bypass position number on it that corresponds to the correct position on the fuse board. The power button must be on and fuse box led blinking.  If it does not move, there may be a wiring, connection or power/fuse box issue.  If it moves, you may have an issue with the 7 inch viper 2.  

See if the date tag on the back of your 7 inch viper 2 is between 02/06/15 to 07/31/15.  Some of them had issues and your dealer can help you with it.

There is a red screw on the top of the ram assembly that is a bypass. Use a shorty flat head screwdriver and loosen it all the way. Pull wedge back to the stow position, hold and then tighten the screw back.

The wedge has a red hydraulic bypass valve on the top of the actuator.  It can be accessed through a hole in the top of the wedge bracket.  If you turn it counter clockwise about three turns the wedge can be lifted or lowered by hand, then the valve can be turned clockwise and locked into place.

The surf gate actuators also have a red bypass valve that works the same way.  You can use a 10 mm wrench on those.

Does all of this wedge manipulation require the boat to be moving, like on PW1?   I am guessing when you go into the computer it disables the safety feature of the boat being moving before the wedge can be stowed.  

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

Does all of this wedge manipulation require the boat to be moving, like on PW1?   I am guessing when you go into the computer it disables the safety feature of the boat being moving before the wedge can be stowed.  

no it can be done on trailer.  

in response to an earlier post, the warning has nothing to do with speed.  It has to do with the physical angle the wedge not being in absolute precision with the computer.  what 23 said is right on.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

Wedge "calibration" Adjustments are done out of the water on the trailer.   When in Debug screen wedge is moved using the + and - buttons on the screen.  Moves wedge in small increments.  Boat is not moving.  The "wedge is moving" warning alarm will come on when stowing manually just like when boat moving.  

You can use the debug screen with the boat in the water as well to move the wedge.  Hope that helps clear up your question.  

Edited by ORMailbuboater
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Now have a 2017 Malibu 23 LSV - received the Calibrate Wedge warning this weekend.  Wedge will not move from the stowed (locked) position.  Any recommendations?

21 hours ago, showboat said:

Now have a 2017 Malibu 23 LSV - received the Calibrate Wedge warning this weekend.  Wedge will not move from the stowed (locked) position.  Any recommendations?

Look above:

• 11 months later...
On 8/15/2018 at 8:17 AM, Dfowkes said:

Good Luck. When it happened to me it was just a blown fuse. 

5C67B867-6C1B-486F-A888-23B8CAD9CB63.jpeg

5F009138-4E46-4CBD-B72F-D225348805D4.jpeg

Where is the fuse located?

• 1 month later...

Okay so I followed the instructions and it was quite easy.  Will take it out now and see what happens.  Could this issue have cause the boat to perform poorly?  The only position my boat would run well and plane out was on Lift.  Everywhere else the wedge was positioned just didn't really work.  Not sure if I have a separate issue but the boat would rock while in Lift but couldn't even get up to speed in any other position.

• 2 weeks later...

The trouble shooting here was helpful however, my sensor input volt readings are 3 volts higher than they should be. I’m getting 3.51-3.60 readings when adjusting from the (+,-) controller. It was working fine until I took the wedge off to have some cracks in on the arms welded. Any idea why they are so high? 

• 9 months later...

Did you ever get answer to this? We just had the arms welded from cracks in the arms as well. The sensor is now not working correctly. 

I had the check wedge cal come up on my screen.  I went through the debug process and I am reading .51 colts with the wedge down in the lift position. Is there a voltage range I should be between in the stow position?

21 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I had the check wedge cal come up on my screen.  I went through the debug process and I am reading .51 colts with the wedge down in the lift position. Is there a voltage range I should be between in the stow position?

Using the debug assist screen the wedge position should be 0 to 1 and sensor voltage should be 0.50 to 0.55 all the way down.

• 1 month later...

@csleaver similar problem on a 2016 vtx 20 - power wedge stuck in the down position. in debug assist hitting the + button generates a clicking sound but no action. Voltage reading varies between.31 and .40. Does this low sensor reading tell me anything valuable about the source of the problem?  thank you

Many power wedge problems are the result of voltage drop caused by loose or corroded connections or components.  The power post near the port transmission mount connects the battery switch cable to the starter and to the power wedge-surf gate I/O module and relay box.  The ground cable from the battery and for the wedge-surfgate circuit is connected nearby on the engine block.

The I/O module and relay box are mounted to the rear transom inside the engine compartment in 2016.  A loose or corroded connection or faulty relays will often cause the wedge to not work.  Later versions of the 2016 relay box had inline 40 amp fuses in red fuse holders or had breakers on the transom, but the original relay box did not have fuses or breakers near it.  Sometimes tapping on a stuck relay will temporarily unstick them and make the wedge work.

The wedge position on the Debug Assist screen should read 0 to 1 and 0.50 to 0.54 volts when the wedge is all the way down.  When stowed, the wedge position is 200 and the voltage is somewhere around 3.40 to 3.60.  The down position readings are the important ones.

The external wedge position sensor on the wedge mounting bracket can be adjusted by loosening the two screws and turning the sensor clockwise or counter clockwise.  If the sensor is out of adjustment you will get a check wedge sensor alarm at the helm or it will cause the wedge to not move to the correct position when using the helm controls.

@csleaver Thank you for your help. Your info, combined with a boat mechanic that doesn’t have access to Malibu diagnostics but is much smarter than me was able to solve the problem at least for now. Cleaned all the connections we could trace back. Reset the fuse. All good so far.  Thank you! Your help was extremely valuable.